Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

In today's paper. The design process has now started and the Sounds will get the input form the Civic Design Ctr. A good Q and A session from the Tennessean, but the residential and retail not addressed.

Lets get our two cents worth in here. If the Sounds want community input about the design factor of the stadium, lets get the ball rolling here and eventually send it in to the CDC.

So, what do you want to see as far as a design of the new stadium and the features for the development now that it is approved.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../603120343/1003

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Smeagolsfree,

Could you draw up one of those neat diagrams, with the some landmarks, and the streets and stuff, and place the stadium on it with both the possibilities mentioned in the article? With a Demonbruer orientation, and the shelby bridge view orientation... just so we can get a visual of what the 2 options are? Maybe you could post it here... that would be really cool!!

Thaks for going to the trouble of posting the stadium sites. In the article, it is stated that from home plate to the river would be at least 1000 ft, possibly 1500. Based on your drawings, the stadium would be right next to the river, and home runs could be hit into the river. I wonder if they are planning to build the stadium one block farther west than you have drawn?

As far as the stadium orientation goes, I would prefer the first one which is looking towards the Shelby St foot bridge. I would imagine that people sitting along the first base line as well as on the outfield birm would be able to see the downtown area. Also, in that orientation, fewer people would see that eyesore scrap metal plant. Damn, I wish they'd move that hideous thing.

I'm a little surprised that $43 Million dollars only gets you 8,500 permanent seats. Let's see, that works out to about $5,000 per seat. I guess you could call that inflation. They built the 50,000 seat Atlanta Fulton County stadium in 1966 for a measly $16 Million, only about $300 per seat.

I like the retro type ballparks with lots of brick, and intersting angles and such, and I like the group areas which are planned. One things for certain, Nashville will support this team bigtime once this new facility is open. I would be willing to bet that attendence does double over the current 400,000 per season. The fact that Nashville draws that many to Greer speaks volumes to the support the city gives the Sounds.

I thought the dimensions mention the article were odd as well. They have always shown it on the parcel next to the river. There is no way they are going to close 1st. The widest area of the site between 1st and the river is approximately 800ft and the narrowest is 270ft. It really is not a very large site.

I thought the dimensions mention the article were odd as well. They have always shown it on the parcel next to the river. There is no way they are going to close 1st. The widest area of the site between 1st and the river is approximately 800ft and the narrowest is 270ft. It really is not a very large site.

That's what I was thinking. I can't possibly see them closing First Avenue either. Maybe there will be the possibility of people diving in and retrieving home run balls out of the river a la San Francisco.

Friends,

I would like to see the stadium look very old school, with lots of brick and stone.

As to the orientation, what's best for the players -- particularly as it relates to the sun -- is better than what's best for the fans. But a fan view of some of downtown would be sweet.

WW

I think also we need to consider the material that will be used in construction and the other components to the retail portion. I think its important to build character in SoBro, something classy that will fit in and stand the test of time.

I know this group has opinions on that as well as many other things. :lol:

I like style of Soldier Field in Chicago - although a football stadium I think the classic lines seem to be what people in Nashville like. I believe we'll see something more along the lines of Autozone Park in Memphis. I think Nashville will build an unapologetic BASEBALL-inspired stadium.

I like the first placement the best. Only because it looks like it is the only placement that the stadium can be expanded if needed, and I believe that being expandable is important. We can use the stadium to look more attractive for MLB if the opportunity were to ever arrive.

Personally I would rather see the stadium face downtown rather the river. I agree that the stadium should have the old school ball park look with a lot of brick and different angles in the outfield walls, and not some modern looking crap.

I have drawn a stadium in CAD some time ago and I would like to show you guys and just see what y'all think, but it's saying "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed." What do I do to post these pictures.

San Francisco has a river ? :blink:

Hankster was most likely thinking of China Basin. While not a river, it is cut into the city from the bay and therefore gives the appearance of a river. Hankster, you can think me later for making this sound good. LOL

I have drawn a stadium in CAD some time ago and I would like to show you guys and just see what y'all think, but it's saying "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed." What do I do to post these pictures.

I remember reading about this problem before... here's the link to Neo's post:

*ALL* images you post here at UP must end in an extension such as .jpg, .gif or .png. Dynamic images are images that are, for instance, held in a database somewhere and when called it queries that database for the image to display it. This method, when used for posting images with, could cause a security risk and therefore we have disabled the ability to post dynamic images. Please make sure all images posted end with an extension, such as listed above, and you will incur no problems.

You could always just do a screen print of the image and post it that way. alt + prnt-scrn for the window or just prnt-scrn for the whole screen and paste into paint, or use a program to capture just areas of the screen... here's a random one I found: Link

Depending on if the size of the stadium can be modified, it seem that the first option is the best choice because it still allows for the waterfront to be used by the public and maintain the connection between Riverfront Park and Rolling Mill Hill. I also think the axis with Demonbreun is critical. It should have a focal element (i.e. tower, sculpture) with pedestrian access to the river. I wish they would have kept the thermal tower. It could have been reused.

^ I, too, thought why tear down this interestingly neat old stack while they kept old crane bases on the river. Now they're considered art. Imagine incorporating the old stack in the ballpark design - could be nice. If this was possible, then we just imploded the possiblity.

I remember reading about this problem before... here's the link to Neo's post:

You could always just do a screen print of the image and post it that way. alt + prnt-scrn for the window or just prnt-scrn for the whole screen and paste into paint, or use a program to capture just areas of the screen... here's a random one I found: Link

That's what I did, I already assumed that I could not attach a microstation .dgn file. I did a print screen, paste in paint brush and saved as a .jpg that did not work. How does Lexy post so may pictures.

Sorry, I know that I have gotten off the topic a bit, again sorry.

That's what I did, I already assumed that I could not attach a microstation .dgn file. I did a print screen, paste in paint brush and saved as a .jpg that did not work. How does Lexy post so may pictures.

Sorry, I know that I have gotten off the topic a bit, again sorry.

The images have to be hosted somewhere first... How to post images

Archived