The Myrtle Beach Pavilion is closing?!?!?!

krazeeboi

check the article in the sun news on the day that those idiots (pahos) anounced that there closing down the pavilion it actually goes back to the early part of the 1900's around 1905 or 1908 i don't have the article on me right now it's on one of my disk,but from i can remember that incarnation was active until about 1920 or 1930 and then the pavilion as we knew it was built around 1945, if i have some of the dates wrong i'm sorry about that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe there has been something there like the pavillion since the 1920s. The original facility was damaged and the present building took its place. This used to be part of the original town center and even in the the late 60s when I remember it as a kid, it resembled a quaint beach town. I went to elementary school just a short walk from there and there was one of those art deco movie one screen movie theatres called The Gloria where people in Myrtle Beach went to see the movies. There was a big department store called Chapins (yes of B&C fame) but this was back in the days when they were still part of the community. All of it is gone now in the search of profits.

Once they tear down the Pavillion the area is just going to die into gentrified blandness.

For those concerned with the fate of the Pavilion, there is currently an effort underway between ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) and NAPHA (National amusement park historical Association) to help save this icon. I can tell you now, if the Pavilion goes down, it won't be an easy win for B&C.

There was a great article in the Wall Street Journal several years ago about how tourism in Nashville suffered greatly with the closing of Opryland. It talked about how the convention business didn't make up for the day tripping visitors, the number for visitors passing through the airport was down, visitors per night were down, etc.

The current online petition (see sig) is also gaining national recognition. Personally, I will be working with several coordinators in this effort to keep the Pavilion and amusement park. Wish us luck!

For those concerned with the fate of the Pavilion, there is currently an effort underway between ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) and NAPHA (National amusement park historical Association) to help save this icon. I can tell you now, if the Pavilion goes down, it won't be an easy win for B&C.

There was a great article in the Wall Street Journal several years ago about how tourism in Nashville suffered greatly with the closing of Opryland. It talked about how the convention business didn't make up for the day tripping visitors, the number for visitors passing through the airport was down, visitors per night were down, etc.

The current online petition (see sig) is also gaining national recognition. Personally, I will be working with several coordinators in this effort to keep the Pavilion and amusement park. Wish us luck!

Great news! I'm 110% behind you, and will sign the petition now--and spread the word!

This place must be saved--kudos to those who are heading this up!! :yahoo:

I've signed the petition as well. Coming from someone hailing from the coast of our state and from a city that prides itself on historic preservation, I hope that many preservationists turn their attention to the Pavilion and at least save the original arcade structure, keeping the storied past of our beach city alive! :thumbsup:

But didn't I hear that they were goin' to close it no matter how many signatures were on this thing. And BTW.

Don't they already have plans to redevelop this site.

But didn't I hear that they were goin' to close it no matter how many signatures were on this thing. And BTW.

Don't they already have plans to redevelop this site.

Yes, you did. They said that the Pavillion just wasnt making enough money, so no matter what, it has to close. As for plans for the site, I am not sure. I would not be suprised if they have some nearing finalization. They have been talking about this for well over a year.

It's hard to imagine how something that has been there for more than 70 years, and subject to ever increasing, more well off crowds, is all of a sudden losing money. I don't possibly see how their costs could be going up that much considering that it should have all been paid for decades ago.

My guess is they see a bigger pot of gold out there by turning it into condos or something.

My guess is they see a bigger pot of gold out there by turning it into condos or something.

Exactly! But the main reason the Pavilion "might" be losing money is that they have made ZERO capital investments in the park since the Hurricane Coaster opened in 2000. The park has gradually gone down since then and I assume the reason is because B&C knew they were going to close it.

The "losing money" excuse is just a sorry justification for closing it down. There are many other smaller amusement parks that are open even less days a year than the Pavilion that continue to make profits because they have good management and they continue to invest in their parks.

True, I heard on the news last night that B&C was going to close it regardless of the petition, but like I said, it won't go down without a fight.

Sadly, another historic icon lost to pure greed! The Pavilion is one-of-a-kind structure that will be replaced with some bland cookie-cutter condo, shopping complex.......that you can see anywhere....

If the pavillion were to be demolished for urban renewal development, would this also influence the possibility of the developers going after downtown too?

I signed the petetion and im hoping the pavillion remains there. Part of my childhood/growing up years during the summer months were at the Pavillion & the strip.

Exactly! But the main reason the Pavilion "might" be losing money is that they have made ZERO capital investments in the park since the Hurricane Coaster opened in 2000. The park has gradually gone down since then and I assume the reason is because B&C knew they were going to close it.

The "losing money" excuse is just a sorry justification for closing it down. There are many other smaller amusement parks that are open even less days a year than the Pavilion that continue to make profits because they have good management and they continue to invest in their parks.

True, I heard on the news last night that B&C was going to close it regardless of the petition, but like I said, it won't go down without a fight.

