Forum Meeting | Wed. March 22nd 5:30pm

Cotuit

Its gimmicky, inefficient, and exhorbitantly expensive...

hmmm...

reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Springfield bought the monorail from the snakecharmer...

Don't they have one in North Haverbrook? ;)

Anyway, it also kills birds and disrupts ley lines...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does sound gimmicky and inefficient but it may actually move people effectively as desired.

How many people really need to get from the mall to Federal Hill, though?

It would be kind of cool to have around, for sure, but for the price, I'm guessing RIPTA could run a free 10 person shuttle with 15 minute headways for 20 years before exceeding the cost.

It does sound interesting but there are no geographic concerns (e.g. water or steep sloping walls) which typically make the cost/value equation work out and I don't know that there are enough tourists (trams seem to be major tourist traps a lot of the time) to support one either.

There is no room for it anymore, but back when there was almost a straight shot of run down houses going up college hill I thought it might be a cool place for a Funiculaire. But there isn't enough tourist-y stuff to support one.

It would be kind of cool to have around, for sure, but for the price, I'm guessing RIPTA could run a free 10 person shuttle with 15 minute headways for 20 years before exceeding the cost.

Probably true... I still argue that RIPTA needs two things:

1) Some kind of low fare, frequently running "neighborhood connectors" to downtown. There can be West/South and East Side neighborhood connectors that just loop from central points in those neighborhoods to downtown. Right now, for residents of the city, it's just too inconvenient to use existing lines that span all of RI just to get to downtown...

2) A downtown shuttle, that just loops around downtown's major sites (the "W" streets, train station, mall, capitol, etc)...

You're probably right that a tram would probably cost more than both of those combined...

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering, are there any plans for another one of these? They sound pretty fun.

cotuit, you should just change the name of this thread to "forum meetings" and make the announcements here and discuss the meetings here. make it easy.

and when is the next one planned for? if you're doing a once a month thing.. a month is coming up... :D

Just wondering, are there any plans for another one of these? They sound pretty fun.

None is planned yet, but yes, there will be another one. Later this summer I want to do a Pawtucket meeting too.

is it this?

MAJOR WATERFRONT PARK ANNOUNCEMENT

Mayor David N. Cicilline cordially invites you to a news conference

announcing plans for a major new city park on

Providence's waterfront.

The news conference is scheduled for Monday,

April 24 at 10:00 a.m. near the

intersections of Eddy and Ship Streets.

Mayor Cicilline considers Providence's waterfront

the next frontier for economic development

in our city and creating beautiful park space is a

key part of his vision.

is it this?

The secret? No. But it's nice to see an official announcement coming on this. It's close enough to my office that I may make my way down there.

Although they can't really do much here until 195 is gone.

Another fun idea that came out of Thom's head. To solve the mall to Federal Hill transit connection issues, build an aerial tramway. ...I think it's super cool, if not something that Providence wouldn't be tragically afraid of.

Fear this.

Archived