Renaissance Place Site - A New development for N. Tryon?

gamecocksfan

Ok...I must be missing something....80 units in 52 stories.....assuming that two of those stories are for retail and lobby, that is only 1.6 units per floor. If the average condo is 3,000 sq. ft., thend the average floor size is about 5,000 sq. ft.....that can't be right! Is there also a hotel component? If not, this this thing will be ridiculouly tall and skinny.

Did they say where they are in this proposal? Just conceptual, or did they give any hard dates for pre-sells or construction?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I think about it, there could be a market for this. People like myself could be interested. If I could have access to it for about 6-7 weeks of the year, that could give me a place to stay in town without shacking up at inlaws or being cramped in a small hotel room with the animals. That convenience could be worth a several hundred dollars a month, especially if it is managed like a hotel that would rent out my unused time.

You heard right. It's on the front page of the CBJ. They say 52 story though. It'll be called Charlotte Club. The company building it is McClain - same ones who lost out on the arena site Centro got. Units are planned to start at $600k and 2500 SF. 80 units total. 35 for sale and the rest fractional. There's a rendering if you can find the paper.

Where are you finding this article? I can't find it in the CBJ.

Ok...I must be missing something....80 units in 52 stories.....assuming that two of those stories are for retail and lobby, that is only 1.6 units per floor. If the average condo is 3,000 sq. ft., thend the average floor size is about 5,000 sq. ft.....that can't be right! Is there also a hotel component? If not, this this thing will be ridiculouly tall and skinny.

Did they say where they are in this proposal? Just conceptual, or did they give any hard dates for pre-sells or construction?

Just for you atlrvr!!!

They plan to close on the property within two months and start construction soon after that (almost immediately.) The article stated 3 months. So if you are looking at your Calendar we can expect construction to begin Nov-Dec. Around the same time TWELVE starts.

The completion is to be before 2009. They want it available before the NHOF opens. Plus Frac. Reserve units would do pretty well here. There will be NO DIRECT COMPETITION and there are so many executives in and out of Charlotte that need to stay for more than the night when working on large projects for the banks. Plus many of the Pro Sports players and NASCAR drivers might want to own this. That market is highly underserved in CLT.

I could actually see BofA and WB pushing for this one to come to fruition.

***sidenote---this developer lost out to BC on the arena lot (even though they bid more than BC***

A2

Those are big condos on N. Tryon. To me 600K doesn't sound too steep. And with such a limited number it seems they'll have somreal exclusivity to them.

$600k is for the low end units.

To clarify the CBJ says the condos will be $600k to $1.5M for units of 2500 to 3000 SF. The frac units would be 1000 sf to 3000 sf and sell for $180k to $280k. They are also planning 2 restaurants, a club and meeting rooms.

If the average condo is 3,000 sq. ft., thend the average floor size is about 5,000 sq. ft.....that can't be right! Is there also a hotel component? If not, this this thing will be ridiculouly tall and skinny.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the size of Vancouver's One Wall Centre is?

OK, I am trying to figure out a footprint here, and the numbers I have been crunching mean this tower is going to be probably one of the skinniest highrises in North America, if not the world if what people are saying is true.

So far, the max square footage for any given unit is 3000sq.ft. according to CBJ. With 80 units, let's say there will be 2 units per floor for a total of 40 floors. That leaves a generous 12 floors for parking and all the amenities (club, restaurant, board rooms, etc.). I am giving 4,000sq.ft. per floor for elevators, stairwells, utilities, etc. which is way more than needed but gives us an even 10,000sq.ft. per floor. If the entire building were only 10,000sq.ft. per floor that makes the building less than a quarter of an acre for 52 floors.

Even if the bottom 12 floors are a full acre, that leaves 40 floors on top of that that are still only 100ft. by 100ft. To me, this just can't be accurate. For size comparison, that's less than 1/6th the length and width of the Carillon tower and nearly twice as tall. Can anyone else think of a different way they could do this? That seems almost too skinny for such a tall tower.

Yeah, things aren't adding up. I guess we may have to wait and see if there is an as yet unnannounced amount of spec office space going into this tower. The low vacancy rates would certainly make that a plausable story. Also, perhaps one of our current hotels Uptown ight be seeking new space with the coming of the new TWELVE and Ritz. Do any of our current hotels have leases that will end in the next couple of years? Would it be normal for a hotel to do that to stay competitive or would they simply renovate their current space?

However, I have to say that the tower queensguy just described sounds pretty funny and would look a bit... unstable. Can you imagine the sea sickness one would get at the top of that thing?

Has anyone found a website for this developer?

Hah, I didn't bother opening this thread thinking it was just some small urban project, boy was I surprised! :shok: I can't wait for this to get an official announcement and rendering for the newspapers. If they want to start construction so early, it wouldn't surprise me to see something on the Observer soon.

I haven't come across the article yet, would this be including an underground or upward parking deck? For 80 units, that could ammount to as many as 240 spots (over estimating for staff.) That's really not that big and should only take a few stories to accomplish. I don't get it. Maybe this thing will come out looking like a Jenga set, two completely seperated condos per level above say the 12th floor, that would be very interesting to see.

Here's my early and probably very inaccurate prediction for the tower:

Floor 1 Lobby and retail space

2-6 parking

7 building anemnities

8 building admin

9-12 office spec

13-52 two condos per floor

As much as I doubt the design on CBJ will actually follow through, I like the overall design, especially the deco at the top.

I don't think I would get too worked up over this until it is reported in more than the Charlotte Business Journal. They are notorious for being incorrect about these things. I am not saying this rumor is not true, but it is odd that it is not being reported anywhere else. That's always a bad sign. The SS fanbois must be going crazy though. LOL.

I don't think I would get too worked up over this until it is reported in more than the Charlotte Business Journal. They are notorious for being incorrect about these things. I am not saying this rumor is not true, but it is odd that it is not being reported anywhere else. That's always a bad sign. The SS fanbois must be going crazy though. LOL.

I agree, CBJ just loves to print the word "TOWER" to get us all excited. The whole thing makes no sense if you ask me.

I know we tend to get wrapped up in these things but I'd be suprised if just one of the 50 story towers reaches full height.

Well, I do have to add that they did jump this "announcement" of sorts fairly quickly after losing out to BC on the arena spot. It seems they are serious about this measure if they are in talks to start construction by years end already. This is almost one of those too good to be true things.

Another point too is that if this company wants to get itself a good reputation in the QC, they can't afford to cancel a plan like this. Otherwise they will continue to lose bidding wars to companies that are already well known in the city. This may be their last chance to make a good impression on our city. If they break ground on this project in the time frame they are suggesting, they would cement themselves into the Charlotte scene permanently.

Archived