"Evening Rose"

P_McLane

• 1 month later...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K2 was honored (more likely thanked) for being the first developer to not fight the inclusionary housing ordinance on new neighborhoods of >50 houses.

City says thanks.

I'll watch this with interest. I don't doubt that K2 will make money, but will it be enough? Are the non workforce houses going to sell at the normal K2 premium? I think the consensus is against forced inclusionary housing - now we will have a case study.

In an effort to not drag up 3 K@ threads (and to hide the bad news here), 407 Park Ave and west-side Atkinson projects are kaput. Big loss on 407 Park. The pre-buyers were mostly speculators and either K2 or the bank were not comfortable with that. It will likely get new life as some sort of office complex. The Atkinson thing never got off the ground - K2 could not come to terms with the land owners. Loand owners did not want to wait for K2 to get permits (1-2 years) before closing on the sale of the land. K2 wanted to wait so they would not have to pay financing. Too bad.

Thanks for the news JBarber. The news about 417 park was sad, but its not the end of the world. Frankly, the units were priced far outside our market's reach right now. And this is probably a blessing seeing as how this could free up a chance for another mixed use downtown project, more affordable than 417 Park, to be explored on a more visable plot of land. I always had the feeling that the announcement of this project had or was having an affect on the Diamond at Monroe LLC.

K2 was honored (more likely thanked) for being the first developer to not fight the inclusionary housing ordinance on new neighborhoods of >50 houses.

City says thanks.

Kind of easy to not fight something that won't ever affect you. K2 has no development of >50 houses. So what do they care?

Truthfully, there are only 3-4 new developments in the area that could be affected by this.

This policy will fail. The govt should not be this involved in the lives of it's citizens.

Kind of easy to not fight something that won't ever affect you. K2 has no development of >50 houses. So what do they care?

Truthfully, there are only 3-4 new developments in the area that could be affected by this.

This policy will fail. The govt should not be this involved in the lives of it's citizens.

Evening Rose won't be 50+ houses?

I don't think you mean that last statement exactly as you wrote it or else that would include: fire/police protection, public schools etc....or do you?

Evening Rose won't be 50+ houses?

I don't think you mean that last statement exactly as you wrote it or else that would include: fire/police protection, public schools etc....or do you?

You equate fire and police with the govt basically trying to set the cost of goods and services?

That is basically communism. When the govt sets the price of goods and services, usually, it works out in a negative fashion.

Bad idea. It will fail.

You equate fire and police with the govt basically trying to set the cost of goods and services?

That is basically communism. When the govt sets the price of goods and services, usually, it works out in a negative fashion.

Bad idea. It will fail.

Did I say that??? NO, but I do equate them w/ getting involved in citizen's lives which is exactly what you said above and why I was asking for clarification of what you were saying and now you have defined it a tad more beyond your sound bite.

However, I really don't think that's as drastic a measure as communism b/c it's not setting the prices for all the good and services. How do you propose we get affordable new housing in Leon if this isn't the answer? Saying that the market will take care of this issue is not the answer since that seems to definitely not be happening.

Now the question still unanswered is will Evening Rose have more than 50 units?

insituphoto I could not agree w/you more about teachers, fire/police getting paid more. It's a real shame what some of the salaries they are paid.

Now the question still unanswered is will Evening Rose have more than 50 units?

Evening Rose will have 99 units, 10 of which will be built for inclusionary housing (<$160k)

stjoe - K2 is not being forced to implement this. It is not communism. The city/county is offering permitting incentives that will mitigate some of the lost reward for building these 10 lower cost houses.

insituphoto I could not agree w/you more about teachers, fire/police getting paid more. It's a real shame what some of the salaries they are paid.

This is an issue I get aggrivated with, so this will be my only .02$ dropped on it.

Each of the mentioned occupations get paid more then what I got paid when I was in the Army and have to deal with a lot less (ie 14 months in Fallujah/Baghdad). That being said, they accept this pay when they apply for the job.

If the standards are raised in each of these professions then I am all for it but until then I think it is a load of crap.

