"Evening Rose"

P_McLane

If i could live anywhere in Tally it would be Evening Rose. I can't wait till this is done.

Speaking of which- does anyone have any idea why this project seems to be progressing so slowly. Obviously some of the single-family residences have been constructed, but I haven't seen anything of the "affordable" multi-family units and the same dirt with pipes protruding out of the top seems to have been sitting idle on the commercial component (which is supposed to be LEED certified) for several months now.......I've heard enough about the proposed town center concept to get excited, but I'm still (anxiously) waiting to see it come to fruition. I've seen several residential developments (the units on High) and commercial developments (Koger on Apalachee; Fallschase) move pretty quickly lately, but can't understand why there isn't more movement on this highly-anticipated project. Anyone know what gives?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which- does anyone have any idea why this project seems to be progressing so slowly. Obviously some of the single-family residences have been constructed, but I haven't seen anything of the "affordable" multi-family units and the same dirt with pipes protruding out of the top seems to have been sitting idle on the commercial component (which is supposed to be LEED certified) for several months now.......I've heard enough about the proposed town center concept to get excited, but I'm still (anxiously) waiting to see it come to fruition. I've seen several residential developments (the units on High) and commercial developments (Koger on Apalachee; Fallschase) move pretty quickly lately, but can't understand why there isn't more movement on this highly-anticipated project. Anyone know what gives?

josefk (I still want to call you that when I see you -- its just so hard to say), I've been told the $9 Million Charter School will be built and complete in time for school to start in the fall. I've heard they've got a bank, and "Another Broken Egg" on the way also. I've not been over there in quite some time to check the progress on the project. From a personal opinion standpoint, the homes are a tad pricey - especially given the amount of land they sit on. I am, however, excited about the "Katrina Cottages" because they make use of a regional company's innovation.

I suspect they were waiting for a few more contracts to start the actual building. They have changed the plat for it a few times as they bring specific things in so I would suspect that they would want a certain % fixed so that it can be planned appropriately. With the school coming in though I would suspect that it will get things going. They will at least have to have the other parking facilities and some of the infrastructure in place for the other buildings by the time the school starts I would guess. So they probably can't do much in the way of major changes anymore since it fills up so much of the space.

I suspect they were waiting for a few more contracts to start the actual building. They have changed the plat for it a few times as they bring specific things in so I would suspect that they would want a certain % fixed so that it can be planned appropriately. With the school coming in though I would suspect that it will get things going. They will at least have to have the other parking facilities and some of the infrastructure in place for the other buildings by the time the school starts I would guess. So they probably can't do much in the way of major changes anymore since it fills up so much of the space.

I MUST have missed something in the posts further back than December b/c I don't have a clue what "charter school" you and Florida are talking about tcs :dontknow: I know there is going to be a day-care center, but can you please provide some more details about this proposed school or just direct me to the prior posts/forums where it was discussed. Thanks for the help.......

I don't know if it made it to the forums, it was just announced earlier in the week:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=2008802280317

They don't have their new site plan posted, but if you look on the old one:

http://www.k2urbancorp.com/eveningrose/_doc/siteplan.pdf

The Charter school will go where those live/work units are currently planned that form an L at the bottom left of the commercial section.

I don't know if it made it to the forums, it was just announced earlier in the week:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=2008802280317

They don't have their new site plan posted, but if you look on the old one:

http://www.k2urbancorp.com/eveningrose/_doc/siteplan.pdf

The Charter school will go where those live/work units are currently planned that form an L at the bottom left of the commercial section.

Thanks tcs, I don't know how I missed that announcement. So have you seen the new proposed site plan? what about the live/work units, etc.? Is there enough room here for a school this size (i.e., it must be going up at least a couple of stories b/c there doesn't seem to be a very big footprint available)?

I have seen the site plan, though I don't have it with me now. I don't know how many stories the two school buildings will be, but I suppose at least 2. I don't think they can be more given the general design that the area is supposed to have. There doesn't seem to be any room planned for a playground or anything like that which seems odd for a school focusing on k-8. From what I gather, they will be building one building initially to be open on a limited basis for August and then the other later. The article said up to 728 students and I just don't see how the school will be able to support that many. The space just isn't that big. It will be interesting to see how it goes and if they can really build a fully functional school in 90 days!

As to the status of the live-work units, there will still be a few, but not as many. In their current site plan they have a community fitness center but that has been replaced by live-work units in the new one. I think that is all of the major changes. At least I can't recall any others.

I have seen the site plan, though I don't have it with me now. I don't know how many stories the two school buildings will be, but I suppose at least 2. I don't think they can be more given the general design that the area is supposed to have. There doesn't seem to be any room planned for a playground or anything like that which seems odd for a school focusing on k-8. From what I gather, they will be building one building initially to be open on a limited basis for August and then the other later. The article said up to 728 students and I just don't see how the school will be able to support that many. The space just isn't that big. It will be interesting to see how it goes and if they can really build a fully functional school in 90 days!

