Renaissance Place Site - A New development for N. Tryon?

gamecocksfan

Neither this nor the arena outparcel will really be a "pencil tower," any more than the Berkman tower will be a pencil tower, or every single building on Michigan Avenue facing Grant Park in Chicago is a pencil tower. They may have a smaller footprint than everything built in Charlotte up until now, but they will certainly be nothing out of the ordinary for the US at all.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I do have to add that they did jump this "announcement" of sorts fairly quickly after losing out to BC on the arena spot. It seems they are serious about this measure if they are in talks to start construction by years end already. This is almost one of those too good to be true things.

Another point too is that if this company wants to gets itself a good reputation in the QC, they can't afford to cancel a plan like this. Otherwise they will continue to lose bidding wars to companies that are already well known in the city. This may be their last chance to make a good impression on our city. If they break ground on this project in the time frame they are suggesting, they would cement themselves into the Charlotte scene permanently.

Very true, all of it.

But it does sound too good to be true. I mean really is it possible I feel like I'm in a dream. But when I wake there won't be any 50 story residential towers, will there be?

Well, the difference is CBJ printed about 615 long AFTER it was already stalled and practically dead. This appears to be brand new plans from a development group that was prepared to spend millions of dollars on land near the arena.

Of course, I would hope that all of us have learned to remain skeptical long after CBJ article, Dougie articles, press releases, marketing websites, and glossy pamphlets. It is all a dream until the money is in the bank and the construction contracts are signed.

Lest we not forget this article and this article.

Better read them while you can. I predict they will soon disappear. :lol:

you never know... It's one thing to start rumors about a complex, but making an "announcement" of sorts in the business journal by letting out one bit of information too many seems like overkill if you aren't certain about your plans. CBJ is highly unreliable at times, but I won't have to worry about that pretty soon as we won't be able to read it for free anymore. If this were a normal condo tower I would have near the same optimism about it as the Vue: no shovels in the ground, but a sound proposal. I'm an optimist, we'll see how this goes.

Doug doesn't do much digging these days.....he sits back and lets developers come to him to help market their properties.

That's why the CBJ is often considered less reliable....they actually do investigative reporting...have anonymous sources, etc. This gives them a jump of a lot of stories, but alas things don't always pan out due to any number of issues.....it's not that the CBJ makes things up, its that they often report on a story when it is still conceptual because a source alerted them.

In contrast, the projects in Doug's articles almost always happen because they are pretty much press releases for a project that is all but a done deal.

Dougie only mentioned the projects that are in active marketing. There are plenty more projects in the dream stage, like this one, that he didn't mention. He also didn't list the Novare projects in Third Ward.

He did, however, mention the Trinity project at the Polk Bldg site, which was something that wasn't consistent with the rest of his article.

Given the number of errors and omissions, I would not read too much into this.

But of course, it is possible he just doesn't believe it will happen. And there is always room on UP for some healthy skepticism. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, it is probably not that great to have no public news, but for better of worse, I think the business journal often finds out about projects before they are fully ready for the full-speed-ahead public marketing. As atlrvr pointed out in earlier, this is a result of reporting on projects before they officially have all their ducks in a row.

Didn't people say that Renaissance Place tenants have until a certain time to get out? I would not be surprised if we are now in the phase of waiting until a lease runs out and waiting to close on the land.

They also might not have gotten lender buy-in for their unusual concept.

Bottom line, though, is that no one really thinks this project is 52 stories. The project was 25 stories when it would have gone at the arena site. The rendering was 25 stories, and most believe the 52 number was a typo the got regurgitated. It seems too coincidental that the newly reported number is an exact transposition of the predecessor project's height.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived