"Evening Rose"

P_McLane

Not a knock on Evening Rose at all, but I'm not sure this is the best location for Another Broken Egg, seeing as how they've already got the East Side location on N. Thomasville Road. What ever happened to their plans to be downtown? I can think of several places along the main streets of downtown that would do well with this restaurant. I believe their fear was parking scarcity, but that could be overcome for some good breakfast.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a knock on Evening Rose at all, but I'm not sure this is the best location for Another Broken Egg, seeing as how they've already got the East Side location on N. Thomasville Road. What ever happened to their plans to be downtown? I can think of several places along the main streets of downtown that would do well with this restaurant. I believe their fear was parking scarcity, but that could be overcome for some good breakfast.

Florida I think it will do well. The restaurant is so well received, that people will travel to go to it...

Also, this location is far closer than the bradfordville location which has to be atleast 10-15 miles away

I can think of several places along the main streets of downtown that would do well with this restaurant. I believe their fear was parking scarcity, but that could be overcome for some good breakfast.

It has been my personal observations that the average Tallahassean has trouble w/parking in urban situations.

When big downtown events such as the Winter Festival and Springtime Tally occur, folks from all over try to park along the streets in my 'hood. Here's what I always see:

-It's a hoot trying to watch them parallel park. It works much better if you back in folks.

-After you've parallel parked and half of your car's butt is in the street making it a one-way does not mean you've done a successful job.

-That yellow curb means you can't park there.

-No you can't completely block my driveway and expect me not to call TPD.

-No you can't park IN my driveway.

-Ah you think you were so lucky to find that side of the street vacant making it easy for you to find a place to park. Well guess what, there's a reason it's vacant Sherlock, there's no parking allowed on that side. That's exactly what those 3 or 4 signs in front of you say.

• 4 weeks later...

OK... so $160,000 for this house that's probably 800 sq. ft. sounds fair?

I was just wondering....Now that you know the home is 1,100 sq ft and has a solid build to it with all the "bells and whistles" what do you think about the homes worth now? Or what do you think it should be worth? I am only curious... not trying to start a debate about the "little house that could". :-)

I was just wondering....Now that you know the home is 1,100 sq ft and has a solid build to it with all the "bells and whistles" what do you think about the homes worth now? Or what do you think it should be worth? I am only curious... not trying to start a debate about the "little house that could". :-)

Good question. Knowing that the house is bigger is definitely a plus, although I'm still skeptical about a few things. First... because of the way the home is situated on the lot, I'm wondering where the parking will be, on the street?? Will this home appreciate in value?? We know the land will, but the actual structure itself is an uncertainty given the nature of manufactured homes.

Last night I did take a second look at the house and I do think it will make a fair home.

At $157,000 or whatever the affordable housing mark to Tallahassee???? No. But coming in at a $115,000 - $135,000 house, maybe. I still can't get past the idea that it is in fact a Katrina Cottage and that it was manufactured off-site at a cost far less than your conventional building methods. Therefore I feel the savings should be passed on to the buyer. They did do a good job making the home look like a traditional home.

Isn't this the same company that is suppose to start manufacturing these homes in Carrabelle?

The home definitely looks like an updated FL Cracker house which is a good thing IMHO. However I'm not so sure I'd be bragging to all my friends that I live in a home named after such a destructive natural disaster.

I would doubt the $160k price and there is no way it will be $115-135k. The lots, even the small ones, are priced around $100k by themselves in Evening Rose. I'm guessing the $100 per square foot refers to build cost only and excludes land cost. That puts the total price around $200k unless K2 discounts the land cost substantially (which seems unlikely).

They have started clearing land out there for at least one set of townhomes which is what I now think will be their attempt at affordable housing.

I would doubt the $160k price and there is no way it will be $115-135k. The lots, even the small ones, are priced around $100k by themselves in Evening Rose. I'm guessing the $100 per square foot refers to build cost only and excludes land cost. That puts the total price around $200k unless K2 discounts the land cost substantially (which seems unlikely).

They have started clearing land out there for at least one set of townhomes which is what I now think will be their attempt at affordable housing.

