The Floridian

Florida

Introducing:

floridian-header.jpg

Here comes the newest development from The Booth Companies right smack in the core of Downtown Tallahassee! Its called The Floridian, not to be confused with the Floridan development across the street being developed The McKibbon Group.

Some of the most visible, viable property in downtown Tallahassee has recently been purchased by The Floridian, LLC, another property by Booth. Plans for the site are being finalized to insure they are the very best for Tallahassee. Look for a formal announcement in the near future.[/quote]--Booth Living

I spoke with Erica, a representitive on this project who reports it will more than likely be a highrise Mixed use building. I told her I'd be very interested in knowing about any Condo units that would come avaiable as I plan to be in the market upon commencement of this project.

Here's a map for those not familiar with the Block:

map_th.gif

Its the same project we've been discussing in the "18-20 Building thread"

Go Tallahassee!!! :yahoo:

--TJ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on vacation in Sanibel, so I'll keep this short and sweet...why on earth would they name this project ONE letter different than a project that is going up diagonally across the street from them? Surely they have some idea of what might happen across the street? So for the record let me state...I hate this name and I think these developers are stupid for naming it like they did. Let's hope they have the good sense to change it later on.

How crazy & confusing this will be! :wacko: I don't like this "name-game" thing going on either. Maybe Booth thinks if they get their project underway first it will force the other guys to change their name to avoid all the confusion that will result. "Floridan" or "Floridian" are both good names but not on similar major projects in the same town & certainly not in the same vicinity on opposite corners!!! :huh:

BTW, Thank you for sharing the information, TJ. Now we've just got to get Hertz to move out! :lol:

I like Floridan because its a throw-back name to an old building on the same site. Floridian, however, seems a bit uncreative, yet I do want to see where they want to take this project in terms of design and scale. I think we DO need more buildings and projects that will link us to the rest of the state. I'll wait around for a design or site plan before I comment on the name choice.

Names dont bother me if the buildings are different. I want height here though, it will be a sad thing to fall short of 15.. (the 10 story floridan is sad to me, on such a corner we need to strive for more). Its on an awsome ridgeline, take advantage now before all the good lots are gone!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm right about this....as I drove by earlier today it appeared that Hertz has FINALLY moved out of the old BP station. There was no signage, no cars, no signs of life at all but I didn't have time to go back to confirm if they are really gone. If so, maybe we'll see some activity at this site soon...yeah!!! :)

I thought about this today. Booth has told me they don't know what they plan to do with the property, and that they will send me an update as soon as there is something concrete planned. I wouldn't expect any activity any time soon... unless activity means clearing the site.

Not sure who the arch. is, but Booth is the developer. They are infamous around town for their "SMARTIES" apartments. Let me say again, I don't like the name b/c of what is happening on the other corner and they should continue w/their name Floridan b/c it has history w/it.

scape_shifter you baited us and caught us...you are naughty! :P

Please no Booth style multi-colored Pez/Smarties bldgs. Also an all brick Georgian style bldg like those up at the Metro Corp. Center at T'ville/I-10 would be severe suckage IMO too.

Might I suggest a native palm or two in the landscaping and go light on the Crappy Myrtles please.

I still find the name too confusing w/the Floridan going up diagonally across the corner. Tally ain't that big where all the good names have been used up, there must be a few other names that could connect us to the rest of the state in its name and be less confusing.

I'd like to suggest a design that shows we are both Southern and Floridian.

No promises either way but I presented 4 very different designs intitially ranging from very conservative to very unconventional. Here is one of the rejected designs:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/scap.../slabomatic.jpg

The name was chosen before there was ever a project on the adjacent corner. As 'Floridan' was already registered and seemed to be missing a vowel/syllable, 'Floridian was chosen.

While I don't like that bldg. specifically, I do like the fact that bldg. would make that corner "'pop," define it and give it a sense of place which that gateway corner needs. I hope the chosen bldg. does the same.

No matter what the justifications are, the names are confusing, plain and simple. One should be changed. Maybe we could block off the intersection and just have the developers mud wrestle in a ring in front of the public for naming rights. :D

If the names remain the same, I'm sure I will just refer to them as the "I" bldg. and the without an "I" bldg. or the "spelled" and the '"misspelled"

Any bets folks on the fact they will choose (or already have) the very conservative submittal?

No promises either way but I presented 4 very different designs intitially ranging from very conservative to very unconventional. Here is one of the rejected designs:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/scap.../slabomatic.jpg

The name was chosen before there was ever a project on the adjacent corner. As 'Floridan' was already registered and seemed to be missing a vowel/syllable, 'Floridian was chosen.

I'm confused Scape Shifter... are you the designer of this project? If so that's really cool.

No matter what the justifications are, the names are confusing, plain and simple. One should be changed. Maybe we could block off the intersection and just have the developers mud wrestle in a ring in front of the public for naming rights. :D

I definitely agree on the name. It would be a mistake to have to buildings with those names in the same city, let alone in the same block.

In my old neighborhood I lived on a street called Stirling Dr. The city made us change it because there was another street in Waverly named Sterling. The reasoning was in regards to emergency services, but in reality it also helped with pizza delivery.

I would imagine the same types of concerns will affect residents/tenants in these two buildings if the names stay.

Archived