Would You Trust a Robot with your Spleen?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think its a robot. I don't even think it is automated. I believe all it is a monitor on wheels that lets a doctor in a central location control the vehicle and make rounds to patients so they can dispence medical advice through a microphone link...

Sorry Rizzo, its a surgery tool. and no, not a gimmick. It's the future (no joke!)

Da Vinci System

From the site:

"Overall, the da Vinci System can provide the surgeon with better visualization, dexterity, precision and control than with open surgery, while enabling operation through 1-2 cm incisions."

Basically, this machine/robot can stabilize a shaky hand when working in small delicate spaces, or can add extra strength when needed while still having a delicate touch.-- the site gives the example of overweight patients...

The Da Vinci Robot can allow surgeons to use minimally invasive techniques that were impossible with an unassisted hand. This is very cool and a great addition to our community!

soleil9. why are you sorry?

Rizzo, I was just correcting you about an automated medicine dispensing robot... I guess I just felt like my future job security was threatened! :P For now, there will still be humans at your bedside (and in about 3.5 years, perhaps even me!)

Grandma Betty,

Where did you hear about this, I've been googling, but haven't found the article/news story you are referring too. Can you post a link?

Thanks!

I'm medically connected:) My Boy Love is a urogical surgery resident @ Metro. Apparently, he said that Spectrum sent out a press release about it on the 9th. Maybe you could look that up? And yes, I think it is a pretty cool toy. Looks like, and is referred to as: the elephants ass. Seriously:) Not really sure how it's much better than doing things laproscopically however, but, hey, it's the future!! Onward and Upward GR.

Being the nerd I am, I watch a lot of Discover (Health, Regular, Wings, Military etc) along with TLC, Animal Planet and History Chans.... That being said, I saw on one of those the same sort of thing that they use in other countries (Europe someplace I believe) that does open heart surgery w/o the opening/cracking the sternum. It created 5 small holes at various locations and little arms and cameras were controlled by the team of surgeons. There was some astronomicaly fast recovery times compared to the way we do things in this country.

Edit: When I saw it, they were awaiting FDA approval for this type of procedure. Heres some links:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/316/7146/1696/e

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/11/19/...bots/index.html

• 10 months later...
Sorry Rizzo, its a surgery tool. and no, not a gimmick. It's the future (no joke!)

Da Vinci System

From the site:

"Overall, the da Vinci System can provide the surgeon with better visualization, dexterity, precision and control than with open surgery, while enabling operation through 1-2 cm incisions."

Basically, this machine/robot can stabilize a shaky hand when working in small delicate spaces, or can add extra strength when needed while still having a delicate touch.-- the site gives the example of overweight patients...

The Da Vinci Robot can allow surgeons to use minimally invasive techniques that were impossible with an unassisted hand. This is very cool and a great addition to our community!

The surgeons here don't get much more then 50K.

The Davinci robot, as I found out form the Saint Mary's article on the same doohickey being purchased there a few days ago isn't so much to have a surgeon in china operating on you in Grand Rapids, its for much less invasive and much more precise cuts during surgery. The surgeon wont be 5000 miles away, more likely he/she will be 5 feet away in another room :P

These things are great in rural hospitals who might not have access to the best surgeons and equipment, and in that case there might be an instance where a surgeon 500 miles away would operate on you. But these machines are also good for precise surgery a normal surgeon couldn't reproduce.

Archived