Signature Food of Your City

jctim

There's some Sonoran stuff in Arizona that's hard to come by in other areas: menudo, mole, chorrizo, machaca, birria, jamoncillo, but there's little that could be considered uniquely Arizonan.

There is a smoothie place in Tucson (also has a location in Boulder) called Xoom Juice that makes one with the fruit from prickly pear cacti. That's good stuff.

You can also get the baked goods made from mesquite beans some places. It isn't really that good, but it is unique.

The O'Odhams also harvest the fruits from the saguaro cacti, although I've never had one and have no idea what they use them to make.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely love this thread.

My hometown Columbus, Ohio gets the famous candy buckeyes. My grandma makes a batch just about every holiday. Ohio's state crop is the tomato, though most think of corn when they think of Ohio.

As for where I live now; seems like the type of food most of the South would claim. Black eyed peas and collard greens (or some other combination of beans and greens), sweet potatoes, corn bread... There's the "barbecue sandwich", which took me awhile to figure out is indeed pulled pork and not some other meat, but everyone here just calls it a barbecue sandwich.

Since I live in a smaller city that doesn't have any major cultural influence, I'll go with some regional things:

Wild rice soup

Walleye

Paul Bunyan Burger (any variant of a giant cheeseburger with lots of meat/cheese.. and usually onion peels and BBQ sauce or something.. apparently what an 18 ft. tall lumberjack would eat.)

There's nothing in this world like a big bowl of crawfish etouffee, chicken and sausage gumbo, crawfish pie, corn macque choux, and shrimp bisque. Courtesy of any place south of I-10/I-12 between Lake Charles and New Orleans. Just nothin like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm food from Bristol :/

The surrounding countryside is most famous for i would think Cheddar Cheese, as the Village of Cheddar, yes the actual place it comes from, is about 20 miles to the south!

The other local speciality is cider (as in alcoholic), the worlds largest cider plant, Bulmers is located about 20 miles south east in a town called Shepton Mallet!

Bristol itself is quite famous for Bristol Creme as in the Sherry.

Cider and cheese! What else do you need?! Nothing!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived