Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I hope it doesn't look like that. Where did you get that L'burg?

What demographics are you talking about?

I did not get it any were; I designed and drew it on my own in MicroStation (which is a CAD program). I was only sharing my idea with everyone, this is not what is to be built, I am sorry if I was misleading. I am an architect what-a-be, but choose Engineering for my major.

I designed and drew it on my own in MicroStation (which is a CAD program). I was only sharing my idea with everyone, this is not what is to be built, I am sorry if I was misleading. I am an architect what-a-be, but choose Engineering for my major.

OIC... I meant nothing mean by my criticism. Actually for an initial pass at it, it's quite professionally done. That must be your engineering expertise showing. :)

I really like what you've done. It's always wonderful to see something in 3-D. Overall, you've got a pretty good idea in you're head as to what I visualize too. I wish it could look into the Nashville skyline but I guess that isn't an option. Hey, I wonder if you could throw in about four or five midrise condo structures with a retail at street level too. That would be way cool!

• 1 month later...

Tennessean article reporting Sounds/Struever holding public meeting on Sounds design.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...WS0202/60508003

Now is our chance to give input especially since we have the point man for Struever on the forum. I am sure Michael will have an open ear to our opinions, but lets not wear him out. Lets have some good thoughtful input.

Friends,

I would like to see the stadium look very old school, with lots of brick and stone.

As to the orientation, what's best for the players -- particularly as it relates to the sun -- is better than what's best for the fans. But a fan view of some of downtown would be sweet.

WW

William - 1st of all, views into and out of the park are critical in everything we've worked on.

Are you sure you want old school brick? I mean why do what pretty much every other city has done? Why not go for something distinctly Nashville, different than AutoZone Park in Memphis, or Camden Yards, or Fenway. Set the new standard for stadium design. Think outside the box. I am still convinved that this will be the best new AAA park in baseball. Also, think of the implications an old school park would have on the adjacent buildings. An old school brick structure adjacent to a modern highrise. I can't say I know the answer at this point. I'd love to hear why old school though.

We have not even started talking talking about what the shell of any of the buildings will look like. We've just worked on orientation and and massing. There will be plenty of time to discuss the exterior of these buildings.

I think everyone will like what we've put together.

I would though, encourage everyone to get out and walk the site before the presentation. River views are pretty much non-existant. The river is too far below the site to see the river unless you are on top of the hill or right on the railroad tracks. The stadium may also be below grade, so that you walk in at concourse level and go down to the seats (still have not figured this one out, at least we have 2 weeks). That's all the rage in stadium design. Makes for a much better fan experience. We'll see what comes together in the next 2 weeks.

Depending on if the size of the stadium can be modified, it seem that the first option is the best choice because it still allows for the waterfront to be used by the public and maintain the connection between Riverfront Park and Rolling Mill Hill. I also think the axis with Demonbreun is critical. It should have a focal element (i.e. tower, sculpture) with pedestrian access to the river. I wish they would have kept the thermal tower. It could have been reused.

The city wanted the tower to come down. SBER tried to save it.

I feel like this meeting has happen before in the Library months ago. I didnt make it to the last presentation for this project but this time around i'm hoping to see a new rendering of what will a be built there with the condos and retail space included.

This will be a site plan showing where home plate will lie, together with proposed massing of our buildings, options for greenways, public plazas, retail etc. It's not to the point of renderings. We don't know what the outside will look like yet. It's enough to make anyone excited though, as it shows the potential.

Michael, be kind to the riverfront, please. Give us access, give us green, give us safety, and give us a view for when PSC FINALLY moves downstream. And throw in a touch of whimsey to the mix.

Will do. I think/hope you all will be pleased with what we've pulled together. This is absolutely the most challenging site any of us has ever worked on. You can only imagine how bad it is. There are 5 underground ancient storm sewers, DES lines, fiber, huge power easements, and more.

We've assembled an all-star team of folks to work on this and have tested everything time and time again. So much so, that the final site plan was nothing we'd considered over the last 3 years. About a month ago, after testing every option and finding flaws, I asked about an alternate alignment that had not been tested or even discussed.

After a week of testing everything, it turns out that it works. The tweatk is subtle, but it's enough I believe to accomplish everyone's goals.

Oh yeah, the views are incredible. We've used sketch-up to model everything in 3-D so we can see the views from RMH, from a seat on the 4th row in section B, from the east bank or the Xth floor of one of our buildings, or anwhere downtown. It's too cool.

I feel like this meeting has happen before in the Library months ago. I didnt make it to the last presentation for this project but this time around i'm hoping to see a new rendering of what will a be built there with the condos and retail space included.

The big difference between then and now is of course is, its approved. You had all the NIMBYS there then too.

