Eastern Guilford's Growth Boom

Creasy336

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you see the photo from the link that shows new homes being built directly behind a huge warehouse. Now that looks awful and is a sight I would not want to see driving home.

The marriage between Greensboro and Burlington is going to happen wether we like it or not. lets just hope its not a chain of big boxes and cheap motels that connect the two cities.

If they were wise, they would go ahead and put HOV lanes from Greensboro to Durham. That corridor is gonna be as bad as Northern Virginia in twenty five years.

I agree. Its already one of the most heavily travelled corridors in the state. Traffic projections didn't take into account the population boom of the area. Exit 135, Exit 138 (NC 61) and US 70 will be a nightmare if it isn't improved in the near future. Huffman Mill Road, I won't even comment on.

Exactly! I remember hearing about the approval of Brightwood Farm back in 2001 and thinking about that beautiful scenic area of Hwy 70 turning into suburbia. Very sad thought. Even as recent as then, I feel the landscape from Burlington to Stoney Creek has vastly changed. Right before you get into the town of Whitsett, you have the Walnut Farms subdivision and directly across the street, the new Lindley Farms subdivision. Lindley Farms, although it looks seriously out of place, seems like it will be much more upscale than Walnut across the street.

it's pretty sad to drive u.s. 70 from greensboro to burlington and to see all the beautiful rolling hills turning into crappy no-character subdivisions. :(

you see the photo from the link that shows new homes being built directly behind a huge warehouse. Now that looks awful and is a sight I would not want to see driving home.

Actually I have worked out there as a temp in the sales office several times. I hardly noticed the warehouse. I mean I knew it was there-but it really didnt take away from the community any at all. What you have to realize is that these are like bedroom communities of young professionals. There are some kids-but very few that I have seen the days I have worked. The townhomes knock up next to Waterbury (a housing development off Rock Creek Dairy Road). The townhomes are close to being finished, and it has turned out to be one of the nicer done townhome communities that I have ever seen (and the Waterbury part is REALLY nice as well....not cookie cutter homes by far...placed on tiny plots of land).

Yeah well what can ya do. From Gibsonville thru McLeansville... it's all becomming generic

Perhaps along the interstate and 70-but I would hardly call Gibsonville and McLeansville "generic". We are a whole lot more than the subdivisions and expansions that are seen along those routes. Gibsonville is a nice little town, set in the countryside if you will between two larger towns of Burlington and Greensboro. There is a large expanse of land untouched thus far that is off the beaten path that remains pristine and beautiful that is a part of what is known as McLeansville and Gibsonville...Whitsett and Sedalia.

Perhaps along the interstate and 70-but I would hardly call Gibsonville and McLeansville "generic". We are a whole lot more than the subdivisions and expansions that are seen along those routes. Gibsonville is a nice little town, set in the countryside if you will between two larger towns of Burlington and Greensboro. There is a large expanse of land untouched thus far that is off the beaten path that remains pristine and beautiful that is a part of what is known as McLeansville and Gibsonville...Whitsett and Sedalia.

Gibsonville has some very nice things planned for its downtown, including resturants, coffee shops, a park,a dn some retail. Also there is a new subdivision proposed near downtown Gibsonville that will take advantage of it proximity to downtown. Sedalia has alot of potential. The old historic Charlotte Hawkins Brown campus is beautiful and is a true gem.

Gibsonville has some very nice things planned for its downtown, including restaurants, coffee shops, a park,a dn some retail. Also there is a new subdivision proposed near downtown Gibsonville that will take advantage of it proximity to downtown. Sedalia has alot of potential. The old historic Charlotte Hawkins Brown campus is beautiful and is a true gem.

I have ate at both the Post office restaurant and the bed and breakfast for lunch. I recommend both highly. We have shopped in Boone Furniture (which is moving to 70 when their building is finished). I look forward to many of the things that have been suggested by the committee formed to the town council(as they were published in the Creekside Chronicles a few months ago) in order to try to keep it's old charm, while attracting visitors.

Yeah I'm sorry, that is what i meant.. along the interstate and 70. The towns themselves are certainly not generic.

• 2 months later...

The area stretching from Burlington to Greensboro on 70 would be a great project for students/ practitioners of land planning. So much development has popped up, in such a short amount of time, it would be wise to step back and consider future plans. Unfortunately the landscape has taken a toll regarding its scenic value, especially the Brightwood area. There is a lot of history in that stretch, for instance Elvis stopped at the Brightwood Restraunt & Bar and ate diner there, after performing at Williams High School. Whitset and its concenration of Victorian houses, Sedalia and Charlotte Hawkins, etc. This is all pushed to the background for the benefit of cheap cookie cutter development...what a shame.

N & O has a great audio documentary on Brightwood ....worth a quick visit if interested in the area.

Archived