Virginia Beach sports

erdogs

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so confused. You get to Virginia Wesleyan through the Beach but its zip code is a Norfolk one. And to top it off, the city listed on their website is Norfolk/Virginia Beach. Prognasticators? Nah. But D-III Men's B-ball champs? Yes.

Virginia Wesleyan is good in a sport!

Weslyan is technically in Norfolk along with Norfolk Academy. Part of Wesleyan is in Vabeach and the main campus is in Norfolk

Weslyan is technically in Norfolk along with Norfolk Academy. Part of Wesleyan is in Vabeach and the main campus is in Norfolk

I agree that Norfolk Academy is in Norfolk, and it is actually accessed from the Norfolk portion of Wesleyan Drive. However, according to both Norfolk and VB city maps, Virginia Wesleyan is completely (all land and academic, residential, and athletic facilities) in Virginia Beach. It's like Little Creek Amphib Base. It's completely in VB but everyone seems to think it's in Norfolk. Visit the GIS/amps sections of the Norfolk and VB city sites and compare the boundaries with a sat image of Virginia Wesleyan on google maps.

I agree that Norfolk Academy is in Norfolk, and it is actually accessed from the Norfolk portion of Wesleyan Drive. However, according to both Norfolk and VB city maps, Virginia Wesleyan is completely (all land and academic, residential, and athletic facilities) in Virginia Beach. It's like Little Creek Amphib Base. It's completely in VB but everyone seems to think it's in Norfolk. Visit the GIS/amps sections of the Norfolk and VB city sites and compare the boundaries with a sat image of Virginia Wesleyan on google maps.

I grew up across the street from both Norfolk Academy and Va. Wesleyan and I always thought both were in Norfolk.

Jayson Stark article on Kellam's own Ryan Zimmerman

And what's especially tough for our hard drives to format is that Zimmerman wasn't drafted out of high school.

Matter of fact, not so long ago, this guy was one of the least-talked-about players on his own Virginia Beach youth travel team. Of course, the kids playing ahead of him on the left side of the infield on that team did turn out OK. They happened to be David Wright and B.J. Upton.

• 1 month later...

Mariners Soccer Player Turning Team Around in Front Office Role

Fan amenities, new players and stadium improvements have been added. The team drew more than 2,000 spectators - a large crowd by previous standards - for its rain-soaked home opener last month and boasts nearly 5,000 season tickets.

5,000 season tickets?! Is this a typo? The Sportsplex only has 6,000 seats. Is it possible that people find the $100 season tickets a bargain compared to $315-515 for the Admirals and $425 for the Tides (despite fewer games). Or is it the the Seagals (link). On second thought, it can't be the Seagals.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Sitting here, watching Boston play Cleveland... I yearn for my hometown to have an NBA team.

I've been reading the Pembroke Strategic Growth Area 4 Implementation Plan.. & as most of us know.. in the "Central Village District" neighborhood.. the city has mentioned an NBA-sized sports arena. I'd love for the city to begin discussion on this idea in the next couple of years & devise a plan to put aside money for the development and construction of such a facility. Amerigroup has just been announced as Virginia Beach's first Fortune 500 company & perhaps they could be a sponser? Amerigroup Arena? Previously, I thought that Norfolk should be the home of Virginia's first professional sports team.. but Virginia Beach has a much larger tax base, is more fiscally sound, is nearing half a million inhabitants, and arguably has more name recognition?

The Virginia Beach Neptunes playing at Amerigroup Arena in Virginia Beach, Va. Year 2020. One can dream.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/06/las-vegas-pro-sports-business-sports-0206_sports_cities.html

Other cities that could land a first major sports team include Virginia Beach, Va., expected to reach 1.9 million people by 2030

Sitting here, watching Boston play Cleveland... I yearn for my hometown to have an NBA team.

I've been reading the Pembroke Strategic Growth Area 4 Implementation Plan.. & as most of us know.. in the "Central Village District" neighborhood.. the city has mentioned an NBA-sized sports arena. I'd love for the city to begin discussion on this idea in the next couple of years & devise a plan to put aside money for the development and construction of such a facility. Amerigroup has just been announced as Virginia Beach's first Fortune 500 company & perhaps they could be a sponser? Amerigroup Arena? Previously, I thought that Norfolk should be the home of Virginia's first professional sports team.. but Virginia Beach has a much larger tax base, is more fiscally sound, is nearing half a million inhabitants, and arguably has more name recognition?

The Virginia Beach Neptunes playing at Amerigroup Arena in Virginia Beach, Va. Year 2020. One can dream.

http://www.forbes.co...rts_cities.html

Thats where I want it.. but Norfolk has too many civic projects on the budget & not as large a tax base as Virginia Beach. Also, VB is the only town that has plans for an arena. Downtown 2020 has no mention of sports.. the Pembroke plan does.

Archived