TPD starts out at 37g's and doesn't even require a 4-year degree. 19 year-old kids interpreting laws?

Teachers only work 9 months a year and get holidays off. This would not be so bad if the teachers in this town where worth their weight in salt, but they aren't. I attended 4-different schools here (granted this was in the 90s) and I feel it is a miracle that I am successful in college now. One of my children attend a school north of I10 and I literally cringe on orientation days.

Bottom line: These people accept the terms of pay when they apply for the job, therefore if they are concerned with pay they should find another line of work. As a tax payer, I feel there is a better use of funds unless pre-employment qualifications and performance standards are raised.

Sorry for the rant and deviation from the topic.

• 3 months later...

They have begun presales for evening rose. Here is some info my realtor sent me.

"Beginning October 25th, a small selection of homes and custom retail lots go on sale in this exciting new 36 acre community. Evening Rose will feature 99 home sites as well as a walk able, pedestrian friendly mixed use village center adjacent to a variety of office, restaurant and retail establishments. Evening Rose is located in one of Tallahassee’s award winning school districts including Leon High, Cobb Middle and Kate Sullivan Elementary Schools.

The Pattern Book for Evening Rose will feature a multitude of styles, built with exquisite care and detail. Styles include Craftsman (Bungalow and Arts and Crafts), Neotraditional Revival (Jeffersonian, Greek revival, Georgian, Colonial), Cottage (Low-Country and English Cottage), Vernacular and Victorian (North Florida Vernacular, Coastal Victorian and Charlestonian) and an Eclectic Series (Tudor, Mediterranean Revival, Modern “Dwell” and other inspirational styles).

We are proud to announce that Aspirant Homes and Homes buy Jana have joined K2 Homebuilding in the Evening Rose Project. "

• 11 months later...

TALLAHASSEE

Evening Rose

NewPicture1.jpg

Besides the 22 acre traditional neighborhood being built inside historic Evening Rose, the additional 13.6 acre Town Center will feature a quaint, yet diverse village of shops and merchants. The entire development is being designed to create a safe and inviting walkable neighborhood, with pedestrian trails, sidewalks and compact/dense building design.

With an emphasis on Smart Growth, the entrance to the village center plaza will cascade gracefully amongst beautiful existing majestic oak trees, creating both a quiet refuge and hub of activity. Town home and live/work units complete the bookend to the west for a seamless transition to the Evening Rose residential community.

The finished project will look like a revitalized retail village including a mix of fine and casual dining, coffee and breakfast establishments, financial institutions, boutique shops, a day spa, salon, and fitness center combined with a mix of additional small and medium office and retail amenities.

Source: K2 Urban Corp.

TALLAHASSEE

Evening Rose {sodEmoji.|} Site Plan

NewPicture4.jpg

Project Overview:

K2 Urbancorp is pleased to present Evening Rose, Tallahassee's first Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND). Evening Rose will feature 99 homes sites as well as a walkable, pedestrian friendly mixed use village center adjacent to a variety of office, restaurant and retail establishments. This development spans 36 acres of majestic landscape located inside Capital Circle, just moments from the heart of downtown Tallahassee.

A true TND represents the towns and villages built prior to World War II. Evening Rose will combine a traditional mix of single and multi-family homes, live/work units and residential condominiums and will all be built within walking distance of a town center. "Imagine being able to walk to the community center, library, corner pub or grocer after a long day at work." says CEO David Wamsley.

Source: K2 Urban Corp.

EVENING ROSE

What to Expect

NewPicture2.jpg

NewPicture3.jpg

The residential neighborhood, now under construction, will have an eclectic mix of single family attached and detached homes in diverse architectural styles. The mix of unique styles and character is a true nod to the greatest neighborhoods of the past. The styles and the price ranges will vary greatly, replacing the cookie cutter streets that are hallmarks of current suburbia. "The idea is to revive key ingredients of old towns and create a friendlier neighborhood setting that fosters the bonds of community," says CEO David Wamsley.

