Forum Meeting | Wed. March 22nd 5:30pm

Cotuit

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Brussat made a surprise appearance.

It occurs to me (too late, as usual) that I should've bought the man a drink. After all, I doubt I would have found this site if it weren't for him. David, if you're reading this, you've got one coming to you free of charge.

Or maybe I should've just ordered him one of the free drinks Emily was trying to give me. :rofl:

Wowww I missed a good one! Brussat was there? Did he say anything about our overwhelming love for his columns??

You have to give him a lot of credit for coming. Many of us (myself included) have blasted some of his columns here on the forum. In my (extremely brief, as I had to go) conversation with him, he makes points that none of us disagree with: That old buildings here are gorgeous and should be conserved, and there shouldn't be a stigma within the architecture world looking down on those who create older-style contextual buildings in our urban environment (Garris ed: in fact, most of the classical architecture of that period were essentially rip offs, adaptations, or transformations of older ancient civilization architecture, whose details were being discovered and widely circulated by archeologists in the 18th-19th centuries).

How much to focus on that in columns at the possible expense of other issues is a different story :whistling: .

I know I've posted this here before, but I'm really loving the editorials and blog of the Philadelphia Enquirer's (I think) architecture critic Inga Saffron. Her writing is clear and delicious, and her views on urbanism, architecture (old and new), and Vancouver worship would fit in perfectly here at UP Providence. I believe she's won a Pulitzer for her writing.

Her blog on Philly's issues (which nearly perfectly parallel Providence's challenges) should be must reading for everyone here:

http://changingskyline.blogspot.com/

- Garris

PS: Since I was only able to be there for the 40 minutes or so (Trinity seemed like a great space for this, BTW, and we should go back there in the future) did Thom or anyone else there disseminate any other non-classified information I may have missed?

Towards the end of the evening some super secret wheeling and dealing was discussed, it should be hitting the forum later next month, too bad if you weren't there.

C'mon get the hell outta here!!! We need to know NOW!!! :yahoo: Nobody's gonna find out... I mean it isn't like anyone in the world can read what we're talking about on here. :shades: I wish my schedule had been different this week!

I'd like to organize a Saturday afternoon in Pawtucket when the weather gets warmer.

PawSox game anyone? The Madhouse has outdoor seating on the river. More people should be able to make it over the weekend.

How many people did make it?

Can we rate this super secret news?

1-20

20 being THE BEST POSSIBLE NEWS.

I wasn't there, but if it is what i think it is then it could be any where from a "6 - 16" just based on whom is involved, with a plus or minus of a few point based on design, and what is to become of naiborhood, as is always the case, dominoes fall in every development. I just wonder witch direction they will fall. And who else would be involved with the buying of a used car if you will.... :wacko:

PS: Since I was only able to be there for the 40 minutes or so (Trinity seemed like a great space for this, BTW, and we should go back there in the future) did Thom or anyone else there disseminate any other non-classified information I may have missed?

Well, the Westin is 30% done as measured by construction expenditures. They are obliged to be occupied by the end of the year, and are on course to meet that obligation. Amazing isn't it?

There is a lot going on with RIPTA, smart card fare systems, proposals for fixed transit... The state's insistence that transit pay for itself at the farebox is holding things back at RIPTA. Time to contact your Assembly members, and I wouldn't tell anyone how to vote (at least not on the forum) but it's an election year. Ask the candidates what their stands are on transit, and if you don't like their stance, tell them to change it or lose your vote.

OneTen Westminster has no street level retail on the Westminster side. Something the city is not happy about. There's a false wall along Westminster, but behind it is the valet area for the parking garage. I'm not really sure that that will be able to change.

Sierra Suites has hit a bit of a bump, I don't think it's derailed, but it's butting up against the Downcity Design Review Committee. Good news on Sierra Suites, they appear committed to restoring the historic facade of the neighbouring Cogens Building and the city is holding thier feet to the fire on relocating New Japan, Cuban Revolution, and Talk of The Town to new locations on Washington Street.

Planning is trying to get apartment's on top of the North Main Walgreens. They really have no real power to make them comply, they're basically saying 'pretty please.' However, Walgreens is slated to occupy the retail portion of 333 Atwells on Federal Hill which will be an extremely urban friendly design, so the city is saying, if you can do it on Federal Hill, then do it on North Main.

There's more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

One more thing, the infamous 'street' on the MetroLofts site... the propsal is to move the one that currently parallels Joseph Merrits parking lot west, so that it sits against the remaining buildings and allows MetroLofts to sit on it's own block. Without moving this street, there is little room between it and the Service Road to ever develop a building.

Can we rate this super secret news?

1-20

20 being THE BEST POSSIBLE NEWS.

Well, it certainly depends on what your definition of best is, but I believe it's all around pretty damn good, I'd put it at around 14 going higher if design proves to be impressive.

