Cityplace at Buckhead-8 40 story towers planned.

Andrea

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I think about my last job, perhaps it shouldn't have been a surprise we've seen a surplus of Buckhead projects since last year. The majority of Buckhead had been capacity limited & was virtually plugged up, no additional sewer connections were allowed for the Nancy Creek & much of the northern Peachtree Creek basin. A lot of projects, especially the Nancy Creek Tunnel have significantly increased capacity. During the time I worked for Clean Water Atlanta, I can recall a number of developers were foaming at the mouth for developing in Buckhead - since much of Buckhead was off limits since the EPA consent decree.

So we're experiencing an Oklahoma land grab...

I saw this on the Skyscraper forum -- apparently the Related Group's project for the Lenox Superblock.

I was just reading that thread... I Googled and came up with an article that has a little info about the project:

The Passion and Vision of Jorge Perez

For instance, Related is going through the zoning processes now on an approximately 4-million-sq.-ft., mixed-use development in Atlanta's Buckhead area...
In short, Perez is looking to build a strong presence in Atlanta and elsewhere.

"We think Atlanta has a tremendous future growth potential, so it was a place we felt we wanted to be in a large way - not just doing a building, but sort of re-creating what we've done here in South Florida," he said. "That's what our attempt is - to establish a Related Company of Georgia or Atlanta."

On SSP someone said the area being developed is the spot near Lenox Marketplace? Mixed use. Interesting...

ETA: When a rendering is released, please post it. :) Thanks.

^^ More about this development to be called Cityplace

Miami's premier condo developer is diving into the Atlanta market with a very big splash.

Related Group, owned by Jorge M. Perez, is planning a mammoth development near Lenox Square mall in Buckhead. The 19.5-acre project, called Cityplace at Buckhead, will include almost 5 million square feet of residential space and 95,000 square feet of retail between East Paces Ferry and Roxboro roads

The development is expected to include eight to nine 40-story towers and at least one 20-story tower, a large fitness club and spa, and a series of pocket parks, according to the site plan presented to neighborhood leaders.

Miami firm plans string of high-rises

^^ More about this development to be called Cityplace

This may be the most massive project Atlanta has seen yet. Right across the street from the two Pope & Land/Novare towers going up at Peachtree Dunwoody and the various Phipps towers. There's a ton of lowrise and midrise infill going on in that area as well.

There's a front page article in the Business Chronicle about this, in which a Related Groups spokesman says they're interested in finding other land in Atlanta, including downtown and midtown, although they apparently don't have anything specific on the horizon.

can Atlanta support all this development?

Only time will tell my friend........

What I find very interesting...in conjunction with the adding 8 to 9 40 story towers....is the number of residential units. 3832 units could add about 7660 people to that development alone. This in addition to the other highrise developments proposed and under construction (St Regis, The Mansion, 3344 Peachtree, Terminus, Novare's digs and the Pope and Land developments) and of course the towers already there (Park Ave, The Oaks at Buckhead, Park Regency, The Paramount, Buckhead Grand and so forth), you could be talking about more than 25,000 residents in a 1 mile radius. Add to that the malls, the hotels and office buildings and that will be some amazing daytime density.

From another discussion about this development....

This is from a Floridan knowledgeable of other developments done by Related Group of Miami:

You Atlantans will be happy to know that Related gets things done - and in short order - at least in Florida, where they out-Novare Novare in terms of timetable.

That would definitely increase Buckhead's already impressive skyline.

Devolopers are banking on baby boomers that are now beginning to retire. Many of them won't be able to retire in FL, nor will some even want to - but there will be a huge demand for living arrangements that don't involve large houses or yards.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I've said this before but I really think that the US is up for a flip.

Many Euro cities did a flip where the wealthy moved back into the cities and the poor were pushed out to the suburbs. It's funny as an American to go to the suburban slums of Paris. They are a window of what Gwinnett, Clayton and maybe even Cobb may one day be like.

Historically cities like London & Paris had a wealth-drain when those cities grew too big for sewer capacities. The plague really did a number on all of Europe. But when the cities recreated themselves, rebuilt sewer systems, added public transit and built more museums, the wealthier people started to trickle back in, until the trickle became a torrent and the poor where rushed out. It was the opposite of American white-flight. It was Euro white-in-flight. I'm not saying that they had the same racial divide; theirs was more purely economic. But today suburban Paris has amazing places that almost seem like you

Only time will tell my friend........

