Columbia's Job Growth

CorgiMatt

I have been reading South Carolina Workforce Trends every month for at least 15 years and have noticed something recently. Throughout 2005 Columbia held its own among all of the state's major metropolitan areas in nonfarm wage and salary employment growth. The January 2006 and February 2006 issues show respectively that from October 2005 to November 2005 and from November 2005 to December 2005, the Columbia metro area gained the most. From November to December Greenville's was completely flat and from October to November Charleston's actually lost 700 nonfarm jobs while Columbia's gained 1,300. I have been waiting on something I have known was going to happen - the capital city's awakening from the nap (breather) that the rest of the nation started to wake up from last year. With Innovista now starting construction of buildings 2 and 3 of the 7 they have said will be completed in 2007, with major money being pumped into new energy research nationwide with USC a major player in this endeavor, with new funding for biomedical research at USC in conjunction with the USC School of Medicine, and with heads turning toward Columbia as a major Silicon Valley venture capital company funds the high-tech start up covered by The State (See my post in Columbia developments.), I see a big explosion on the horizon.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived