Google in Michigan

Yankee Fan

Even if Google agrees, the City of Grand Rapids has been so slow to move on the wireless initiative, it's unbelievable. They had an RFP for wireless companies last year at about this time. Remember the Wireless Celebration downtown last May? Right, no one does. But they had it. And then proceeded to pick no company from the 7 that actually had networks set up during testing last summer.

Basically they've spent a year working on this, with no results except wasting time and money on consultant fees. I'd be very surprised if the city gets anything set up. If there will be wireless networks in the city, look for a private company to make it happen.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Google agrees, the City of Grand Rapids has been so slow to move on the wireless initiative, it's unbelievable. They had an RFP for wireless companies last year at about this time. Remember the Wireless Celebration downtown last May? Right, no one does. But they had it. And then proceeded to pick no company from the 7 that actually had networks set up during testing last summer.

Basically they've spent a year working on this, with no results except wasting time and money on consultant fees. I'd be very surprised if the city gets anything set up. If there will be wireless networks in the city, look for a private company to make it happen.

Thanks for some insight on the history.. I didn't know about it last year. Is there any difference between what they're looking for this year vs. last? As far as I can tell, the city, at least this year, is basically asking a private company to build and manage the wireless network. So I'm not sure how this is much different than what your last sentence is saying.

According to my sources the new project is not google...

It's bigger than that.

I think there should be a rule that no one can quote "sources" unless they're willing to come forward. There are so many "wannabe" sources out there it's unbelievable. :rofl:

Let me guess, they said "Well I shouldn't be telling you anything, but I'll tell you this.........." or "I'm sworn to secrecy, but I can tell you it's 200 stories tall and can transport people like Star Trek, but don't tell anyone :ph34r: " :rolleyes:

I think there should be a rule that no one can quote "sources" unless they're willing to come forward. There are so many "wannabe" sources out there it's unbelievable. :rofl:

Let me guess, they said "Well I shouldn't be telling you anything, but I'll tell you this.........." or "I'm sworn to secrecy, but I can tell you it's 200 stories tall and can transport people like Star Trek, but don't tell anyone :ph34r: " :rolleyes:

Be nice to the new guys..

That was meant for everyone :P

You know earlier I was going to quote my sources.. and some new alien landing pad, but I thought it was a little harsh, so I aborted that reply.. carry on :P

Josh, I remember the Wireless Celebration, but I'm a complete dork so thats probably the only reason :rolleyes:

Quick question Chris. Did you happen to ask your co-worker WHY he was under a confidentiality agreement? I mean, the number of people under these contracts is probably pretty small. Is he a land owner? Work for Heartwell? Work at G&E?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there are a lot of "posers" out there passing around false information and claiming to be "in the know". Just wondered if you asked a follow up question or two. :thumbsup:

I can honestly and without hesitation say that I have absolutely no idea what the project is. I haven't a clue. No hunches. Nary a gut feeling. Nada.

We don't care about you really.. we're more interested in your SOURCES.... :P

You know earlier I was going to quote my sources.. and some new alien landing pad, but I thought it was a little harsh, so I aborted that reply.. carry on :P

Josh, I remember the Wireless Celebration, but I'm a complete dork so thats probably the only reason :rolleyes:

You're probably one of the few :P

Archived