Cityplace at Buckhead-8 40 story towers planned.

Andrea

As much as I understand that this developer is probably giving what his target market wants...ie...limited access, plazas and quaint side streets....I am a little underwhelmed by the site plan also. Perhaps it will look a little better once it's done in color. I am baffled as to why there was a need for a cul de sac. Again, perhaps he knows more about what his target market wants but he should also do whatever it takes to make this as community oriented as possible. Building eight or nine 40 story tall buildings in a nice collection is no small feat. Let's hope this is done right to insure the intergrity of the Buckhead submarket.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope so Andrea. Isn't that your neck of the city? The current site plan seems to turn away from the MARTA Station. Maybe I'm not seeing it right since the graphics are all black and white. Maybe I need a 40 inch screen to see some of the detailing but the street set up is less than favorable to a walkable area.

Let's hope so Andrea. Isn't that your neck of the city? The current site plan seems to turn away from the MARTA Station. Maybe I'm not seeing it right since the graphics are all black and white. Maybe I need a 40 inch screen to see some of the detailing but the street set up is less than favorable to a walkable area.

It is, Celeste, and yes, there will be further discussions. I don't believe the architect or the developer are interested in turning away from the MARTA station -- to the contrary, I think that's one of the reasons the site is considered so desirable.

It is, Celeste, and yes, there will be further discussions. I don't believe the architect or the developer are interested in turning away from the MARTA station -- to the contrary, I think that's one of the reasons the site is considered so desirable.

That's good. I have my eye on this development. I will probably not always call Atlanta primary home but will have to maintain something here...as long as my parent are still living here. It would be nice to have something secure, close to public transportation (so you can hop on the train and go directly to the airport) around great shopping and fine dining. My hopes are that this will turn out to be a beautiful development that is user friendly and urban oriented.

Please Andrea, if you can, keep us updated with whatever neighborhood discussions you can.

Wow! That's really bad. There are so many driveways. I can't imagine that it will be very pedestrian friendly. I hope that the plans change.

Well, I'm sure they will change. Even so, I think you have to bear in mind that this contemplates around 4,000 housing units (maybe 8-10,000 residents or more) with maybe 4 or 5 vehicle entry points and less than 2 full cross streets. That would make it roughly the size of Kennesaw or Douglasville scrunched into 16 acres.

I agree, the site plan looks pretty bleak, and I certainly hope this development looks nothing like that mess in Orlando.

Of equal concern, is the Atlanta market really ready to absorb an additional 4,000 condo units? From what I'm hearing, the condo market is quickly reaching saturation. Considering all the other condos already under development, will Cityplace be the icing on an over-built cake?

It's been mentioned on another site - but let the number of condos over saturate the market. Truely, I'm sorry for those that bought condos (in case they spent + $250k) & don't want to hear me say this - but condo prices are too high in Atlanta. I wanted a condo over 2 years ago but it was cheaper to buy a massive house & .2 acre of land than a simple 2 bed condo in Midtown.

Hopefully the prices will bottom out & it will be mostly those speculative buyers that get screwed with the losses. Then more middle income couples can afford to buy one.

Of equal concern, is the Atlanta market really ready to absorb an additional 4,000 condo units? From what I'm hearing, the condo market is quickly reaching saturation. Considering all the other condos already under development, will Cityplace be the icing on an over-built cake?

Won't the market sort all that out?

• 1 month later...

I almost want to say I can't believe it but this is Atlanta so not only can I believe it, but I expected it.

Yep. I talked to a couple of the guys at The Related Group and they basically said, "Hey, this is Atlanta, people want their cars." I hate to admit it but they're probably right.

I remember reading an article about somebody who'd bought one of the higher end condos at Atlantic Station, and he worked for UPS out at Windward Parkway! One of the problems with Atlanta is that most of the jobs are scattered out all over creation rather than being focused in any single area. Granted, we do have an urban core of sorts running from Downtown up to Lenox, but even that pales in comparison to the vastness of the suburbs. I've lived in a number of intown neighborhoods and it's not at all unusual to find people driving 15-20 miles into the suburbs for work.

I noticed on my way to work this morning they're begun clearing the land for the first phase of Cityplace.

I think that is actually another development by the Finger Cos. (who did the Phipps Place apartments on another part of the Superblock).

So it got approved....that was quick.

I realize some have expressed displeasure with the site plan and I don't think it's perfect either. But let's be honest -- they city contemplated 25 years ago that the superblock would be intensely developed, and since that time changes have been sporadic. This is in part due to market conditions but sewer and transportation obstacles played a part, too. In the 80's two class A office towers were built, and there've also been 2 or 3 condo towers, and some fairly nice retail and apartment developments.

Cityplace isn't going to transform Atlanta into Manhattan, but it can certainly bring the city closer to becoming an increasingly desirable alternative to suburban sprawl. If it's built out, and if other residential projects in that area like 3630 Peachtree, the second Kusmiersky tower, the Phipps Towers, the Mansion, 3344 Peachtree, the Post towers, Terminus, etc., etc., are brought to fruition, then you've got substantial additional momentum for high-end residential in the city. This is likely to occur all up and down the Peachtree Corridor, and I think one of the major challenges for the future will be to accomodate and promote these developments while still taking care of the old neighborhoods that are its core.

I realize some have expressed displeasure with the site plan and I don't think it's perfect either. But let's be honest -- they city contemplated 25 years ago that the superblock would be intensely developed, and since that time changes have been sporadic. This is in part due to market conditions but sewer and transportation obstacles played a part, too. In the 80's two class A office towers were built, and there've also been 2 or 3 condo towers, and some fairly nice retail and apartment developments.

Cityplace isn't going to transform Atlanta into Manhattan, but it can certainly bring the city closer to becoming an increasingly desirable alternative to suburban sprawl. If it's built out, and if other residential projects in that area like 3630 Peachtree, the second Kusmiersky tower, the Phipps Towers, the Mansion, 3344 Peachtree, the Post towers, Terminus, etc., etc., are brought to fruition, then you've got substantial additional momentum for high-end residential in the city. This is likely to occur all up and down the Peachtree Corridor, and I think one of the major challenges for the future will be to accomodate and promote these developments while still taking care of the old neighborhoods that are its core.

Something isn't always better than nothing, Andrea. The layout is bad and this is a permanent thing. 20 years from now they wont be able to look back and say oh we screwed up, lets start it over again. It's a bad plan to start with and not a good framework at all, no matter how cool it is that so much is going up at once.

Something isn't always better than nothing, Andrea. The layout is bad and this is a permanent thing. 20 years from now they wont be able to look back and say oh we screwed up, lets start it over again. It's a bad plan to start with and not a good framework at all, no matter how cool it is that so much is going up at once.

Well, I might do it differently myself, nick, but I messed around too long and the Related Group beat me to the punch.

• 3 weeks later...

The new site plan for CityPlace has been updated and released.

Site plan for City Place at Buckhead

It a much improvement over the intial offering.

Towers A - H will be 424' high.

Tower I will be 259' high.

There also appears to be sidewalks throughout the development as well as more townhomes.

I hope that towers A - H can be architecturally different. Although placed at different angles, the sameness of height may look funny at first.

Archived