Pawtucket Farmers Market

A friend of mine who lives in the neighborhood here in Pleasant View is trying to bring a farmers market to this area. Heres a snippet of the email she sent out to try and garner some ideas/interest:

Hi guys, I need a bit of feedback here.

I've looked into some information surrounding a sunday morning farmers market that is looking for a spot in Pawtucket or Central Falls.

Based on some suggestions I've had, it seems that Winters school in Pleasant View could be a great spot for such a thing. Great accessibility from all of Pawtucket and 95. And, what better way to bring some foot traffic and get something going on Broadway that we would approve of (rather than a pawn shop). I am willing to do the work to help facilitate this happening, and it seems like it really could, but I need to know whether or not this is something the residents will support when it's there. I may also need some help down the road with getting the word out. The Sunday market is great for us because there are many churches right around Winters and we would need to get the word out to them and do some flyering to buisnesses and residents, basically a bit of PR work. I am willing to lead this venture but I will need some support. And of course, the residents would also need to patronize it.

My wife and I ride our bikes to the Hope high farmers market in the spring/summer, Its run by the same people that are looking for a space here in Pawtucket. Farm Fresh RI

The area that she is talking about is on Broadway right down the street from Lukes. This street has started to look blighted and needs some help but I could see a farmers market really bringing some great traffic to the area.

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts about how we can go about making this happen? Do you like or dislike the idea?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts about how we can go about making this happen? Do you like or dislike the idea?

I really like the idea of it, and I would definitely patronize it on a weekly basis. I've been lookin for a place to buy fresh fruit and vegetables (and hopefully muffins and crap like that too) within walking distance and all I got so far is the Boulevard Meat Market on Armistice. This would be a perfect location.

anybody else familiar with the area? anybody have any feedback please post it.. we are really trying to make this happen and any ideas would help alot. We are in touch with the Farm Fresh people now.

I don't know Pawtucket very well, but I think it would be good right downtown, in one of the parking lots across from City Hall. All the buses converge there and you'd get people going to Slater's Mill. Are those lots municipal or private?

I don't know Pawtucket very well, but I think it would be good right downtown, in one of the parking lots across from City Hall. All the buses converge there and you'd get people going to Slater's Mill. Are those lots municipal or private?

We were trying for the Apex building parking lot but the owner (private owner) was not into the idea at all.

I'm really into the idea of bringing it over here to Pleasant View.. this area needs a boost, its kinda the red headed stepchild of the Pawtucket neighborhoods. I think it has alot of cool potential but needs a kick in the right direction.

but anywhere downtown would be ok too.. just bring it to Pawtucket!

Although the place on Broadway is pretty central, I'm thinkin Cotuit's right in saying it should be closer to the Visitor's Center. I've walked around Pawtucket every friday and the only place I see a critical mass of people is around the Visitor's Center. I'd hate for it to open shop and not survive cause it's in the wrong location.

Whatever you decide though, count on me gettin stuff there. What day are you thinking for it to be open?

This was discussed at the PADS Meeting tonight (my story on The Bucket Blog doesn't cover this) and Herb W was talking about 8,000 sq ft interior year round. There can't be two farmers market projects, right?

Hey Speck. I've been checking out your blogs regularly, they're great!

Were there any specifics that Herb Weiss was talking about in regards to the farmers market?

Were there any specifics that Herb Weiss was talking about in regards to the farmers market?

All that Herb said was in the blog. Not in the blog is the statement by J from Art in Ruins that he is the conduit through which the organizers contacted The City. I have no way of knowing if this is even the same project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, here's what's going on with the farmers market as far as I know it.

Just so you all know, I'm a friend and neighbor of bloodyrocker and we have a small neighborhood assoc. over in Pleasant View.

Back a couple of months ago I was having dinner at the new and lovely madhouse cafe (who, by the way, is charging way too much for a glass of Spier Pinot Grigio, 10$!! geez, it's not NYC, or Boston for goddsakes), but that's a story for another day, I digress.

Anyway, I was thinking "wow, wouldn't the Apex lot be a great spot for a farmers market?" After making a few phone calls I came to find out that there were indeed some people at Farmfresh RI who were looking for a spot in Pawtucket or Central Falls.

Our neighborhood group has been trying to think of ways to revitalize Pleasant View, Broadway more specifically, and we all thought it would be great to have the market somewhere along Broadway. From what I've learned from the farmers group, it's important that the spot be accesible to the entire region (pawt & c.f.) and have good visibility.

So, long story only slightly shortened, after realizing our original spot (Winters school on Broadway) would probably not work, we mulled it over, called farmfresh and the city and we all think that having a seasonal farmers market (June to Oct.) at the corner of Broadway and Exchange st, across from D'angelos is a great spot, both size wize and accessiblity-wise. If it's all a go at the city level (i.e., permission for the lot, getting power hookups, etc.), it looks like we will have it up and running this June, to run sundays 11-3 and will be called something like the Pleasant View Farmers market.

Also, I believe there is another project in the beginning stages for a year round indoors farmers market. I think this is the one that Herb was talking about.

We are working really hard to make this seasonal one happen in Pleasant View this summer and can use all the support we can get, it will be really great for the whole community and the visibility from the highway is such a bonus for Pawtuckets image.

Hi guys, here's what's going on with the farmers market as far as I know it.

Just so you all know, I'm a friend and neighbor of bloodyrocker and we have a small neighborhood assoc. over in Pleasant View.

Back a couple of months ago I was having dinner at the new and lovely madhouse cafe (who, by the way, is charging way too much for a glass of Spier Pinot Grigio, 10$!! geez, it's not NYC, or Boston for goddsakes), but that's a story for another day, I digress.

Anyway, I was thinking "wow, wouldn't the Apex lot be a great spot for a farmers market?" After making a few phone calls I came to find out that there were indeed some people at Farmfresh RI who were looking for a spot in Pawtucket or Central Falls.

Our neighborhood group has been trying to think of ways to revitalize Pleasant View, Broadway more specifically, and we all thought it would be great to have the market somewhere along Broadway. From what I've learned from the farmers group, it's important that the spot be accesible to the entire region (pawt & c.f.) and have good visibility.

So, long story only slightly shortened, after realizing our original spot (Winters school on Broadway) would probably not work, we mulled it over, called farmfresh and the city and we all think that having a seasonal farmers market (June to Oct.) at the corner of Broadway and Exchange st, across from D'angelos is a great spot, both size wize and accessiblity-wise. If it's all a go at the city level (i.e., permission for the lot, getting power hookups, etc.), it looks like we will have it up and running this June, to run sundays 11-3 and will be called something like the Pleasant View Farmers market.

Also, I believe there is another project in the beginning stages for a year round indoors farmers market. I think this is the one that Herb was talking about.

We are working really hard to make this seasonal one happen in Pleasant View this summer and can use all the support we can get, it will be really great for the whole community and the visibility from the highway is such a bonus for Pawtuckets image.

Would this proposed year-round market compete with what I believe has been proposed in Providence for the old produce depot on Promenade Street on the Woonasquatucket River? Supposedly, the idea there is to create a "made in Rhode Island" market with artisanal produce and food products. It seems it would be hard to support two such markets, especially so close together!

• 3 weeks later...

Would this proposed year-round market compete with what I believe has been proposed in Providence for the old produce depot on Promenade Street on the Woonasquatucket River? Supposedly, the idea there is to create a "made in Rhode Island" market with artisanal produce and food products. It seems it would be hard to support two such markets, especially so close together!

I don't know what is up with the year round market idea for Pawtucket, I'll try to find out, maybe Herb will see the thread here and post. Any idea when the Providence one is slated to start up? I agree it might be difficult for the area to support two indoor markets, you never know though, not sure how far along either is in the planning stage.

This is an early version of the seasonal market press release that recently went out in a neighborhood newsletter to the schools.

Pawtucket Farmers Market

Starting on Sunday June 18th, 2006 there will be a

seasonal Farmers Market from 11-3 in the town parking

lot at the corner of Broadway and Exchange St. There

will be fresh locally grown produce for sale and bread

from local bakeries.

With the help of Farmfresh RI and the city of

Pawtucket planning dept, the market was brought to our

area by the Pleasant View Neighborhood assoc. and Weed

and Seed. We are currently seeking vendors, supporters

and volunteers, anyone who is interested, please

contact Pam at 401-339-0345.

See you at the market in June!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what is up with the year round market idea for Pawtucket, I'll try to find out, maybe Herb will see the thread here and post. Any idea when the Providence one is slated to start up? I agree it might be difficult for the area to support two indoor markets, you never know though, not sure how far along either is in the planning stage.

This is an early version of the seasonal market press release that recently went out in a neighborhood newsletter to the schools.

Pawtucket Farmers Market

Starting on Sunday June 18th, 2006 there will be a

seasonal Farmers Market from 11-3 in the town parking

lot at the corner of Broadway and Exchange St. There

will be fresh locally grown produce for sale and bread

from local bakeries.

With the help of Farmfresh RI and the city of

Pawtucket planning dept, the market was brought to our

area by the Pleasant View Neighborhood assoc. and Weed

and Seed. We are currently seeking vendors, supporters

and volunteers, anyone who is interested, please

contact Pam at 401-339-0345.

See you at the market in June!!!

We are very pleased that the City of Pawtucket will have a seasonal Farmers Market beginning in mid-June. The Department of Planning and Redevelopment has been working with the organizers to find the most approrpriate space for the seasonal market. Additionally, we were asked to assist them locate an 8,000 sf space for a 7 day a week market. At this time, there are no buildings owned by the City that could be given to the organizers to operate from. We are in the process of contacting property owners in Pawtucket to see if they might be able to provide this space at low or no costs. I will keep you updated as to this project or others. Just ask me the questions ton the thread Q&A with Herb Weiss. -- Herb Weiss, Pawtucket's Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer.

We are very pleased that the City of Pawtucket will have a seasonal Farmers Market beginning in mid-June. The Department of Planning and Redevelopment has been working with the organizers to find the most approrpriate space for the seasonal market. Additionally, we were asked to assist them locate an 8,000 sf space for a 7 day a week market. At this time, there are no buildings owned by the City that could be given to the organizers to operate from. We are in the process of contacting property owners in Pawtucket to see if they might be able to provide this space at low or no costs. I will keep you updated as to this project or others. Just ask me the questions ton the thread Q&A with Herb Weiss. -- Herb Weiss, Pawtucket's Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer.

This seasonal market coming in to Pleasant View is only happening because of the concerned residents here that want to take this neighborhood back from the blight that has started to overtake it in the last 15 years or so.

I'm going to do anything that is in my power to help make this a great Farmers Market and I'm hoping that this will be only the beginning for Pleasant View. I hope one day this area will entice actual independent restaurants and shops to Broadway and surrounding areas, not just a bunch of dunkin donuts, cellular stores and crappy barbershops (why so many? wtf?).

If the downtown Pawtucket area is to be the artist friendly equivalent to Providence's Downcity then Broadway should be Pawtucket's Wickenden st.

Right now its worse than North Main.

I hope one day this area will entice actual independent restaurants and shops to Broadway and surrounding areas, not just a bunch of dunkin donuts, cellular stores and crappy barbershops (why so many? wtf?).

If the downtown Pawtucket area is to be the artist friendly equivalent to Providence's Downcity then Broadway should be Pawtucket's Wickenden st.

Right now its worse than North Main.

I agree, Pawtucket seems to be lacking any sort of street with some independent charm. I'd say Central Ave right now is the closest to anything that could be considered this way, given it has a few non-chain restaurants and bakeries. It too, however, has a million hair cutting places/barbershops. How many do we need in a 1 mile stretch, and how do they all survive being right next to eachother? Not that I have a problem with them, I'm just wondering what gives.

I really like their website, very nice. I really don't like the Downcity Friday Market's hours, 11:00am - 3:00pm. I really shouldn't have spaced on answering their survey. I liked being able to stop on the way home at the Monday Market last year and buy things for dinner. 11:00-3:00 means I'd have to leave work, buy stuff, go back to work, then take my stuff home, if I manage not to forget it in the fridge at work. :(

I really like their website, very nice. I really don't like the Downcity Friday Market's hours, 11:00am - 3:00pm. I really shouldn't have spaced on answering their survey. I liked being able to stop on the way home at the Monday Market last year and buy things for dinner. 11:00-3:00 means I'd have to leave work, buy stuff, go back to work, then take my stuff home, if I manage not to forget it in the fridge at work. :(

You could always walk over to the Armory market. 3-7pm.

http://www.farmfreshri.org/find/farmersmar...s.php?market=17

You could always walk over to the Armory market. 3-7pm.

http://www.farmfreshri.org/find/farmersmar...s.php?market=17

That's not on the way home though, I'd have to walk past my house. The nice thing about the Monday Market was I could stop on the way home, no extra trip anywhere. I might check out the Armory Market now and then, but it won't be a weekly thing for me.

Yes I understand. Its Rhode Island far. :D

On foot it is, if I had a car I suppose I would drive over there and feel really bad about what I was doing to the environment the entire way there and back. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, here's some updated Farmers Market Info,

Opening day is Sunday June 19th, 12-3, don't miss it!!

Here's a list of vendors we have so far, of course we are looking for more, more, more!!

Hill Orchards - apples, fruit, veggies

Ice Cream

Seven Stars Bakery

Pak Express - Organic asian veggies

New Harvest Coffee

Barden Orchards - peaches, fruit pies

Ruby's Goat Cheese

Absaloma Greenhouse - lettuce, sunflowers

We are working on getting Eastside Eden involved or another plant/cut flower kind of vendor and also an Asian bubble tea/smoothie vendor.

By the way, does everyone know what pearl drinks/bubble teas are? They are the cool asian drinks with tapioca pearls in them, big in Boston & NY, but haven't seen if they are around Providence and I'm not sure if people will know what they are, what do you guys think?

I know we haven't hit opening day yet and only time will tell how successful this will be, but I want to give thanks to Jack Carney with public works, the city of Pawtucket Planning dept. and also the Pawtucket Foundation for helping us clean up the site. Also big thanks to our organizers Kate and Louella!!

Please come by on the 19th!

Oops, one last important thing.

Location is the corner of Broadway and Exchange St, right outside downtown Pawtucket.

Archived