Cityplace at Buckhead-8 40 story towers planned.

Andrea

At least Atlantic Station offers a street experience. As much as I love the tops and then functions of Portman's towers, his effect on the sidewalk is brutal. I was just down there this past weekend and did a photo series I will post here. There is streetlife at AS. Apparently there will be streetlife at Cityplace. Just because there is a concentration that has a boundary doesn't mean it can't work. Did Jane Jacobs ever notice that the ballet of NYC's streets has very long intermissions? There more places than not that have less street ballet than what I've seen at Atlantic Station.

At least, also, these developers are putting some true density near a Marta station. In order to fit 4.4m people around 37 Marta stops, each stop would have to have 119K people within a 1/2 mile of the station. That's zoning of about R220. Marta is totally ineffective for those either living or working outside the 1/2 mile radius of the stations.

....or maybe they should have just put some R2 mansions on this land making Marta even more of a joke.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least Atlantic Station offers a street experience. As much as I love the tops and then functions of Portman's towers, his effect on the sidewalk is brutal. I was just down there this past weekend and did a photo series I will post here. There is streetlife at AS. Apparently there will be streetlife at Cityplace. Just because there is a concentration that has a boundary doesn't mean it can't work. Did Jane Jacobs ever notice that the ballet of NYC's streets has very long intermissions? There more places than not that have less street ballet than what I've seen at Atlantic Station.

At least, also, these developers are putting some true density near a Marta station. In order to fit 4.4m people around 37 Marta stops, each stop would have to have 119K people within a 1/2 mile of the station. That's zoning of about R220. Marta is totally ineffective for those either living or working outside the 1/2 mile radius of the stations.

....or maybe they should have just put some R2 mansions on this land making Marta even more of a joke.

I used to feel the same way about AS that ryan does, but I just think you have to give it time to become totally integrated within the urban fabric of the city. Right now it does feel somewhat isolated and "theme-parkish," but I think it will come to have a rather genuine feel in time.

I agree with you, it's not the density I dislike. It's the mega project aspect of it that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Atlantic Station feels like an urban amusement park because everything was built, more or less, at one time. Atlantic Station does have some sort of street life, in that regards you are correct. But I will venture to say that you will never hear anyone say "I walked around Atlantic Station for hours admiring the architecture". Now I know that having CityPlace built by one developer doesn't necessarily preclude good architecture, but if history holds true, CityPlace will be just as monotonous as Atlantic Station.

Related Readies Nine-Tower Buckhead Project

The Related Group of Miami is penciling the start for CityPlace Buckhead, a nine-tower condominium project for late summer, according to a company spokeswoman.

One CityPlace, phase one of the development, will feature a 29-story tower with 230 condos and 11 townhomes.

The second phase will be 2:CP and will be geared toward first-time homebuyers with condos starting in the $200,000s. Arquitectonica has been tapped to design the project.

• 4 months later...

Well I like the new tower. Since there are to be 8 more towers in this location, I fee that this design offers a difference to other residential towers in the area. While the design is not earth-shattering, I feel it will speak well to the clientele in which the developers hope to entice. Simple and elegant.

Well I like the new tower. Since there are to be 8 more towers in this location, I fee that this design offers a difference to other residential towers in the area. While the design is not earth-shattering, I feel it will speak well to the clientele in which the developers hope to entice. Simple and elegant.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What I love most about the CityPlace development is the garden-like concept of it. I have to agree with a lot of you, that it does deviate a bit from what the rest of Buckhead looks like, but I think that when the finished product emerges, it will be much better than what is portrayed in these renderings. Most developments almost always are better than what the renderings illustrate.

Archived