Downtown Saturday Market

gs3

In just a few weeks, the Saturday morning downtown market will be starting back. This is such a great event! Would be wonderful to see a permanent building devoted to this. Year round. The city could do a beautiful open air market. Any ideas on this guys? Location? Does the city have this in the works? Could the farmers market move downtown?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be wonderful to see a permanent building devoted to this. Year round. The city could do a beautiful open air market. Any ideas on this guys? Location?

Why not just build a structure between the two parts of East Court Street? Something along the lines of the Market Street market (only much shorter, obviously) in Charleston, only with an Upstate/Mill flair! This would be great! If not in the middle part of East Court Street, then perhaps somewhere in the West End? Too bad the downstairs at the West End Market is too small.

In just a few weeks, the Saturday morning downtown market will be starting back. This is such a great event! Would be wonderful to see a permanent building devoted to this. Year round. The city could do a beautiful open air market. Any ideas on this guys? Location? Does the city have this in the works? Could the farmers market move downtown?

I believe that's how the West End Market came about. It was unsuccessful, most likely due to location. At that time, nobody was going into the West End. I think if were attempted again, it could work. As far as location, there are probably numerous parcels just off of South Main or Academy that could house a permanent structure. Once the Kroc Center and the 160 acre park were complete, I think you would have a hit. :thumbsup:

Okay, I'll let you in on a portion of my vision for Rhett Street. I see the entire stretch as an arts, crafts, antiques, unique retail, and dining corridor from the top of the hill behind Pendleton Street Baptist Church, all the way down to RiverPlace. This is the cool part: A section of the road closest to RiverPlace would be permanently blocked off for pedestrians, beautifully landscaped, and paved with brick, stone, and other appealing materials. Park benches would be included, and plenty of space reserved for tents or booths such as used at the Saturday Market on Court Street. With quaint shops and galleries lining the street, this would easily become one of the most memorable retail districts in Greenville. Also consider the visitors staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites at RiverPlace, and the large amount of pedestrian traffic the new fountain and riverwalk will provide to that part of the city. It is a perfect setup. What do you all think? Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

Okay, I'll let you in on a portion of my vision for Rhett Street. I see the entire stretch as an arts, crafts, antiques, unique retail, and dining corridor from the top of the hill behind Pendleton Street Baptist Church, all the way down to RiverPlace. This is the cool part: A section of the road closest to RiverPlace would be permanently blocked off for pedestrians, beautifully landscaped, and paved with brick, stone, and other appealing materials. Park benches would be included, and plenty of space reserved for tents or booths such as used at the Saturday Market on Court Street. With quaint shops and galleries lining the street, this would easily become one of the most memorable retail districts in Greenville. Also consider the visitors staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites at RiverPlace, and the large amount of pedestrian traffic the new fountain and riverwalk will provide to that part of the city. It is a perfect setup. What do you all think? Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

:wub:

Why not just build a structure between the two parts of East Court Street? Something along the lines of the Market Street market (only much shorter, obviously) in Charleston, only with an Upstate/Mill flair! This would be great! If not in the middle part of East Court Street, then perhaps somewhere in the West End? Too bad the downstairs at the West End Market is too small.

Great idea RT! Something like the Wyche Pavillion, but one level?

Sounds fantastic Skyliner! :thumbsup: Like NYT states above, with all the increased activity in West End, the foot traffic will be there. This sounds similar to a street in Burlington, VT that they closed off and turned into the outdoor market type atmosphere. I have a pic somewhere, I'll see if I can find. Instead of just a closed street that is a pedestrian mall, this closed street would be an actual market. Love the idea! :thumbsup: The style of architecture should be in keeping with West End.....old brick.....like RT says, the "Mill flair". :thumbsup: Rhett Street would be perfect as traffic on the Academy viaduct would look down on it......it would grab attention from those passing by.

Having driven North and South on Rhett Street very often in recent weeks/months, I must say that I can EASILY envision what you've described here, Skyliner! I LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

Archived