As to the status of the live-work units, there will still be a few, but not as many. In their current site plan they have a community fitness center but that has been replaced by live-work units in the new one. I think that is all of the major changes. At least I can't recall any others.

90 days? There seem to be more days between now and August than that... :unsure: Sad thing that they would miss out on an opportunity to combine a community park with the school's recreation area. Where will the students have PE?

Those look to me like the Live/Work units that were supposed to be there before. The two buildings of the school make an L shape that runs along that street at the left border of the picture. So I don't think these are them. This looks like the site plan before the change.

BTW, the "90 day" comment was what they claimed in the article from the Democrat:

"We're going to build the school in about 90 days," said Jennings Knox, president of Culpepper Construction Co. "And we just love a challenge."

Seems like quite a challenge!

NATIONALLY ACCLAIMED IMAGINE SCHOOLS SELECTS EVENING ROSE FOR K-8 LEARNING CAMPUS

012.jpg

Innovative "Project CHILD" charter school program enhances K-8 choices for residents, merchants, and the surrounding area of Evening Rose, Tallahassee's greenest and most exciting new mixed-use community

As seen at earthtimes.org, prnewswire.com, denverpost.com, digital50.com, biz.yahoo.com and biospace.com

TALLAHASSEE - Imagine Schools, one of the nation's most accomplished charter school companies, announced today that it plans to open a public K-8 charter school this August at Tallahassee's innovative new community Evening Rose.

"We can think of no better place to locate one of our learning communities of achievement and hope, " said Fred Damianos, regional vice president for Imagine Schools.

"This school will provide an exciting alternative to the private-pay school system, as well as give greater choice to students and their parents in the public school system." Enrollment in the charter school is free to Leon County residents.

The school is scheduled to open August 20, 2008 in the upscale Evening Rose Town Center, located just north of Mahan Drive on Capital Circle Northeast on the city's east side.

First year enrollment for the high-tech school is to be capped at 350 students in grades K-6. In year two, grade 7 will be added and grade 8 in year three, with enrollment increasing to 726 students at the Evening Rose campus.

More: K2 UrbanCorp

• 4 weeks later...

I drove by Evening Rose today to check out some of the Commercial buildings. Looks like they are finally starting to erect some I-Beams for a few of the buildings. I think the reason for this project to start off so slowly was because they had to do a tremendous amount of land work before they could start to erect any thing. I suspect this project to start moving ahead a little quicker now.

I drove by Evening Rose today to check out some of the Commercial buildings. Looks like they are finally starting to erect some I-Beams for a few of the buildings. I think the reason for this project to start off so slowly was because they had to do a tremendous amount of land work before they could start to erect any thing. I suspect this project to start moving ahead a little quicker now.

thanks for the update mracca, grab your camera and get some piX!

thanks for the update mracca, grab your camera and get some piX!

MRACCA may post pictures also, but I was out riding my bicycle yesterday as well and took 3 pictures with my camera phone.

This picture is of the commercial portion facing directly out toward Capital Circle. The building in the distance is across Capital Circle. I was standing in the residential area behind this.

0406081348.jpg

This picture is in the same spot but facing to the left.

0406081347a.jpg

This picture is in the same spot facing Capital Circle but to the right.

0406081347.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite little development seems to be chugging along at a snails pace..

all i see is orange clay and little markers

I think I want to research the average project time after permits and approvals... just build time for cities in the state and compare them to tallahassee.

I think we have the slowest builders around.

My favorite little development seems to be chugging along at a snails pace..

all i see is orange clay and little markers

I think I want to research the average project time after permits and approvals... just build time for cities in the state and compare them to tallahassee.

I think we have the slowest builders around.

I'm with you on the generally slow-moving pace of many of the developments in the pipeline right now (Plaza, Evening Rose, Adams Street, etc.). But I think that the delays on most of these projects has more to do with less-than-anticipated pre-construction sales and currently lower interest rates than the actual capabilities of the builders ;) If it was 2004/2005 and they had sold out pre-construction and the carrying costs were much higher, I feel fairly certain that these things would have been up and completed much quicker.

I'm with you on the generally slow-moving pace of many of the developments in the pipeline right now (Plaza, Evening Rose, Adams Street, etc.). But I think that the delays on most of these projects has more to do with less-than-anticipated pre-construction sales and currently lower interest rates than the actual capabilities of the builders ;) If it was 2004/2005 and they had sold out pre-construction and the carrying costs were much higher, I feel fairly certain that these things would have been up and completed much quicker.

regardless.. 2 slow.

Archived