Renaissance Place Site - A New development for N. Tryon?

gamecocksfan

A friend of mine works in the office section on the back of the Renissance Place apartment complex on the corner of North Tyron and 9th street. His boss told him that they have to move out by the end of April and that the building is being sold. Does anyone haveany info about this building and what might be built there?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine works in the office section on the back of the Renissance Place apartment complex on the corner of North Tyron and 9th street. His boss told him that they have to move out by the end of April and that the building is being sold. Does anyone haveany info about this building and what might be built there?

don't know, but if they tear down that eyesore, I for one will not shed a tear

Well, there was an effort to sell that site around the year 2000, as that was a time when the "North Tryon Urban Village" RFP was in full force. It all fizzled, though, with the economic downturn.

I'm excited to see what happens.

I heard maybe 6 months ago that it was going to be sold for a residential tower, but then that I heard that deal died because of financing, but maybe they got it now. Or maybe this is something totally different.

Anyway, this is great news. That building is definitely one of my top three to drive a bulldozer through.

While I agree its terribly ugly, I'd rather see it stay, than to have Preferred Parking buy it (or anyone else for that matter) and turn it into a surface lot.

Amen !!! Keep the place until there are concrete plans in place for a development that will for sure replace it. I don't know if could handle another surface lot, especially there ! :(

A2

I have a hunch that in the current market, that someone would not be shelling out the kind of money to be a Tryon St site in Fourth Ward downtown just to put up a parking lot. I could be wrong, but somehow it just seems that if they are actually closing on the land and relocating the current businesses, that they'd have something new. Perhaps even that residential tower has finally gotten financing. Remaining nameless, there have been some other projects around town that have gotten financing more recently, so why not one on Tryon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a hunch that in the current market, that someone would not be shelling out the kind of money to be a Tryon St site in Fourth Ward downtown just to put up a parking lot. I could be wrong, but somehow it just seems that if they are actually closing on the land and relocating the current businesses, that they'd have something new. Perhaps even that residential tower has finally gotten financing. Remaining nameless, there have been some other projects around town that have gotten financing more recently, so why not one on Tryon.

Did I say tower? I meant towers....twin towers at that. Apparantly a developer out of Florida is behind this deal. While it's not a definite, I believe this proposal is as real as most that have already been officially announced.

Nope....different....I think. The Reflections tower was proposed by a guy from Key West. This guy is out of the Tampa area. I was always skeptical of the Reflections proposal, but this one I believe will at least make it to an official media announcement.

I belive 2 condo towers.....probably on the pricey side of Charlotte highrises. I really don't know anything else. If I had to guess a press release, I would say this summer, but that is pure speculation.....if the site really does close at the end of April, that may prompt a release since the buyers name would become public.

a close friend of mine told me to expect more announcements around the new park and baseball stadium, and to expect the park to be virtually closed in with midrise and highrise

just to clarify... there is no definite plan for a baseball stadium uptown, right? i have seen alot of posts here recently that suggest its a done deal in 3rd ward. supposedly, a park in 3rd ward is a done deal, but has taken second fiddle to baseball. i just want to make sure i didn't miss some information stating otherwise.

in any event i can't wait to see what these two towers might look like. with a good look and a tryon address, you know this is going to pull in the who's who.

its not official, but a lot of developers are treating it like its official, go to the novaregroup website, and go to press releases and the right up on the power building site talks about the possibilty for the park and the baseball stadium, and say that was a big deciding factor

http://www.novaregroup.com/news_03_27_06.html

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, i may be losing it, but i swear i heard on WFAE this morning a report that a developer would be building a 53-story residential tower on the Renaissance site... it was slated to have some fractional-interest condos where people could own the condo for portions of the year???? anyone able to confirm this

Could be.......it's supposed to be developed by a Florida developer, and that's a very Florida thing to do :)

I had heard that it was originally going to be twin towers in the 20-30 range, but maybe they combined and are considering selling off the remaining land, or saving it for future development.

That all said, I think Fractional ownership is pretty far-fetched for Charlotte. I can't imagine who it would appeal to, except for people who work uptown and have their homes in the burbs, but typically they make decisions to stay at their "intown" residence spur of the moment, which doesn't work well with Frac. Ownership.

I can't imagine who it would appeal to, except for people who work uptown and have their homes in the burbs, but typically they make decisions to stay at their "intown" residence spur of the moment, which doesn't work well with Frac. Ownership.

Actually, my mother lives in Blowing Rock, and many of her neighbors have "city houses" in Charlotte -- it's more common up there than I would imagine. Basically just so that they can have a place to stay in that feels like home when they want to come into town and see plays, the symphony, musicals, concerts, go shoping, go out to a nice dinner, etc. A fractional ownership might be of benefit to this crowd. 53 stories of it? Now, that may be overboard.

How would a fractional ownership work? Like a timeshare? Same thing? That's whay I'm basing my opinion on, anyway...

OK, i may be losing it, but i swear i heard on WFAE this morning a report that a developer would be building a 53-story residential tower on the Renaissance site... it was slated to have some fractional-interest condos where people could own the condo for portions of the year???? anyone able to confirm this

You heard right. It's on the front page of the CBJ. They say 52 story though. It'll be called Charlotte Club. The company building it is McClain - same ones who lost out on the arena site Centro got. Units are planned to start at $600k and 2500 SF. 80 units total. 35 for sale and the rest fractional. There's a rendering if you can find the paper.

Archived