I think your estimates are probably right on tcs, and it was always my understanding that the affordable housing 'set-aside' component would be effectuated in the form of townhouses, not detached single-family (for all of the aforementioned reasons).

IMHO, $100k in Evening Rose is a lot of money to plop down on a piece of dirt for a Katrina Cottage- not that they aren't nice homes, but I think the return on investment for such a product in the long run might be a little better if you could get a somewhat larger parcel in perhaps a not-as-desirable but still nice location that was in need of a face-lift for less $$ and pack several of them in with smaller set-backs and a little more density (maybe the manufacturer would give a bulk discount ;) ) so as to market the overall concept a little better, while at the same time providing some nice, new, affordable, infill housing. Once again, just thinking out loud.......

No way I'd pay anything NEAR $200,000 for something like this:

gallery_3748_8_186718.jpg

when I could pay $150,000 and have more yard with something like this:

floridaretailfederationkt8.jpg

I think it would be a big mistake for K2 to market this type of product in that price range. You talk about St. Joe killing their once decent image, I think K2 would become a laughing stock over night. Just my opinion.

I don't know where the other house is, but there is something to paying for location. I'm not really arguing K2's case, but if the neighborhood and especially the commercial district work out as planned, it is going to be one of the nicest areas in the city to live, at least in my opinion. That may or may not be enough to justify the price premium. Myself, I would pay $50k NOT to live in Southwood or Golden Eagle or other developments well outside of town. Of course, some people would pay a $50k premium TO live in those places. Nothing wrong with that.

My view on the biggest problem K2 and others are going to have with ER properties is that this house and another small one I saw going up recently by another builder don't have garages. K2 always builds them separate as an add-on. Who pays $2-300k for a house and doesn't want a garage?

If they were on similar sized lots and going for a similar amount, I would much rather buy the Cottage than that 2nd one you posted, Florida, garage or no. The Cottage is simply a steel-frame cracker shack, which I really like and which I find appropriate for the area. The other just doesn't have any style, to my way of thinking. But that's entirely a matter of dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

Does anyone know how much the company (Green Steel?) would charge to place one of these on an already purchased lot?

Good question. Knowing that the house is bigger is definitely a plus, although I'm still skeptical about a few things. First... because of the way the home is situated on the lot, I'm wondering where the parking will be, on the street?? Will this home appreciate in value?? We know the land will, but the actual structure itself is an uncertainty given the nature of manufactured homes.

Last night I did take a second look at the house and I do think it will make a fair home.

At $157,000 or whatever the affordable housing mark to Tallahassee???? No. But coming in at a $115,000 - $135,000 house, maybe. I still can't get past the idea that it is in fact a Katrina Cottage and that it was manufactured off-site at a cost far less than your conventional building methods. Therefore I feel the savings should be passed on to the buyer. They did do a good job making the home look like a traditional home.

Good answer. I believe that the saving should be passed down to the buyer, but right now these type of homes are a "new" concept so there may be a high mark up value until we start to see more of these in new developments making them more common.

I agree with poonther in that the name could be changed to something more appealing.

• 4 weeks later...

Good News, k2 Started building the commercial for Evening rose.

"Evening Rose includes more than 120,000 square feet of commercial space mixing retail shops (including a grocery store), restaurants and offices.

Already set are a day-care center, Another Broken Egg restaurant, a financial institution, a K2-created grocery/produce/ready-to-eat Town Market and, of course, K2's new corporate office complex. All are set to open in August."

Source - Tallahassee.com

That's all good news to hear. I'll be very interested to see what type of products the Town Market will provide. I'm hoping it will be a little like Fresh Market, a neighborhood gourmet type of market. Good to hear they landed Another Broken Egg, but that is bad news for downtown b/c at one time I believe they were interested in going into one of the new condo's retail spaces.

That's all good news to hear. I'll be very interested to see what type of products the Town Market will provide. I'm hoping it will be a little like Fresh Market, a neighborhood gourmet type of market. Good to hear they landed Another Broken Egg, but that is bad news for downtown b/c at one time I believe they were interested in going into one of the new condo's retail spaces.

I spoke with the owner of Another Broken Egg and he told me the deal breaker for downtown was the parking.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived