Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome, you are almost on to something. Sometimes buildings , convention centers, and stadiums actually make money. SOMETIMES, but most of them are there to facilitate large amounts of cash being spent in or around them that not only facilitate jobs but create more tax revenue for the cities they reside in. It's the tickets, popcorn, room nights,meals and entertainment dollars that generate revenue from the activities that take place inside these facilities. No one actually pays money just to walk inside and see what it looks like. That would be called a museum. (That's actually requires something that you buy a ticket to as well)

Ah yes, the argument that these massively subsidized structures make us money through the multiplier effect. Never mind the fact that most studies have shown that having a pro sports team has no effect on employment or income levels in a city. Let's forget the fact that the convention market is declining, and that cities with recently completed convention centers are missing projections. Let's forge ahead and build.

you simply cannot place a monetary value on everything. a city is a place where people do work, yes. a city is also where people come to live and play. sports facilities provide the play aspect of a city. i'd rather live in a city that i can enjoy instead of a city that just makes money. i'm sure i will get the rebuttal with the "That is your first clue that people have better things to do with their money than go to a ball game. If nashvillians truley wanted to attend games with a passion over all other persuits, then you would have throngs of banks beating the doors down at Sounds headquarters wanting to lend them money to bulid what they forcast to be a hugely profitable stadium" comment. to that i say, well have you been to the facilities at greer? not exactly a place that i want to go see a game at. a new stadium in the middle of an entertainment district would be a lot better draw. the average sports fan doesn't have the cash on hand to support the financing of a stadium. i think we just get caught up in the money aspect of things too much sometimes to really enjoy what this city is capable of. just my 2 cents. ironic that i follow up with a monetary value........

satalac- great points.

el Norteno-- While I disagree with you, I can see your sympathy in your desire to create a venue which would help others. However, a factory creating the first hand-held gadgets for apple, etc. I just don't see that happening (we would see it occur in other places around the city), and on valuable land next to the beautiful river front, it needs to be a tourist attraction that draws people, and needs to be aesthetically attactive to SOBRO. I believe a Sounds stadium fits both. People will come to the games, and eat in the restaurants more so than a factory. I appreciate your ideas, Just don't think it would work.

Many like to deal in "what if" scenarios when it comes to the development of areas in our city. The fact still remains that the property is availablable and so far no one else has stepped up to develop either residintial or commercial in this area. Nashville ranks in the top 10 nationally of convention cities. Competing with cities like Chicago, Orlando, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. tells me that Nashville has a resource that prople want to share and that is why the come here. Why should we not take advantage of the fact that Nashville has been and will continue to be a destination city. The Nashville "brand" of Music City USA has attracted millions of visitors to our city for both vacation and meetings and convention business. While I think it would be great for major corporate headquarters to locate downtown and I hope may do, I think it would be counter productive to take a wait and see approach and not develop an industry that already exits. Most will never understand the funding of the MCC project and that is fine but the City has proven that taxpayers need not bear the burden with the current center as it was paid without a single dime of taxpayer money. Location of the new project is based upon the best possible locale to make it succesful. Those who say the meetings industry in decline are simply uninformed. Since 9-11 the industry has reached new heights and for our company (which does 90% of its business outside of Nashville) we have a record year going in 2008. Many of our competitiors have the same thing going on. There will always be a difference of opinion on these issues so I can only say I hope that those who oppose this project will at least give it a chance to prove itself before you pass judgement on the final tally.

Archived