"Sounds" incredible Michael. :blink: I can't wait to see it. Thanks for all your hard work. It must be a wonderful feeling knowing your doing something that will have a huge positive impact on our city. :thumbsup:

It's definately motivation to spend all my waking hours working on this. It's a joy to be involved with such a talented group of individuals. It really will have a tremendous impact on our city, that is, until Phase II and III start....more on those this fall.

William - 1st of all, views into and out of the park are critical in everything we've worked on.

Are you sure you want old school brick? I mean why do what pretty much every other city has done? Why not go for something distinctly Nashville, different than AutoZone Park in Memphis, or Camden Yards, or Fenway. Set the new standard for stadium design. Think outside the box. I am still convinved that this will be the best new AAA park in baseball. Also, think of the implications an old school park would have on the adjacent buildings. An old school brick structure adjacent to a modern highrise. I can't say I know the answer at this point. I'd love to hear why old school though.

Thank you!!

As I noted on an earlier post, my favorite ballpark is in Pittsburgh. The 'retro' look is fine, but it has become the new 'cookie cutter' style of ballpark. I've been to Camden Yards in Baltimore and it is beautiful, but it is being copied to death. Pittsburgh has an honesty about it with all the steel and rock used and the fan favorable seating. I hope the new ballpark is uniquely Nashville. Don't be afraid to put personality in it, even if it means some version of a guitar shaped scoreboard.

And the earlier proposed 'rock monster' in left and center field would be awesome. Using the natural rock outcropping on the south side of the lot to make an outfield wall would be brilliant. Your Fenway reference is encouraging.

I love my baseball and travel around the state to watch minor league ball and around the country to watch major league ball. With the new Sounds Stadium, hopefully I'll have more reasons to stay home.

Ballparks to take a close look at for inspiration include Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Ball parks to avoid include Chicago White Sox and Florida Marlins.

I'd say one of the nicest MLB stadiums to look at for style is Jacob's field in Cleveland. Of course as far as riverfront stadiums go, we can look at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati as an example of how to build on the water.

Jacobs Field (Cleveland, OH)

jacobs815.jpg

jacobs816.jpg

jacobs814.jpg

Great American Ballpark (Cincinnati, OH)

gabmain2.jpg

gab154.jpg

gab275.jpg

Of course our stadium wouldn't be 1/3 of the size of those two, but they are great examples of nice looking downtown ballparks. Personally I would like to see us use brick, especially on the inside of the stadium (such as the backstop) and green always goes well with a baseball stadium. Also, we should have a signature outfield, not just a rounded out field with even dimensions. Perhaps we can put the giant guitar scoreboard in left field (like at Greer) and make left field a little shorter (towards the river). We should make every effort to make this a player friendly and fan friendly ballpark. People like seeing home runs...make left field 310-315' with a 15' wall.

I love ballparks (I guess b/c I love baseball), and I've got praise and problems with all of them. However, I'd agree with you on Jacobs, but I was disappointed by Cincinnati's. I will say that G-A does have among the best in/out access of all the parks I've visited. I just don't like the no-man's land of a highway dividing it from downtown and the fact that the river is virtually obscured from the seats. It's just too busy looking behind the outfield. And that ominous looking blackbox area is just troubling to me. However, it is a HUGE improvement over Riverfront.

BTW: I'm not the biggest fan of Turner Field... I like it somewhere in between Cleveland's and Cincy's.

what, no fans of the Royals stadium? The Royals and Angels are the two most interesting to me, from the inside anyway. I just hope this new stadium won't look junky with all the outfield advertising.

Oh yeah, and we definitely need to keep the Guitar scoreboard, even if we build a new one.

How about an even older "old school" look -- like that of Ebbets Field or Tiger Stadium. I love that double-decker look.

I like the double decker look too, but it's too big/costly for a minor league team. If it is going to have 11-12,000 seats then we need to make sure there are seats in the outfield!

However it looks, I do want to have a clear view from the stands into the river (preferably a view of left field near the scoreboard.

I have a vision about how I would like to see it look, but alas I have no tools to show anyone.

Please! Not brick!! Lets do something new!! Something Different! In terms of views, I don't think ANYTHING out there beats Campbell's Field. It's AMAZING!!!

As for the river, Mr. Hayes, am I correct in understanding that there will be very little to (possibly) no views of the river (due to how low it is)?

Please! Not brick!! Lets do something new!! Something Different! In terms of views, I don't think ANYTHING out there beats Campbell's Field. It's AMAZING!!!

As for the river, Mr. Hayes, am I correct in understanding that there will be very little to (possibly) no views of the river (due to how low it is)?

I'd reccomend going out to the site. Stand there. You'll see that it is in fact too low to see from the site as it exists now.

Our upper deck, and possibly the upper rows of the lower bowl should have river views. Our interactive 3-D model is being updated over the next few days to test final views. I'm very hopeful. There will be great views of the skyline and the bridges.

There also could be great water views from the greenway along the river. We're still not sure where they want to put it. We outlined 5 options for Greenways to consider. We'll see over the next few days what they think.

Archived