Changing Demographics

Andrea

I could see a scenario where the U.S. breaks apart into ethnic enclaves. I've asked this before, but if anyone can name one country that has survived while being multi-cultural, I'd like to hear it. There are just too many different cultures trying to have influence and we all want different things. Add to the fact that our government is as inept as the University of Georgia's offense, and well things are going to go wrong. Unless, we can get people in the legislative branch that care about whats happening, its not going to change. I think the South had it right(not Slavery mind you) to believe that states should have the power and not the central government. Ok I am off my political rant.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning they had a guy on the History Channel who is the CEO of Toll Brothers, which they said is the largest builder of luxury homes in America. He said that in recent years they'd found there was significant demand from people in their 30's with kids who did not want to move to the suburbs, but who preferred to live intown. So they've been building more upscale homes inside cities rather then limiting them to the burbs.

He also said that there was significant demand for intown luxury living by empty nesters, who were no longer automatically moving to Florida.

Florida attracted lots of retirees because of the low cost but that is no longer the case. Because Florida doesn't have an income tax, the property taxes have been continually on the rise to support the spending of the state government. In addition to that, insurance costs have skyrocketed. The state run insurance programs for people who can't find coverage from traditional insurance companies has started charging a 25% premium on top of their already high rates for non-primary homes (which is pretty much all homes owned by snowbirds).

• 1 month later...
Having several customers in the Gwinnett county area and frequenting there often, I can say that it appears to be slipping into "slumness" if not already there. I have seen nice areas, but relatively new neighborhoods are trashy and the homes are falling into disrepair. Major retailers have vacated relatively new shopping centers leaving empty boxes behind for independant retailers who can't maintain the properties decently. This area does show how changing demographics can negatively impact an area...

Archived