Bojangles at Third and Independence

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I have never patronized this fine fried fast food establishment. I just think its a shame that such a prominent location could not have been occupied by something more worthwhile: a postage stamp park, art sculpture, or why not a community garden affiliated with CPCC to help feed the homeless? There are enough fast food restaurants in the area making the students unhealthy. Glad BK is on the way out.

I admit I have never patronized this fine fried fast food establishment. I just think its a shame that such a prominent location could not have been occupied by something more worthwhile: a postage stamp park, art sculpture, or why not a community garden affiliated with CPCC to help feed the homeless? There are enough fast food restaurants in the area making the students unhealthy. Glad BK is on the way out.

its called money. whomever owned the plot of land wasnt going to give it away. buuuut i hate seeing drive thrus on corner lots on prime real estate

The Bo's at the corner of S. Tryon and West Blvd is soon to become prime realestate if it isn't already. I wonder if they would ever sell, although, did I hear correctly that this was the first BoJangles ever?

That is where the first Bojangles was built, but that is not the first Bojangles. They tore down the original building from the late 70's some time ago and then built the building you see today.

Hey now! I have a very small car, I will have you know :) No big SUV for me. I would take up very little space. I still don't get the setup though. Maybe they anticipate massive lunch rushes and want to avoid congestion. This does happen around certain fast food joints I have observed. A case in point being Chick Fil A. The two I have passed on Woodlawn and Randolph during weekday lunchhour routinely have lines snaking all the way onto the street and blocking traffic! Its crazy. I don't get it I don't see the same traffic mess at other fast food outles. :blink: Chick Fil A is not that good and its overpriced. Is it a Southern thing?

To answer your question, though, is that somehow the planning department failed to rectify zoning in this area to reflect the fact that it sits between two major projects that are creating an urban environment. In fact, the city actually subsidized those other projects in order to create density and urbanization. Meanwhile, Bojangles was willing to create a new urban flagship store, but the zoning required them to put in the most suburban of stores.

I guess having parking in the back, rather than the front, is a major problem for suburbia, because it leads to the use of imagination. ("What? There is parking? But I don't SEE parking. I'll keep driving."). It is a such a serious problem, that the city has enacted these standards for the entire city, even if it is downtown, and contrary to the exact development pattern that the city is spending millions to promote.

Chick-fil-a is consistent and high quality. I love Bo's (I don't go that much, though), but consistent they are not. I got a chicken one time, that had a thick layer of dark gritty mud-looking substance. I took it back, and the lady practically reprimanded me as though I was some stuck-up picky rich kid. I said "I nearly vomited after seeing it, can I please just have a different piece?". She muttered the whole time, but she still gave me one. I'm gagging just remembering it.

OK now, no picking on the Chik-fil-ah. The difference for me is that they treat their employees well, give everyone a guaranteed day off, and serve a quality product. Not to mention that a regular Chik fil A sammy only has 9 grams of fat.

Yea, I used to work at good ol Chik-fil-a and I used to love getting Sundays off, but now that I don't work there I wish that they were opened on Sundays. I must say though that it is a toss up for me between Bo's and Chick-fil-a. IMO, Bo's has better breakfast and it is served all day, while CFA has a better lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

How about if us UP peeps write a letter to Bo's HQ's and beotch about their development style in Midtown. Who wants to volunteer to write the letter? I want to find out what their official response is going to be. That Midtown Bo's looks F**king terrible!!!!!

What is interesting, is that it was reported here as being the words of a Bo's person in charge. That would mean they lied.

Honestly, though, I feel better about a greasy chicken joint being cheap and doing the minimum quality legally allowed. I hated the notion that Bo's was trying to do the right thing, only to be stopped by the city planners who have being working so hard on opposite goals.

Yep, the link was provided and then she went on to say that in fact it wasn't city staff, as was reported incorrectly on here, that told Bojangles to push the store back to the corner, rather it was Bojangles themselves that decided that and were able to do it within the existing zoning.
Well just for the record, I'm the one who spoke with the Bo rep at their Pinebrook Business Park HQ (I-77 and Arrowood Rd in the event anyone wants to go and complain in person) if they or the city decided to do this store as suburban crap. His words were that Bo sent three different proposals to (city) staff and this is what they approved. He was even the one who told me about the Highland Creek store being urban! I feel so used.

Yeah there was no rezoning on this site where the Bo's went so they would not have been required to submit different plans to the Charlotte Planning department.

Miesian, it would be interesting to hear what Bo's response is to Mary Newsome's blog.

It just doesn't make sense to me the Charlotte Planning would go against everything they have done in the past few years just for this Bojangles location.

Archived