Sadly, another historic icon lost to pure greed! The Pavilion is one-of-a-kind structure that will be replaced with some bland cookie-cutter condo, shopping complex.......that you can see anywhere....

You are so right, on all points.

My question is--why don't they just SELL it? When other corporations want to respond to legitimate complaints from stockholders regarding certain assets no longer wanted, as B&C claims they are doing, they SPIN OFF, DIVEST, or SELL that business. Let another company devote the needed investment in this long neglected cash cow! Perhaps Ripley

My thought on why the Pavilion is probably closing is because in recent years they began charging for entrance to the park. After paying to enter the park one also has to pay for tickets to ride the rides :shok:

That said, I remember when the park first did this and the Pavilion seemed really empty. However, I can also remember when there wasn't a charge to enter the Pavilion and the park seemed full to capacity at times.

Go figure :huh:

My thought on why the Pavilion is probably closing is because in recent years they began charging for entrance to the park. After paying to enter the park one also has to pay for tickets to ride the rides :shok:

That said, I remember when the park first did this and the Pavilion seemed really empty. However, I can also remember when there wasn't a charge to enter the Pavilion and the park seemed full to capacity at times.

Go figure :huh:

You are right--that was one of the most bone-headed decisions they ever implemented!

The City of MB should buy the whole place, open it back up, and make it the centerpiece city park. It would not only be an amusement park, but the Pavilion would be the perfect monument/museum/dance hall for that other gifts to the world from Myrtle Beach: The Shag and Beach Music.

This would be a HUGE attraction, and a mecca for all of us who grew up with this culture, and continue to engage in it. How many shagalicious places must we lose before we wake up to find that all is gone? WAKE UP, Myrtle Beach!!! This is your claim to fame we're talking about, and a potential money-maker much larger than any bland condo project that B&C could come up with!!

God knows I didn't see THIS coming.

The Pavilion, a Myrtle Beach landmark for over 50 years, will be closing in September, which means this tourist season will be its final. The park hasn't really been turning much of a profit lately, according to reports. Redevelopment of the site likely will include a mix of shops, homes and tourist attractions, B&C officials have said, though they could not say whether the redevelopment will be complete by summer 2007.

I will be sad to see it go. My earliest memories of Myrtle Beach include the Pavilion, when it was really in its heyday.

I remember walking by the Pavilion one summer night in 1967 when I was 14 years old. The Delphonics were performing 'La La Means I love You' and the sound drifted out to the street, and they sounded wonderful. One of those moments from our youth that we remember for the rest of our lives. The Burroughs Chapin, Burroughs Collins, etc. companies are very old, very genteel, and centered in Conway, not Myrtle Beach. They view MB with a sort of distaste, from what I have been told. They own tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of acres of land in Horry County and elsewhere, and began as pine pitch producers in the 1800's selling their pine tar products to shipbuilders back in the day of wooden sailing ships. The original developer of MB, named Chapin (from up North somewhere) had a wonderful master plan that he began in the 1920's, which was centered around the old Ocean Forest hotel that was sadly demolished in 1970. A large 'stack-a-shack' condo development is on that site today. The remnants of Chapin's original vision can still be seen in the grand old beach homes on north end of MB proper. He also built Pine Lakes Country Club, still considered one of the best golf courses in America. His dream was halted by the Depression, unfortunately. Later developers lacked Chapin's flair and talent.

A new article appears on MB online from a writer who agrees with B&C's decision to bull-doze the Pavilion.

This writer obviously has no concept of the preservation of historical places and feels the only way to improve is to tear down and build new.

Gosh, how short-sighted some people are.

The writer feels that B&C, being called greedy, is wrong. Does he really think we are that naive?

From ISSAC J. BAILEY

Such an outpouring speaks to the park's allure and overwhelming stature in Myrtle Beach's relatively short history. It shows that the park isn't considered a landmark for nothing.

I guess 58 years is not old enough for the park to be considered an antique to him. You dont destroy history and what i thought, the pavillion lead onto Myrtle Beach evolving into a bigger and better city.

You are right--that was one of the most bone-headed decisions they ever implemented!

The City of MB should buy the whole place, open it back up, and make it the centerpiece city park. It would not only be an amusement park, but the Pavilion would be the perfect monument/museum/dance hall for that other gifts to the world from Myrtle Beach: The Shag and Beach Music.

This would be a HUGE attraction, and a mecca for all of us who grew up with this culture, and continue to engage in it. How many shagalicious places must we lose before we wake up to find that all is gone? WAKE UP, Myrtle Beach!!! This is your claim to fame we're talking about, and a potential money-maker much larger than any bland condo project that B&C could come up with!!

If the city buys the park, they should immediately sell it to another developer who will have vested interest in preserving at least the Arcade building and the legendary roller coasters. I was thinking of Six Flags or Universal Studios becoming the operators. Preserving the structures could be stipulated in the contract.

