Nascar at Rentschler Field

malikr65

I was just watching ESPN and they asked a driver where he would like to see NASCAR's next racetrack. He said that he would love to see one built somewhere in the New York area. I was wondering if the Hartford area can support a NASCAR racetrack at Rentschler Field and whether or not you guys think it would be a good idea.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm not a fan of NASCAR, an event in Hartford would do very well. There are more people within a two hour drive of Hartford than other city in the country besides Manhattan. A NASCAR event would draw from both the Boston and New York markets.

Other than the track in New Hampshire, where is the closest one?

Their point guard and General Manager are the Knicks excuses. Now see, if Okafor was healthy, you'd be much better for the year, but he's missed so much time, it's irrelevant. It's OK though, think of the awesome pick you'll get to supplement that team....

Their point guard and General Manager are the Knicks excuses. Now see, if Okafor was healthy, you'd be much better for the year, but he's missed so much time, it's irrelevant. It's OK though, think of the awesome pick you'll get to supplement that team....

I've heard rumors that they may pick up another UConn player this year. They'd be pretty damn good with Okafor and Gay or Williams.

It's OK though, think of the awesome pick you'll get to supplement that team....

Thats always the upside, if there is any, of having a losing record. The marketing to ensure the fact that Emeka is the franchise player in Charlotte has been crazy since he's been drafted. You would have thought he was Kobe during his first season. They are trying to give Ray Felton(not so much May) the same amount of press, since he is the Carolina boy. I love Okafor, but a part of me inside still thinks about the fact that if the Bobcats had been completely established just eleven months earlier, they could have drafted LeBron, Mello, or my boy Wade. Oh well, I'm back in Miami now for school. Go HEAT!! :D

Yes, I think the track would do well in the area. There were plans to build the first domed race track in Plainfield right next to the old dog track, but I don't know what happened with that.

The one problem would be, as anyone who has gone to a race knows, is traffic. That would be a colossal nightmare. You think traffic after UConn football games and concerts at The Rent is bad? Those would be cakewalks compared to what a NASCAR race would do.

Yes, I think the track would do well in the area. There were plans to build the first domed race track in Plainfield right next to the old dog track, but I don't know what happened with that.

The one problem would be, as anyone who has gone to a race knows, is traffic. That would be a colossal nightmare. You think traffic after UConn football games and concerts at The Rent is bad? Those would be cakewalks compared to what a NASCAR race would do.

That proposal looked like it didn't have much of a chance from the get-go. Between the community opposition and substantial cost of the project I'm not surprised. Right now the papers' coverage of the project seems to be petering out along with all hopes of this becoming a reality. The NIMBYs in Plainfield have since redirected their energy at the proposed wood-burning power plant.

I really can see why the NIMBYs would oppose the track. Who wants 100,000 cars on 395 inconveniencing us with miles long traffic jams every race weekend, as they have in Cow Hampshire? Sure, a race is a huge boon to the local economy, but the cost is the town is overburdened when one occurs. The (in)frequency of these events also contributes to the problem that other projects that NIMBYs oppose don't, as improved infrastructure would not be utilized except for when there's a race, and thus wouldn't be built. Even if the track is built, there's no guarantee they'll be able to host a Nextel (slim) or even Busch (more likely but still not guaranteed) event.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Plainfield racetrack proposal dead

PLAINFIELD -- More than a year after adopting the resort/recreation zone, the Planning and Zoning Commission Wednesday night revoked its decision, returning the property to its previous designation.

The commission voted 4-1 to accept First Selectman Kevin Cunningham's application. Commission member Gloria Rizer was the only one to vote against the application.

Oh well. I'm sure if he's serious about this plan he could find another site for this. The airport property in Waterford, perhaps?

Archived