Greenville Events: take 2

goodbye

Okay, thinking of today's Greenville, I couldn't help realizing how several events we should have, miss us. For starters, there is no reason Greenville shouldn't host a regional NCAA men's basketball tournament annually. From there, you can extend to other NCAA events and we'd fit many of them easily. These bring great publicity for the city, but we get them so rarely that many people forget.

What are some of the events you think Greenville could have?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People get too carried away with this whole flag debate. It is a major part of SC state history, and has a memorial to honor that. It doesn't mean anything else. If that offends you, then it's just something to live with (tolerate). People are free to think whatever they want. You can't live in this World and not be offended once in a while. It's just life. :)

I wish they would just take the flag off of the state house grounds. The flag, to many people, is a symbol of racism and hatred - regardless of how it was intended then or now. It is not an official flag and I don't understand why it can't be put elsewhere. At the same time, the original agreement between the state and the NAACP was to take it off of the top of the state house and put it elsewhere on the grounds. That was the agreement, and obviously the NAACP decided that they didn't like the compromise after all. So we still have this stupid boycott that makes oru state look backwards and racist. That isn't fair to the overwhelming majority of South Carolinians who are not racist. I think the NAACP would be much better off to get involved with other issues. Creating controversy like this doesn't help anyone, does it?

I still think hosting an event like the X-Games would help out alot.I believe I remenber seeing this in another thread. Don't we currently have one of the largest skate parks in the country being builtoff of Garlington.

I still think hosting an event like the X-Games would help out alot.I believe I remenber seeing this in another thread. Don't we currently have one of the largest skate parks in the country being builtoff of Garlington.

I don't remember which one but on of the skateparks in Greenville is hosting X-Game tryouts.....it's a start

It helps with the bullying agenda the NAACP attempts to impose on the rest of the U.S. But now we are leaving the topic and heading into deeper waters. Lets not continue discussing such issues which will obstruct the flow of this thread. ;)

Bullying by any organization is no way to achieve any meaningful result.

I don't remember which one but on of the skateparks in Greenville is hosting X-Game tryouts.....it's a start

With the whole cycling scene exploding here and the kayaking / whitewater possibilities in the nearby mountains, I could very easily see X-Games here. Great that we are hosting tryouts! :thumbsup: Do you have more info on this?

WooHoo, I can't think of anything better to do on a Saturday night, than jump into a flame war of sorts. Ok, so I don't like the confederate flag..big deal. I also don't like beans, eggs, peas, and driving on I-85. That said, I don't mandate that everywhere I go accomadate my needs. People would laugh at me if I walked into IHOP and asked for an omlete minus the eggs, or that they remove all traces of eggs from the building.It's like going into a peanut sterile evironment. If you have an allergy to peanuts, DON'T GO to Jim's House of Peanuts. This is the real world. We don't get what we want all the time. There are 5 BILLION others who might like eggs, others may not like eggs, some might like green eggs. There is a fine line called compromise, and it's very easy to cross. Tonight I was at the Flying Saucer in Columbia with my friend Reed and we came across some stereotypical drama. Pretty simple. Lets be mature here, and just ignore these jabs, because it's one group of people throwing the jabs at a specific group that everyone knows is high volitile and emotional. Just because we might not like something doesn't mean that we have to ruin it for everyone. I'm a smoker, I know most people don't like it, but I still excuse myself if my company isn't comfortable with it.

My opinion on this boycott, is for the past few years, not many people have paid attention. Those who whine about it don't realize that WalGreens, BMW, IBM, Michellin, Ryobi, and a whole bunch of other companies don't feel the same way. The last person that I know honored it was Dennis Kucinich during the debates in 2004. South Carolina is a great place, in my coworker in Boston's opinion, its "f***in awesome." If people can't see that, then my heart bleeds peanut butter. Yeah, the loss of the tournament means a loss of a few million bucks. Which would you rather have, Basketball or Project Pogo? It shouldn't be that hard, folks

/end rant

I know my rants don't make sense, but I had to get it off my chest. Also, what the hell is this doing in the Greenville Events topic? Can we make a "bulls**t" topic so that we don't have this drama in the forums?

Speaking of events, when the city finishes the Expo Center, I'd like to see some conventions come this way, maybe Linux World, or Free Software Foundation, or any of the major and minor conferences that I have to fly to Boston or Atlanta, or elsewhere to attend.

I'll keep mum on my opinions of the NAACP boycot of the state as I know I've shared them in the past.

Also, what the hell is this doing in the Greenville Events topic? Can we make a "bulls**t" topic so that we don't have this drama in the forums?

This isn't the Greenville Events Topic as much as it is the "What Events You'd Like to See in Greenville" topic. This is how the discussion came about: Skyliner reiterated the old idea that Greenville should host things like NCAA Conference Basketball or Opening Round NCAA Basketball Tournaments. The point was raised that the NCAA is avoiding SC due to the NAACP boycot of the state, etc.

Speaking of events, when the city finishes the Expo Center, I'd like to see some conventions come this way, maybe Linux World, or Free Software Foundation, or any of the major and minor conferences that I have to fly to Boston or Atlanta, or elsewhere to attend.

Maybe Linux World will be more likely once Pogo Linux moves to Greenville from Seattle and grows to the point where it becomes the dominant Linux OS Vendor. :ph34r:

I know my rants don't make sense, but I had to get it off my chest. Also, what the hell is this doing in the Greenville Events topic? Can we make a "bulls**t" topic so that we don't have this drama in the forums?

Yes. Its called the Off-topic thread. Also, the main SC section has some threads related to the Confederate flag. If anyone is interested in beating that dead horse, then please search for it there. The debate over that flag is a valid discussion issue in this state, but not here. This thread has gone way too far off course. End of disucssion.

Archived