Gaslight Village

hood

GaslightVillage.jpg

Haven't heard much about this, I guess it will be on Lake Lansing between Harrsion and Abbott. It says there are 700 housing units either in planning or under construction :blink: , I can't beleive I haven't heard barely anything about this until now. In this buildinf there will be just over 19,000 sq. ft of retail and apartments/condos above, it will be directly on Lake Lansing. It is listed through CBRE but there is no way to dorect link to the site. It says the retail will be avalible on 9/1/06, so they are probably already building this or they will be starting very soon.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The development is actually located at the corner of Lake Lansing and Abbott Road. The development forms an L with frontage on Abbott and frontage on Lake Lansing. The corner frontage is occupied by a strip shopping center. I believe I remember this being a pretty heavy mixed use development. I haven't seen that rendering before, but it looks nice.

Here are pictures that I took back in late October. There has now been substantial development on the property. I am going to try and take some pictures today (Sunday), but here are the old ones.

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Thanks, I hope to see your pics soon. I was looking at the property info page and it said that building permits had already been taken out for this and construction begun. I'm really glad to see some smart development up that way.

Here is a panorama that I took today of the site. It might be kind of hard to see much from the picture, but there are plenty of heavy construction machinery on site. Towards the middle of the picture, you can see a wall starting to go up. This is picture is located on Abbott Road, one block north of Lake Lansing.

gaslight.jpg

This development is killing me, trying to get to work/school on time. Sometimes there is no traffic, other times there is a 15 minute wait while machinery maneuvers down Chandler Road. I wish they would just use the entrance on Lake Lansing road, where there is much less congestion.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Gaslight Village, the phase I building, is 60,000 s.f. (20 per floor)--commercial first floor; (20) 2-story condos on the upper two floors. The room over the 'bridge' is an association meeting room. Phase II will be 80 rowhouses behind this building. The architectural styling is similar to this building.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of this. It doesn't front the street? That's very disappointing considering Lake Lansing is a pleasant drive and could have been made MUCH more attractive if zero setback could have enhanced the walkability and sense of place.

Well, yes and no. It depends on which part of Lake Lansing this is. I'd have to see what the surroundings are like. Closer to East Lansing, I can imagine it up to the street. Further east toward Haslett, not so much. The first rendering looks like it is intended to front a street.

None of the commercial buildings on Lake Lansing front the street, even in East Lansing and Lansing. There are old homes that front the street, but no commercial buildings from what I can recall. They all have parking in front. You'd find no happier than myself if they built this to the street, but I wasn't even expecting it. I guess there has to be a first for everything, but I must say I've become more cynical, so I don't ever expect urban developments much anymore, even in urban areas most of the time. If we can barely get them in city propers, it doesn't leave much hope for seeing them in suburban areas, and especially Lake Lansing road.

Let me tell you, though, this development would have looked even better fronting, or soaring over, somewhere along East Michigan Avenue in Lansing.

This building sits quite far back from the street, however it isn't even on Lake Lansing, it's on Chandler, just north of Lake Lansing.

Also I can think of only one commercial building fronting Lake Lansing, the Liquor store at the corner of Lake Lansing and Massachusetts or Vermont.

Archived