Phenix City Projects and Developments

ATLman1

Locos Bar & Grill coming to Phenix City

Great news for Phenix City, Loco's Bar and Grill will be opening a new East Alabama location inside the old Char-broil grill steakhouse on US 280/431 next to Brusters Ice Cream

That is good news. Whenever I passed C-B Grill, they seemed full. Hard to compete against the steakhouse chains I guess.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blockbuster on US 280 in Phenix City closed about a month or so ago, but a brand new Verizon Wireless store will be opening at that location soon.

mitchella81 if you dont me asking what blockbuster are you talking about on 280 in phenix city are you talking about the blockbuster that sat right up on the hill next to taco bell or are you talking about the other blockbuster thats attached to a mcdonalds on 280 next to chick filet and near walmart.

mitchella81 if you dont me asking what blockbuster are you talking about on 280 in phenix city are you talking about the blockbuster that sat right up on the hill next to taco bell or are you talking about the other blockbuster thats attached to a mcdonalds on 280 next to chick filet and near walmart.

It was the one on North 280/431 between Mcdonalds and Chik Fila. I think the one on the hill near Taco Bell became a daycare center.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Last week Phenix City officials announced a new Courtyard Marriot hotel and Convention center will be built on the riverfront between 14th Street and 13th streets. This is the same parcel of land where the Phenix Rising highrise condos were suppose to be built a few years ago, but that project fell through. Phenix City officials and a private developer are developing the project. Although no design has yet been revealed for the project ground breaking is expected this coming spring. The design will be a compliment to the upcoming white water project which should start soon. From what I hear it is expected to a multi story structure. There will also be a parking garage built on the property.

Last week Phenix City officials announced a new Courtyard Marriot hotel and Convention center will be built on the riverfront between 14th Street and 13th streets. This is the same parcel of land where the Phenix Rising highrise condos were suppose to be built a few years ago, but that project fell through. Phenix City officials and a private developer are developing the project. Although no design has yet been revealed for the project ground breaking is expected this coming spring. The design will be a compliment to the upcoming white water project which should start soon. From what I hear it is expected to a multi story structure. There will also be a parking garage built on the property.

We can only hope it is over 5 stories.

Hopefully this will be a proper urban development and not a cookie-cutter suburban design shoe-horned into downtown. Maybe the parking will be in the interior of the block, wrapped by liner building(s), rather than hideous exposed concrete.

• 2 weeks later...

Phenix City coucil has agreed to purchase the South Phenix CIty Boys &Girls club property on South 5th Street and 8 surrounding parcels. They plan on making the area into a new recration facility which will include a new rec center, football fields, and soccer fields.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the design earlier this week for Phenix City's new Riverfront Courtyard Marriott and it is not impresive at all. It is only a four story brick building. No fancy design or nothing that will place it as unique to the skyline or even noticable in the skyline. It is just a basic looking hotel four floors made of red brick with a green canopy over the front.

I also saw the designs for Troy University-Phenix City's Riverfront building. It too is a four story brick building. Has more of a traditional college building look to it. I'll try to locate pictures of both buildings and upload them on here.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow - this hasn't been updated in a while.  Here are some new items:

1.  Cobb Hospital off 21st Avenue has been torn down.  Planned to replace it are a new municipal complex to replace the one on broad street and a new American Legion post with an homage park to the military services.  this will free up the current locations for several municipal buildings on broad street and the american legion location at broad and 13th for redevelopment under the auspices of the downtown redevelopment authority.

2.  The whitewater course on the river is now open and was much more successful than expected in its first season.

3.  Phenix Plaza shopping center between broad street and 3rd avenue, and 13th and 14th street was purchased by the WC Bradley company and will be redeveloped.  The northeast corner will be a new building for Whitewater Express, the sole outfitter for the whitewater course.

4.  The Courtyard by Marriott previously mentioned is well under construction and will open later this year.

5.  The first classroom and administration building for a new Troy University riverfront campus is under contract.

6.  The city will erect a parking garage on the NW corner of 3rd avenue and 14th Street to support all of this new riverfront development.

7.  Phase V of Rock Island Landing, a luxury home development, and portions of Steeplechase Luxury apartments are now open on Riverchase Drive.  The remainder of the Steeplechase complex and several other single family home and apartment developments are under construction in the same area.

8.  A new Epperley Tire and Auto Center will soon open on Riverchase Drive and more retail development will soon be announced nearby.

9.  The 5th Avenue South Sports complex is now open.

10.  New splash pads have been installed at several city parks.

11.  New additions to every elementary school in the city have been completed in the last 3 years.

12.  A new freshman academy at central high school is now open, built to help accommodate the major population growth in the city over the past few years.

13.  The Brickyard mixed use development was announced for Brickyard Road. (87 acres)

14.  The Riverchase mixed use development was announced for the NE corner of the North Bypass and Riverchase Drive. (204 acres)

15.  A new Hampton Inn opened off the Colin Powell Parkway.

This is just a sampling of new developments.  There are probably 150 more.  I will list some of the others later.

Archived