• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarolinaDaydreamin

Virgin Megastore

Temeteron    55

If Salt Lake City, New Orleans, and Denver can have one, than why not Charlotte? But then again, alot of Sam Goody's and alll of the Media Plays closed due to Wal-mart and Best Buy taking over most of the customers......Time will tell

They're kind of outmoded. People don't buy CDs and DVDs as feverishly as they did in Virgin Megastore's heyday.

Part of Virgin's niche is the fact it has many more cool things than just. Many music themed things. Its kinda like a much bigger manifest'discs.

Neo    199

I really think it would be a stupid decision for a Virgin to open up in Charlotte or most cities for that matter. I lived near the one in downtown Chicago and would occasionally walk in but never bought anything because of the price. I can pay $10/month and get a-la-carte downloads of music, transfer it to my MP3 player and take it anywhere I go. Last time I was in Virgin they priced their CD's around $17 or $18 a piece. If I really wanted the CD I could go to Amazon.com or Half.com and get it new or slightly used for just a few bucks. No one wants to pay more than they have to for a CD or anything else just for the flattery of it being a Virgin store.

I agree with Neo. Even I think they charge too much for CDs. Me, the woman who won't hesitate to drop $500 on a pair of shoes. If Virgin is too expensive for me, then sane people have no reason to go there.

They are a big hit with tourists, but you never see anyone buying anything.

StevenRocks    0
They are a big hit with tourists, but you never see anyone buying anything.
Exactly. It's not a viable retail concept for a city the size of Charlotte.

Not too long ago I spoke with Virgin representatives via e-mail and they told me that they werent doing as well as they should be, and would not be opening any new stores for quite a while. It isnt that big of a deal, no one is missing much unless they like paying more for the same merchandise.

TravisNC    1

I don't think they would come to Charlotte either. They built one in Columbus, OH (which is very similar in size to the Charlotte metro), but it closed after about 5-7 years. It was replaced with a Crate & Barrel store.