From narrower streets with parks and public spaces woven into the community, to a true Main Street of useful shops and amenities, Evening Rose promises to break the mold. So far, we have sold 90% of the lots we offered in our first release. Tallahassee is excited about returning to the nostalgia of our grandparents neighborhoods and Evening Rose will be a quintessential example of a return to that look and feel.

K2 Urban corp is my Favorite Architect in the Area or for the State of Florida for that fact. There homes feel just that, like a Home! Cozy, warm, inviting, but Urban at the same time. Each house they build has allot of detail that demands you to stop and take notice, from the rest of the homes. They have there own design, big or small, the buyer can be proud of there house. I encourage anyone to go to Even Rose and see the houses there. I was hoping that they have develop a lot of homes in Falls Chase and that Falls Chase has the same feel that Evening Rose has. Exp since they will be neighbors practically.

WOW after re-reading that, I almost sound like an advertisement!! But its the truth. Maybe K2 will read this and give me a house!!!!

Speaking of Evening Rose, this is coming in for review at COT on 10.22. I've also noticed they've done a lot of clearing and grading in this area next to CCNE.

Evening Rose Phase 2 Town Center (TSP070070) located on 13.51 acres on the west side of Capital Circle Northeast, approximately 1,000 feet north of Mahan Drive. The proposed project is for the development of 33 multi-family residential units and for the construction of 83,500 square feet of commercial/office space. The site is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development).

K2 Urban corp is my Favorite Architect in the Area or for the State of Florida for that fact. There homes feel just that, like a Home! Cozy, warm, inviting, but Urban at the same time. Each house they build has allot of detail that demands you to stop and take notice, from the rest of the homes. They have there own design, big or small, the buyer can be proud of there house. I encourage anyone to go to Even Rose and see the houses there. I was hoping that they have develop a lot of homes in Falls Chase and that Falls Chase has the same feel that Evening Rose has. Exp since they will be neighbors practically.

WOW after re-reading that, I almost sound like an advertisement!! But its the truth. Maybe K2 will read this and give me a house!!!!

mracca- First of all, I'm a true believer in different strokes for different folks. I have to ask though- which k2 homes have you been in? Unfortunately (and I know that it is probably not representative of all their work), I toured the red/rose-colored house in Evening Rose during the POH, was NOT impressed to say the least, and found very little attention to detail :dontknow: I also went through the large home at the corner of Old Town right off of Mahan about 2 years ago before it was sold and had a very similar reaction.

Although I love the idea of a walkable community like Evening Rose, and think that it's nice that K2 is sticking to a particular genre of homes, I don't see anything spectacular about either (contrary to the beliefs of the developers/builders who like to make it sound like they invented the less-than-revolutionary ideas of TND's and craftsman-inspired houses :wacko: ).

In any event (even though I'm not a huge fan) I wish you the best on getting that free new home :yahoo:

I'm not trying to hop on the bandwagon here, but I find myself thinking along the same lines with regard to K2 Urban's design. This year's parade of homes I toured the red home you speak of, and while it was very nice and cozy to me, it was overpriced for the square footage and lot size.

Here's a look at the images of that home and my review.

As far as their main design is concerned, I truly believe there is a nitche for it in this market. There is a simple elegance about it that seems to draw in those in Tallahassee wealthy enough to afford it. I also toured another home in Southwood that was built by them and I remember, it being one of the largest homes in terms of sq. footage with what felt like very little livable/usable space.

Pictures and review of that home found here.

I'm not saying I don't like their style. I'm just not certain why its drawing so much hype.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be pointed out that K2 is not the only builder who will be building in Evening Rose. They are the developer but you can buy a lot in there and use just about any builder you want. Aspirant Homes already has one in progress there and I think a few more planned. Recently it looks like maybe another builder has started out there.

It should be pointed out that K2 is not the only builder who will be building in Evening Rose. They are the developer but you can buy a lot in there and use just about any builder you want. Aspirant Homes already has one in progress there and I think a few more planned. Recently it looks like maybe another builder has started out there.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee tcs! :yahoo:

Thanks for pointing that out!

Archived