OneTen Westminster has no street level retail on the Westminster side. Something the city is not happy about. There's a false wall along Westminster, but behind it is the valet area for the parking garage. I'm not really sure that that will be able to change.

this might be better in the oneten section... but couldn't they put the garage underground, including the valet area? or would that be too inconvenient for people who can afford to buy there?

Thom also said he's heading to Portland to check out TriMet.

...more

Another fun idea that came out of Thom's head. To solve the mall to Federal Hill transit connection issues, build an aerial tramway. Now I wasn't counting Thom's drinks, so I'm not really sure where this idea comes from (he was the first one there, so maybe he was pounding them down before the rest of us arrived), but I think it's super cool, if not something that Providence wouldn't be tragically afraid of.

...more

Another fun idea that came out of Thom's head. To solve the mall to Federal Hill transit connection issues, build an aerial tramway. Now I wasn't counting Thom's drinks, so I'm not really sure where this idea comes from (he was the first one there, so maybe he was pounding them down before the rest of us arrived), but I think it's super cool, if not something that Providence wouldn't be tragically afraid of.

like the thing at 6 flags that takes you from one part of the park to another in a hanging basket?

doesn't new york have one from manhattan to queens?

like the thing at 6 flags that takes you from one part of the park to another in a hanging basket?

Yes, and kind of. The one in New York runs from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island, which is technically part of Manhattan Borough.

I am so mad I didn't go. I wouldn't have gotten there til after 7 but it sounds like it went on for a while... We've come a long way since the first meeting when it was me, Cotuit and Garris (oh and the mystery girl) sitting outside of Joe's!

I am so mad I didn't go. I wouldn't have gotten there til after 7 but it sounds like it went on for a while... We've come a long way since the first meeting when it was me, Cotuit and Garris (oh and the mystery girl) sitting outside of Joe's!

I was there too, but I think I arrived just after you left ... bummer.

We were at trinity until about 9:30. So, next time, no excuses (especially if theres drinks involved).

Well, the Westin is 30% done as measured by construction expenditures. They are obliged to be occupied by the end of the year, and are on course to meet that obligation. Amazing isn't it?

Yes, that is amazing. Imagine that by the end of the year, we'll likely have the Westin 2 done and the Providence River Bridge open to traffic. Wow!

Regarding RIPTA, I'm drafting my letter now...

OneTen Westminster has no street level retail on the Westminster side. Something the city is not happy about.

Ouch, I'm not happy about that either... Westminster really needs that retail continuity from the Turks Head to Empire to really develop a reputation as a shopping "destination." Too bad... Without retail, that becomes one dead pedestrian area :( .

I have to say I'm kind of surprised. The 110 folks in everything they've publically done thus far really seem to "get it," so I'm miffed that they made this decision.

Sierra Suites has hit a bit of a bump, I don't think it's derailed

I hope they hang in there. The last design I saw was soooo close to be appropriate. Was it mentioned what the "bump" is?

All in all, mixed news... Lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Was it mentioned what the "bump" is?

The conversation kept drifting away from Sierra Suites before we could really suss what was up. They had a Downcity Design Review meeting, the afternoon of our meeting (David Brussat came from that to our meeting). Sierra Suites was on the agenda, but they didn't have a quorum, so nothing happened.

Thom has a pdf he's supposed to email me showing the latest design, but he hasn't yet. It's like he has two full time jobs or something. :rolleyes::lol:

As far as I remember 6 Flags uses what are basically modified ski chair lifts. Trams have been used in Europe for years and they are bigger, usually only have one /two car(s) and can be used in almost all weather (high winds are about all that stop them).

Yes, and kind of. The one in New York runs from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island, which is technically part of Manhattan Borough.

Here is the [url=http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.rioc.com/transportation.html#tramway&frame=/frame/travel.html] NYC tram

To solve the mall to Federal Hill transit connection issues, build an aerial tramway. Now I wasn't counting Thom's drinks, so I'm not really sure where this idea comes from...

Interesting idea... Where would this run? I'm having trouble picturing what course this would take... It would be a really unique element among Northeast cities and would be quite an attraction I'm sure.

Neighborhood groups would find a way to fight it I'm sure... Let's see... Safety issues, it would block light, will need electricity generated by coal powered plants to run it... What else?

- Garris

Interesting idea... Where would this run? I'm having trouble picturing what course this would take... It would be a really unique element among Northeast cities and would be quite an attraction I'm sure.

Neighborhood groups would find a way to fight it I'm sure... Let's see... Safety issues, it would block light, will need electricity generated by coal powered plants to run it... What else?

- Garris

Its gimmicky, inefficient, and exhorbitantly expensive...

hmmm...

reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Springfield bought the monorail from the snakecharmer...

Archived