New HBO Show About Atlanta

charlotte_bon_vivant

Because Atlanta should be well alone to stand without Georgia being attached to it. If it was San Francisco I would bet BIG money that California would not follow.

Ok, I think I get the point. However, I was thinking it was because one was proud to be an Atlantan but ashamed of being a Georgian. :shok: That would be weird and kind of confusing.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Atlanta on TV, Rachael Ray's "Tasty Travels" focused on Atlanta this week. Among the restaurants she profiled were MidCity Cuisine, the Vortex, Two Urban Licks, the Varsity, Joel, Atlanta Fish Market, Cafe Intermezzo, the Colonnade, Inman Park Patio, the Flying Biscuit and Watershed.

It was a very positive take on the city.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ry/ep...6_39724,00.html

Hmmm, let's see:

MidCity Cuisine - Always get it mixed up with MidCity Cafe (which is an excellent place to meet friends for a couple of drinks)

Vortex - Even better now that they don't let kiddies in

Two Urban Licks - Haven't tried it yet

Varsity - I stop by for a paid of slaw dogs every couple of months

Joel - Sounds over priced to me.

Atlanta Fish Market - I wonder if they've sold enough fish yet to outweigh the gaint fish outside

Cafe Intermezzo - Great place for a first date. I've read novels shorter than the drink menu.

the Colonnade - I've heard it's over rated and everything is over cooked. Try Mary Mac's instead.

Inman Park Patio - Closed. $@#^#$^! Now there is no place in Inman Park for MARTA pub crawls and dinners.

Flying Biscuit - It's great but if they really think turning it into a francise is going to allow them to stay true to their roots, they're smoking crack.

Watershed - Actually never heard of it.

I would have pointed them toward Agave. The swordfish I had there about six months ago may have been the best food I've ever tasted in my life. Tragically, it isn't a regular item on the menu.

LOL, Aubie! :lol:

Here's my take:

MidCity Cuisine - Haven't been there -- for some reason I mix it up with South City Kitchen, which I like but is a little noisy.

Vortex - Love it. Remember when it was a hole in the wall up on W. Peachtree?

Two Urban Licks - *Very* cool looking, but I was disappointed by the food. Same with Piebar. I should give both of them another try.

Varsity - Cannot imagine life without the V. I went to UGA and often the downtown Varsity was our only source of sustenance.

Joel - It's actually pretty reasonable for fine dining, and the show pointed out that their Chef's Special is one of the better deals in town. Joel is really gifted.

Atlanta Fish Market - Oh yeah, they probably sell enough fish every night to outweigh the giant fish. However, every time I pass by I think of the Rio Vista, the king of Atlanta seafood restaurants, which had a similar logo. All the catfish and hushpuppies you could eat for $1.65.

Cafe Intermezzo - Heh! I like it for late night desserts. That little stretch of South Buckhead has always been been fun.

the Colonnade - No, Aubie! The Colonnade is not only an institution, the food is great. They'd been serving up fried okra for decades when Mary Mac's was just getting started.

Inman Park Patio - Did not realize it had closed! :(

Flying Biscuit - I agree. How can its uniqueness possibly survive chain-ism?

Watershed - It was really critical in Decatur's resurgence. Founded by Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls, who used to work there frequently.

Agave - I'm a big fan, too.

Joel - Sounds over priced to me.
:lol:

Rachel Ray also did her $40/day show from here a while back and The Flying Buscuit was where she had Breakfast.

Also, I just read in the AJC that a movie called "We Are Marshall" is currently filming locally, starring Matthew McConaughey and the star of the TV show "Lost" (never seen it) . Its about the Marshall football team that was killed in a plane crash in 1970.

Oh boy it's list time!

Your Dekalb Farmer's Market - Shop there sometimes, it can be a madhouse

Joel - Never been & if it's in Buckhead it's not likely I will

Two Urban Licks - Probably the only 'hip/trendy/new' place that I can agree with, I like it

The Varsity - Yawn, a bit over rated - now the Beacon in Spartanburg, SC is the real thing!

