New HBO Show About Atlanta

charlotte_bon_vivant

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'd love to see a show that portrayed Atlanta as more sophisticated [than it is oft perceived], I'm not so sure this concept would have people saying, "hey, that's a great city. I want to move/visit there!" Maybe because the setting and characters don't seem like the type your average person could identify with? I guess every little bit of boost could help, though, if the show turns out to be a success.

Maybe because the setting and characters don't seem like the type your average person could identify with?

Beth Henley usually does very character driven writing. Most of her work has an everywoman feel to it. As long as she stays on the project, I think people will be able to relate to the characters. I'm sure specifics of the project will change when the final series is done since HBO tends to do that. I do like the idea of highligting the glamorous side of Atlanta life. It isn't realistic for most people, but neither was SATC.

While I'd love to see a show that portrayed Atlanta as more sophisticated [than it is oft perceived], I'm not so sure this concept would have people saying, "hey, that's a great city. I want to move/visit there!"

Are you saying you don't want Atlanta women to be portrayed as strong, dominant types with perfect manners, dress and etiquette, who don't have to work and live in a social world of charity events? Heavens, aren't we all like that?

I know I'm always bouncing from one charity ball to the next.

:lol:

And I was just complaining that TV didn't have any SE cities represented. We are the most populated region of the US. So why is it taking so long??? I know that we have Invasion (FL) and Surface (NC). It's time that GA has some spot light even if it's designing women again.

will it be filmed in Atlanta

It depends.

If it is done on set, then chances are it will stay mostly in LA with perhaps an occaisonal short scene here (by occasional, I mean a couple of times each season).

If it is done on location, then chances are it will be filmed mostly here.

I've done a lot of research into TV (it's somthing I'd like to become involved in). However, I don't have much experience with the Paid channels like HBO, so I'm not sure. It would be nice is this was on network TV, but, judging from the setting, characters, and what appears to be it's style, it may be just a bit to "classy" or "highbrow" for channels like NBC. HBO, in the mean time, can give shows that have comedy (or drama) written higher than the usual fare (i.e. network TV, "Frasier" excluded)) a better market (hey, you're paying for it, you might as well watch it) to succeed in.

But I don't know if I like the entire idea from the way it sounds, but some things just don't sound good on paper but are huge hits when the can be seen ("Okay guys, it's a show about nothing"...catch my drift?). I might as well just enjoy Designing Women. It's still great to hear when there's going to be a TV show set in your town.

• 2 months later...

I saw previews for another new show coming this fall that is based (and looks like filmed) in Atlanta. I cannot remember the name for the life of me but it is a one worder and is not on HBO...maybe Fox? They show scenes of Atlantas skyline, and a Georgia liscence plate in the preview and looks like it will be a court related program...but portraying Atlanta in a positive way...not rednecky like Matlock.

It's called Vanished and it's about a prominent Ga senator's wife being kidnapped. If the HBO show moves forward then there will be 2 shows on the fall TV season that take place in Atlanta

It's called Vanished and it's about a prominent Ga senator's wife being kidnapped. If the HBO show moves forward then there will be 2 shows on the fall TV season that take place in Atlanta

I just hope I don't see a trailer that says, "Coming this fall -- an exciting new mystery set in Atlanta, Georgia."

mad.gif

Because Atlanta should be well alone to stand without Georgia being attached to it. If it was San Francisco I would bet BIG money that California would not follow.

Exactly. People don't put the state after Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, etc. Why should Atlanta be treated like Podunk by the mainstream media?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...topic=18947&hl=

have you ever noticed that they mention Hartsfield airport all the time on The Simpsons?

Yes. I think Futurama did a better job of spoffing the city. There was an ep. where Atlanta sunk to the bottom of the ocean (like Atlantis) from overdeveloping, after proud citizens made it an island to boost tourism.

pic00415.jpgpic00417.jpg

pic00420.jpgpic00434.jpg

pic00440.jpgpic00442.jpg

Exactly. People don't put the state after Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, etc. Why should Atlanta be treated like Podunk by the mainstream media?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...topic=18947&hl=

Read an article in the New York Times last Friday that mentioned Philadelphia and Atlanta without mentioning PA or GA, but then they got to "Charlotte, N.C."

Read an article in the New York Times last Friday that mentioned Philadelphia and Atlanta without mentioning PA or GA, but then they got to "Charlotte, N.C."

All right, maybe we are slowly coming out of the backwoods! :yahoo:

The other day I heard some food critic discussing his travels around the country to sample various fast food restaurants; he mentioned several cities without saying the state, and then he got to "... the Varsity, in Atlanta, Georgia."

Was that really necessary???

mad.gif

Archived