"Evening Rose"

P_McLane

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Infact I am willing to pay the premium for their product and it seems quite a few people are.

Like I said before, different strokes ;) . I'm glad that you find their product so desirable humzai, and hopefully others will as well b/c I really would like to see Evening Rose be a success notwithstanding my cautious pessimism about the project (which is primarily the result of market conditions and what I see as a very, very ambitious site plan given the amount of dirt they have to work with).

As I recall their proposal was for the "Affordable" homes to be $260k homes but with the subsidy from the city/state it would allow them to knock them down to $160k (a perhaps incorrect recollection from reading about it a while ago). Plus, these were not likely to have all of the features in the $180 per sq foot houses anyway. Last I heard, the grant to do the affordable housing had fallen through so it isn't clear what they will be doing about it now.

As I recall their proposal was for the "Affordable" homes to be $260k homes but with the subsidy from the city/state it would allow them to knock them down to $160k (a perhaps incorrect recollection from reading about it a while ago). Plus, these were not likely to have all of the features in the $180 per sq foot houses anyway. Last I heard, the grant to do the affordable housing had fallen through so it isn't clear what they will be doing about it now.

chances are, tcs, they won't be building any affordable housing.

I'm not trying to hop on the bandwagon here, but I find myself thinking along the same lines with regard to K2 Urban's design. This year's parade of homes I toured the red home you speak of, and while it was very nice and cozy to me, it was overpriced for the square footage and lot size.

Here's a look at the images of that home and my review.

As far as their main design is concerned, I truly believe there is a nitche for it in this market. There is a simple elegance about it that seems to draw in those in Tallahassee wealthy enough to afford it. I also toured another home in Southwood that was built by them and I remember, it being one of the largest homes in terms of sq. footage with what felt like very little livable/usable space.

Pictures and review of that home found here.

I'm not saying I don't like their style. I'm just not certain why its drawing so much hype.

It should also be pointed out that the home in the Parade was a CUSTOM BUILT HOME where K2 UC was given very specific instructions on what the family wanted. That was not in the least bit a representation of their typical portfolio. I spoke to the K2 Rep when I was at that house and asked if this was a new style for them and thats when he explained to me that it was a custom built home.

Just thought I should share that!

GG, when you say custom are you talking about the interior finish or the entire home? Because the other homes going in at that time, seemed to look the same way.

He told me that the entire home was custom built, from the floor plan design, to the colors.

I should add that Im not sticking up for K2. Ive seen a few of their homes, and the one at SW was completely different from any of the others Ive seen. Thats why I asked him!

Besides, you all know Im an Arthur Rutenburg fan!

This I simply don't understand. The "Red House" looked very similar to the house that was next door to it, only a different color. They didn't treat me with a look at the inside of the other house, or the one that was coming up down the road, but they all looked very similar on the outside. But I'd probably taken his word too... although I would have been slightly skeptical.

You guys are talking about different houses. The Red House in Evening Rose is a spec model K2 built. The custom house is the 3 floor monstrousity K2 built out in Southwood right across from the lake. This is the one Go Gators was pointing out was custom, not the Evening Rose House. I went through the custom one too and agree that it was built to pretty odd specs. If that is what the owner wanted for their million or so $, well they have different preferences than me.

The Evening Rose house I thought was much better. One thing you should keep in mind about K2's build price is that they carry the construction financing during the construction period so the owner doesn't pay anything until move-in (at least they are in Evening Rose). This adds a fair amount to the sale price. I don't like the idea much because it means you are paying interest on interest once you assume the loan but that is convenient for some.

Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up tcs. With our web-filters I'm not able to see any of the pictures that may have been attached to this conversation, I was simply speaking from memory. And I remember the home in Southwood being very impressive from the outside and as you stated, having strangely configured living areas. I did feel the house in Evening Rose was very warm, and would probably have chosen it over the other, not simply because of the price, but because it gave the feeling of a home vs. simply a "house".

Am I the only one who doesn't really think $160,000 should count as "affordable housing"?

The median home price in Tallahassee is somewhere around $150,000-155,000. I'm just estimating here but on $160,000, plus insurance and taxes, you're still looking at a mortgage payment over $1,000/month, unless you've got a sizeable down payment. Most people who would qualify for this don't have that kind of cash on hand, I know we didn't when we purchased our home. I couldn't have afforded that when I was working in Tallahassee.

Yeah that custom built home in SW by K2 was crazzzy! I do like K2's building design, but then again I'm partial to the 20's bungalow style. K2 does get a lot the deals right. It's interesting to walk into a new home w/modern amenities that looks a lot like my 80 year old home.

Rachiroo I agree that in this city, $160k is a lot money for "affordable" housing. I am so thankful we bought before prices went CRAZY or I would not be living where I do now.

• 5 weeks later...

K2 unveils Florida's First home with 'LEED' environmental certification

residential.jpg

The two-story home in the development Evening Rose is the first new house in Florida to receive a silver "LEED for Homes" certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. "No home has scored higher in the state to date," Wamsley said.

LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a council initiative to set nationwide critieria for construction that reduces energy consumption and impacts on the environment.

K2 unveils Florida's First home with 'LEED' environmental certification

residential.jpg

The two-story home in the development Evening Rose is the first new house in Florida to receive a silver "LEED for Homes" certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. "No home has scored higher in the state to date," Wamsley said.

LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a council initiative to set nationwide critieria for construction that reduces energy consumption and impacts on the environment.

I was going to post about this earlier i read this article in the democrap.

• 2 weeks later...

UPdate {sodEmoji.|} Evening Rose

New Streets being Developed

gallery_3748_8_137162.jpg

Katrina Cottage? or Workforce Housing?

gallery_3748_8_186718.jpg

LEED Certified Home

gallery_3748_8_113098.jpg

Wow, that pic does look like a squatter shack on a Louisiana Swamp.,... a very nice one though :)

Archived