Wish - No idea...

Atlanta Fish Market - Never been...

Cafe Intermezzo - Don't know the big deal, been once or twice

The Colonnade Restaurant - I will have to force myself to go here within the next month! Who's up for a farewell party? ;)

Inman Park Patio - Oh no! Can't say I love the place, but out of convinience we've been there countless times.

MidCity Cuisine - Pretentious Midtown snobbery at it's best & the food is good too.

The Vortex Bar & Grill - L5P is the location to go to, I miss the original Midtown location b/c the newer one just doesn't seem as good as the L5P location.

Watershed - I've heard of the chicken, just can't get out there on Tuesday nights.

World of Coca-Cola - ? But no, never been.

The Flying Biscuit - Yep, my wife loves the place, I honestly don't think their biscuits are that good.

The Flying Biscuit (second location) - What about the 10th or 40th location?

The Majestic Diner - fudgein' A.

Shout - YES I WENT THERE FOR LUNCH! IT WAS OK!

Regarding 'We Are Marshall', my wife & I have been keeping an eye out for 'The Mac', as he's one of our favorite actors. I've seen filming in downtown & at Oakland already - I have a picture of a building that they made it look like a 50's diner in downtown.

Is Wish a restaurant? The only Wish I know of in Atlanta is the clothing store in L5P....still there?

I cannot make any comments on the restaurants because Ive never eaten at any of them except the old Vortex on W. Peachtree.

I found 6 types of Taro...plus the very unusual Durian fruit at the Your Dekalb Farmers market one time....that place is unreal!

I'll keep mine short by only listing the ones I've been to:

Your Dekalb Farmer's Market - Fantastico! The drive to Decatur is worth the money you save, and the selection can't be beat. Mmmmm...pastry bar.

The Varsity - Thought the regular food was blah, but the fried pies and frozen oranges were tasty.

Cafe Intermezzo - Good desserts, but, hey, can I get some @#$% service over here?

The Colonnade Restaurant - The Silver Skillet wins my heart for gravy-covered goodness, but this was good, too.

The Vortex Bar & Grill - The Midtown location is within stumbling distance, and Artie is my favorite surly bartender.

The Majestic Diner - Went on a Saturday afteroon. Good, but I guess you have to experience it at 4am for it to really count.

Shout - Went when it first opened and got kicked out of our happy hour cabana at 7pm so the beautiful people could perch. I find it ironic that they're near empty on a Saturday night now.

Of course - I chat on the SC forum from time to time (I lived there for 19 years) & of course I'll still post here. Hard to shake off 16 years of your life just like that - so I'll always be interested in what is going on in Atlanta.

Check my signature ;)

Dang. At first I thought your farewell to the Colonnade might be because *they* were going away.

Maybe a farewell party is in order, then. You're one of the posters that I looked forward to meeting some day.

Good luck with your move!

My wife got a job in Boulder, CO. We've always wanted to move to Colorado & in general we've just wanted 'something different'. Meaning, since Atlanta (as well as possibly Richmond) have been the only realistic locations in the south that we would choose to live - we've looked into moving out of the south. Nothing personal of course - just want to try something else :)

And of course I love Boulder.

My wife got a job in Boulder, CO. We've always wanted to move to Colorado & in general we've just wanted 'something different'. Meaning, since Atlanta (as well as possibly Richmond) have been the only realistic locations in the south that we would choose to live - we've looked into moving out of the south. Nothing personal of course - just want to try something else :)

I love the west and Colorado in particular. Great choice and happy moving. :thumbsup:

Dang. At first I thought your farewell to the Colonnade might be because *they* were going away.

Maybe a farewell party is in order, then. You're one of the posters that I looked forward to meeting some day.

Good luck with your move!

Nice of you to say that! & Thanks too martinman & everyone else - I still expect to be here through July though...

We'll miss you, teshadoh! Post back once and awhile if you can :)

Archived