Would Murals be a good idea in GR

Ok, so detroit has had its fair shair of murals on the sides of buildings, especially those of famous athletes like barry sanders, and grant hill (glad we traded him), and i think one of steve yzerman (the face of detroit hockey). They covered up alot of dirty looking buildings around town most recently for the superbowl...

So, would it be a good idea or not to have some murals on the sides of some of the downtown GR buildings, with famous GR people like... a mural of devos and van andel shaking hands or.... of our famous Griffin Jiri Hudler (long hair not mural ready), but maybe Nik Kronwell... or of a famous Rampage player .... or ....President Ford... or just some scenery...

but not necessarily advertisements...

Would this spice up GR

Here are some examples of buildings...

100_0561a.jpg

100_0537a.jpg

100_0510.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think murals would be cool if an endowment was set up to care for them.

As I have said before, I also think that some of the painted signs from years gone by should be preserved. I was really disappointed when they blasted the Berkey & Gay sign from the Boardwalk apartments. Embracing the past is cool, sandblasting it: not so much. ;)

Joe

It depends on the quality of them. If it was by a professional artist that had some talent, then yes. But, Im sorry to say, If it's by Mrs. Petersons 3rd grade class or by some underground artist, then no. The large mural above I96 and the new one in Heartside are great examples of good murals. The bad ones are obvious if you seen them.

Unless they are really well done and maintained, I think it is like putting lipstick on a pig....it is still a pig.

Yeah, but it does help attract frogs.

I dont think you will ever see a mural on a federal building, nor will you see one in the second building because its not as visible, most murals on buildings are placed on highly visible blank sites. as for the one attatched to Devos Place, well maybe. But the roof would obscure it from the highway. I think the best spot to put them is on city hall, infact cover thw whole vandenburg center in murals. Please. For the children.

I dont think you will ever see a mural on a federal building, nor will you see one in the second building because its not as visible, most murals on buildings are placed on highly visible blank sites. as for the one attatched to Devos Place, well maybe. But the roof would obscure it from the highway. I think the best spot to put them is on city hall, infact cover thw whole vandenburg center in murals. Please. For the children.

First pic is the state of Michigan. The green and white building to the right of it is the federal building. ;)

I dont think you will ever see a mural on a federal building, .

During the Depression-era, the Federal Govt Sponsored many murals for the Insides of govt. buildings. Many of which have been ruined by time, renovation, or bldg. demolition.

I can't recall seeing any for the outside of govt. buildings, though. Very hard to maintain.

Unless the Federal govt. decides to "lift our spirits" again I can't see it happening either.

There is a pretty darn cool mural on the south side of the Brassworks Building . . . . .

Yeah, and the developer had a heck of a time with the zoning board, after it was already painted. The zoning board interpreted it as a marketing tool, so it fell under the sign ordinance, for which it was too large. The developer had to prove that it was there for asthetics, not marketing, and finally won out.

Archived