What I find very interesting...in conjunction with the adding 8 to 9 40 story towers....is the number of residential units. 3832 units could add about 7660 people to that development alone. Add to that the malls, the hotels and office buildings and that will be some amazing daytime density.

This is such a gigantic project. Looks like the aim is to take driving/commuting away. If the estimate number of people living within 1 square mile is to be about 25,000 when all of this gets completed, you would have to build a development that allows for pedestrian traffic versus driving. What a vision!

I've only been in Atlanta for 15 years, but long enough to see one of the most charming little neighborhoods to be completely torn down. Also - a historical note, this area is also home to the second Black neighborhood that has been torn down in the past 50 years. Sorry I can't provide details, but I came across some documents that surveyed an old Black town that existed near Lenox MARTA station. The other Black town was on the site of GA 400.

But oddly enough what we've witnessed around Lenox is what the natural urban progression has historically been. As the office center grows & the area densifies, adjacent single family neighborhoods are torn down. This has been done with limited neighborhood activism (though at times vocal). Whereas, what is largely single family around downtown will most likely always be that way due to historic districts & strong neighborhood activists.

Also - a historical note, this area is also home to the second Black neighborhood that has been torn down in the past 50 years. Sorry I can't provide details, but I came across some documents that surveyed an old Black town that existed near Lenox MARTA station. The other Black town was on the site of GA 400.

But oddly enough what we've witnessed around Lenox is what the natural urban progression has historically been. As the office center grows & the area densifies, adjacent single family neighborhoods are torn down. This has been done with limited neighborhood activism (though at times vocal). Whereas, what is largely single family around downtown will most likely always be that way due to historic districts & strong neighborhood activists.

Johnsontown. (It may even be on the MARTA website).

Another historic black community ousted from Buckhead was Macedonia, where Bagley Park is. The village had about 400 black families, shops, restaurants, churches and a blacksmith shop. In the 1930's the Klan terrorized the community and forbade blacks from even coming onto city streets. Fulton County confiscated the property in the 1940s and razed the village.

And of course Lynwood Park is undergoing a dramatic transformation now, although I think there may be a more entrepreneurial aspect to it than what happened in Johnsontown and Macedonia.

There's actually a tremendous amount of neighborhood activism in the Buckhead area. (You should see the meetings whenever a new development is proposed). The neighborhoods have had to deal with historic preservation, GA400, the Buckhead Village debacle, massive commercial pressures, traffic, etc., etc.

Very interesting Teshadoh.

You know, I think I'm going to start to do a little more historical research on city neighborhoods. There is a story to be told everywhere you turn here in Atlanta. I'm sure the Lenox area looks nothing like it did when those establishments were there...I wish we could perhaps see pictures of the area. *Looking towards Andrea* :blush: It would be interesting to be able to give the historical significance of the area while showing visitors the 9 gleaming 40 story tall buildings on this 19 acre parcel of land.

As far as the site itself, Andrea has already answered that it's adjacent to the Lenox MARTA station. This will be expretemely convenient for the residents. You will be able to close up your home, hop on MARTA and be at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in 30 minutes or so. All the fine dining, and convenient retail that will be apart of this project will almost...almost negate having to drive one's automobile. I can't wait to see the plans for the development. From what they have done in Florida, this will be very nice.

I still adore the Mansion and 3344 Peachtree though. :D

Here is a satellite image of where the development is going to be located. It is the 19 acre section outlined in the peacock blue.

roxborodevelopments2.jpg

Thank you to Ersh @ SSP for the exhibit.

The building which has the words E Paces Ferry Rd NE over it is where the Lenox MARTA Station is located. Well actually about 20 feet east at the corner of East Paces Ferry and Lenox Rd....but you get the picture. As you can see, it will be steps for public transportation. Of course, I am curious to see how Roxboro and East Paces Ferry Rd will handle all the increased traffic. This image is slightly dated as that I know I have seen a midrise housing development across from the building with the street name imposed on it.

Celeste, it may actually be even more dense than that.

The Alexan apartments are next door to Atlanta Plaza (across E. Paces Ferry from Resurgens Plaza, the building on top of the Lenox station). Additionally, the project doesn't go all the way to Kingsboro Road -- for instance, the Villas, an existing 20 story condo tower is already at the corner of Kingsboro and Oak Valley. There's also a big chunk of land on the northeast corner of Kingsboro and Roxboro that is not included in the project.

However, the project does wrap around the Grandview (shown in the photo) and Atlanta Plaza and borders on Oak Valley.

Looks like the architect is Arquitechtonica.

Archived