Forest Ridge Park

avery

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather something like this go in so everyone can enjoy the area versus a few Muliti Million dollar homes that take away access to the lake

I think that is one of reasons for contention. Many people fear the traffic load cutting through thier development to gain access to the park.

I think that is one of reasons for contention. Many people fear the traffic load cutting through thier development to gain access to the park.

I fear the traffic coming from Wakefield going down Falls of Neuse Road and Capital Blvd on a daily basis.

JB

I think it's great. Raleigh really does have a very nice Parks system. Hopefully one day all the little pieces of the greenway will finally connect.

I was part of the design team that designed the Lake Johnson Park facility and it sounds like this Falls Lake project is somewhat similar. This project seems to have more cultural components associated with it. I am a little surprised the Wakefielders are opposed to this. Do they want it to go away all together or do they just want it to be "private" trails for the neighborhood and without all the buildings and lakeside center? My guess is they want the trails but not the buildings/centers and the people/traffic that they would attract.

I think it's great. Raleigh really does have a very nice Parks system. Hopefully one day all the little pieces of the greenway will finally connect.

I helped design the Lake Johnson Park facility and it sounds like this Falls Lake project is somewhat similar. This project seems to have more cultural components associated with it. I am a little surprised the Wakefielders are opposed to this. Do they want it to go away all together or do they just want it to be "private" trails for the neighborhood and without all the buildings and lakeside center? My guess is they want the trails but not the buildings/centers and the people/traffic that they would attract.

Well, according to the news, they want something on a smaller scale. Open areas, trails, etc. "Private" trails would be a ridiculous notion. We would all be footing the bill, so for it to be exclusive to Wakefield is silly. If they do think that, they need to deflate their egos.

Well, according to the news, they want something on a smaller scale. Open areas, trails, etc. "Private" trails would be a ridiculous notion. We would all be footing the bill, so for it to be exclusive to Wakefield is silly. If they do think that, they need to deflate their egos.

What I mean by "private" is essentially a public trail system but with no amenities to encourage public use other than the surrounding neighborhood (ie multiple parking areas and access points, park structures, learning center, etc). Without those types of amenities, the park would attract a lot less people. Take Lake Johnson for example. It was essentially a lake with trails around it for years. It got a lot of use, mainly from the surrounding houses/apartments and NCSU students, but it was never really that crowded. After they Water Activities facility and parking area was built, it became one of the most used parks in the city.

What I mean by "private" is essentially a public trail system but with no amenities to encourage public use other than the surrounding neighborhood (ie multiple parking areas and access points, park structures, learning center, etc). Without those types of amenities, the park would attract a lot less people. Take Lake Johnson for example. It was essentially a lake with trails around it for years. It got a lot of use, mainly from the surrounding houses/apartments and NCSU students, but it was never really that crowded. After they Water Activities facility and parking area was built, it became one of the most used parks in the city.

Your assessment seems correct based on what I have heard.

Archived