I just don't think the city should retain the park and use city funds for it. The city seems to lack good leadership and planning abilities as it is. The park needs to be owned and operated by a business who will invest in the park and keep it innovative and attractive. It needs to be owned by people who will compete with B&C and keep them on their toes. Imagine if B&C was bought out and the next company transformed the park into something like Universal Studios Park in Orlando. The company would be ashamed of itself for letting the Pavilion go like it did.

If the city buys the park, they should immediately sell it to another developer who will have vested interest in preserving at least the Arcade building and the legendary roller coasters. I was thinking of Six Flags or Universal Studios becoming the operators. Preserving the structures could be stipulated in the contract.

I just don't think the city should retain the park and use city funds for it. The city seems to lack good leadership and planning abilities as it is. The park needs to be owned and operated by a business who will invest in the park and keep it innovative and attractive. It needs to be owned by people who will compete with B&C and keep them on their toes. Imagine if B&C was bought out and the next company transformed the park into something like Universal Studios Park in Orlando. The company would be ashamed of itself for letting the Pavilion go like it did.

I agree, Chas. Native. Selling it to another enterprise would seem to make sense . . but B&C won't do it, I doubt. They see too much potential in the real estate. IMO, what they have already spent 50+ years establishing there is worth far more than anything newfangled they contrive tomorrow. What is even more ironic is that they are shuttering it without any plans for its replacement. How idiotic!

One hopeful note: you mentioned preserving the roller coasters. Perhaps you are thinking of the classic wooden roller coaster on Ocean Blvd., which indeed does merit preservation. However, it is not part of The Pavilion, thankfully. It is in the other amusement park, the "Family" one. The Pavilion contains many classic old rides, but its roller coasters are not that remarkable.

The most valuable rides/attractions they have are the carousel and the German band organ. These will surely be removed, of course. Perhaps the amusement park down the street will buy them? That would enhance their park, and we all will benefit from hearing the carnivalesque caliope music by the sea! :thumbsup:

One hopeful note: you mentioned preserving the roller coasters. Perhaps you are thinking of the classic wooden roller coaster on Ocean Blvd., which indeed does merit preservation. However, it is not part of The Pavilion, thankfully. It is in the other amusement park, the "Family" one. The Pavilion contains many classic old rides, but its roller coasters are not that remarkable.

Yes, the grand old Swamp Fox coaster just a couple miles south of the Pavilion opened in June of 1966. Happy 40th!!!!! That was my first major coaster and I always make a point to ride it when I go to MB. It is much better than the large coaster at the Pavilion, IMO.

If the evil empire of Burroughs & Chapin do sell off the rides, that amusement park could certainly use some new ones. One has to wonder just how long that amusement park will survive as well. I am sure the property is worth a fortune.

Yes, the grand old Swamp Fox coaster just a couple miles south of the Pavilion opened in June of 1966. Happy 40th!!!!! That was my first major coaster and I always make a point to ride it when I go to MB. It is much better than the large coaster at the Pavilion, IMO.

Actually when the Swamp Fox opened, it was one of the largest coasters on the East Coast. There was nothing at the Pavillion that came close in size as in those days, large steel roller coasters with loops had yet to be invented. The most frightening coaster in those days at the Pavillion was actually right on the water between the Pavillion area and the Gay Dolphin. It was a steel coaster called the wild mouse (I think). It was frightening from the standpoint that it looked as if it was going to fall apart. I believe that roller coaster was torn down by the early 70s and the Gay Dolphin expanded into the space.

The Swamp Fox was almost torn down as well. By the early 80's it was in bad shape as it had not been kept up and there were a lot of rumors the park would be closed and redeveloped. Instead, it was bought out and new owners refurbished the Swamp Fox and added to the amusement area to make it what you see today. The one ride they did remove that I wish they had kept was the air chair ride where you could ride around the park suspended from a cable. There used to be several of these in the beach area, one of them actually went out into the ocean, but they are all gone now. I assume it must be for safety reasons. We have to protect the world from idiots now, and it is easy enough for someone without any common sense to jump out of one of those rides.

Anyway the Swamp Fox is an example of an amusement park that came back from the dead.

The most frightening coaster in those days at the Pavillion was actually right on the water between the Pavillion area and the Gay Dolphin. It was a steel coaster called the wild mouse (I think). It was frightening from the standpoint that it looked as if it was going to fall apart. I believe that roller coaster was torn down by the early 70s and the Gay Dolphin expanded into the space.

You are right monsoon, it was a Wild Mouse. I spoke with the Gay Dolphin's owner several years back. He told me he bought that Wild Mouse back in 1960 but he couldn't remember how long it lasted. He said he thought it was around 1967 but wasn't sure. He sold it to an amusement park down the coast a ways in Folly Beach.

Here is a rare postcard view showing the ride you were referring to.

myrtlemouse.jpg

Archived