Another pro team in Jax.

Carbo04

How would everyone here feel about another pro team coming to the Jacksonville area? Whether it be NBA, MLB, or NHL. Which do you think has the ebst chance of coming to the area first? Do you think the city would support a ne wsports franchise, and what do you think it would do for the city? Good or bad?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're most likely 15-20 years off from seeing another sport relocate to Jacksonville, but my guess would be the NBA (assuming the Magic get sick of Orlando or something maybe?), or more likely the NHL. Who knows, but it won't be anything anytime soon.

We need to worry about supporting the Jaguars well for the forseeable future, I think. Go Jags.

The study linked in the above post is the best I've seen on sport viability in different cities. It shows just how difficult baseball is to support. Not only should baseball not expand, it should really be contracted from a couple cities. Football is surprisingly easy to support. Most people think it would be difficult because you are trying to fill a 60,000 + seat stadium, but it's only for 10 to 12 games a year, including preseason and the playoffs. With 81 home games you need a very large metro area to support a baseball team, especially with baseballs lack of revenue sharing. Small market teams can't compete. I don't see any new sprots teams coming to a Florida city for a while. I think the Marlins will get a new stadium somewhere in South Florida and stay in the Miami metro. Orlando could support an NFL team, but with Jacksonville and Tampa being so close in both directions any expansion there would be fought by both cities. Orlando could almost support a basball team, but it would be doomed as a small market team, just like the Devils Rays. They would be better off with a AAA team.

Archived