Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

I'd reccomend going out to the site. Stand there. You'll see that it is in fact too low to see from the site as it exists now.

Our upper deck, and possibly the upper rows of the lower bowl should have river views. Our interactive 3-D model is being updated over the next few days to test final views. I'm very hopeful. There will be great views of the skyline and the bridges.

There also could be great water views from the greenway along the river. We're still not sure where they want to put it. We outlined 5 options for Greenways to consider. We'll see over the next few days what they think.

^^

They could perhaps build the stands up at a higher degree (like 35 degrees) so that some of the higher up rows would be able to have a view of the river. The thing is over 600' wide at that point...I'm sure it wouldn't be too too hard to catch a glimpse of.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my main interest, Michael, not so much the views while the game is going on, but the interaction with the area before and after the game, especially the riverfront greenways. I'd like to see the stadium site connect with an extended greenway all the way up past Rolling Mill Hill which would probably mean burrowing a pedestrian tunnel under Gateway to access a series of pathways and overlooks to the pinnacle of RMH. This may be tricky considering the craggy bluffs, but also, would present an incredible opportunity to have something really unique to provide huge views of downtown and beyond.

As far as the stadium design in concerned, I have nothing against brick. It's a historical area and brick would blend well. But, something cutting edge and contemporary might be the ticket to provide an interesting mix and add a certain wow factor by the very nature of its contrast to the surrounding buildings. A 21st Century stadium next to a 100-year old bridge seems fitting. Look at the interesting placement of Viridian next to the Cohen. These contrasts provide a very interesting look when considering the broad context of the area's current buildings and what we'll be seeing down the road. Mr. Struever could probably mix the styles on his development as well. I can't see that building everything to match on that site is desirable, or even planned. I'd like to see a carefully designed set of complementary strutures, each with its own unique personality, but enhancing the whole to provide a much more visual worthy overall development.

The essence of Nashville is represented well as a city with a 200+ year history, but with its eye and course set on the future. Our structures and built environment have the opportunity to express that to us and to the world. It makes for an interesting challenge, but the postive effects of going that extra design mile can't be underestimated.

William - 1st of all, views into and out of the park are critical in everything we've worked on.

Are you sure you want old school brick? I mean why do what pretty much every other city has done? Why not go for something distinctly Nashville, different than AutoZone Park in Memphis, or Camden Yards, or Fenway. Set the new standard for stadium design. Think outside the box. I am still convinved that this will be the best new AAA park in baseball. Also, think of the implications an old school park would have on the adjacent buildings. An old school brick structure adjacent to a modern highrise. I can't say I know the answer at this point. I'd love to hear why old school though.

My favorite stadium is also in Pittsburgh with all the steel and brick. I hope that by what you're saying different look that you

I'd reccomend going out to the site. Stand there. You'll see that it is in fact too low to see from the site as it exists now.

Our upper deck, and possibly the upper rows of the lower bowl should have river views. Our interactive 3-D model is being updated over the next few days to test final views. I'm very hopeful. There will be great views of the skyline and the bridges.

There also could be great water views from the greenway along the river. We're still not sure where they want to put it. We outlined 5 options for Greenways to consider. We'll see over the next few days what they think.

Thanks so much for the reply! Can't wait to see the Greenways up for consideration!!! In my opinion, the greenways will have the ability to really make or break the whole thing! And I am sure it will be spectacular and be a real feature in the overall design!!!

Can't wait to see it all come together!! The greenway, stadium, condo's, greenway, river, downtown views, greenway.. hehehehe...

Dave, LOVED LOVED LOVED you'r idea!!! Hopefully it will be as grand as you envisioned!!

So we want to have the first baseball facility in the world where the most expensive seats are in the upper deck so we can view... the river? I'm all for a great view too (In fact, I would have loved to see the Coliseum take an East-West Orientation so that one end opened up to the river), but fact is, people will be there primarily to see a game or event. I want the best seating in all of AAA baseball.

For those of you who are brick-haters out there, are you saying the painted stone outside of Greer is what you want? I bet 30 years ago that was all the rage. Brick is safe. I don't think there's ever been a time when brick was out of style. Hey, let's just stucco the stadium!

Upper deck!? Very interesting. That would make it unique among minor league ballparks.

As for the pitch (or slope) of the upper deck, one of the reasons I listed White Sox park as a bad example was because of the steepness of its upper deck. I felt like I needed mountain climbing gear, an oxygen bottle and a Sherpa guide to reach my seats in Chicago. It was rough on this old body.

However, I understand that a steep upper deck moves fans closer to the action and reduces the size of the footprint of the stadium, which I imagine is critical to your development plans.

So, if you build it, I will come anyway!

I'm very excited about the fact that there will great views of the downtown skyline. Earlier we were led to believe that there would be no skyline views.

I'm also excited about the greenway along the river. There are so many great opportunities there. I really like what Dave suggested in tieing the greenway all the way up to the pinnacle of Rolling Mill Hill. That would add so much to the waterfront, and would make the properties in Rolling Mill Hill even more desirable. Being from Chattanooga where a very successful and inspiring waterfront project has recently been completed, I recognize the immense value to a city that developing the waterfront to it's fullest brings. Please, please focus and spare no expense on that part of the project . It will be money well spent!

That's my main interest, Michael, not so much the views while the game is going on, but the interaction with the area before and after the game, especially the riverfront greenways. I'd like to see the stadium site connect with an extended greenway all the way up past Rolling Mill Hill which would probably mean burrowing a pedestrian tunnel under Gateway to access a series of pathways and overlooks to the pinnacle of RMH. This may be tricky considering the craggy bluffs, but also, would present an incredible opportunity to have something really unique to provide huge views of downtown and beyond.

As far as the stadium design in concerned, I have nothing against brick. It's a historical area and brick would blend well. But, something cutting edge and contemporary might be the ticket to provide an interesting mix and add a certain wow factor by the very nature of its contrast to the surrounding buildings. A 21st Century stadium next to a 100-year old bridge seems fitting. Look at the interesting placement of Viridian next to the Cohen. These contrasts provide a very interesting look when considering the broad context of the area's current buildings and what we'll be seeing down the road. Mr. Struever could probably mix the styles on his development as well. I can't see that building everything to match on that site is desirable, or even planned. I'd like to see a carefully designed set of complementary strutures, each with its own unique personality, but enhancing the whole to provide a much more visual worthy overall development.

The essence of Nashville is represented well as a city with a 200+ year history, but with its eye and course set on the future. Our structures and built environment have the opportunity to express that to us and to the world. It makes for an interesting challenge, but the postive effects of going that extra design mile can't be underestimated.

We're trying to do exactly this with the Greenways (MDHA has removed the pinacle from RMH though, the top is now flat). Met with Greenways today and they liked the idea. I think you hit the nail on the head for design too. We're not at that point yet, but that's been a major part of the discussion.

Where does Demonbreun end right now? Would this area as proposed by SBE&R be open to auto traffic or closed off?

Demonbreun ends at 1st Ave now. We'll bring it through the site to a terminous at the rail line which is on the bluff's edge above the river. As to open or closed, not sure at this time. At least some of it would be open to bring cars into the residential parking garages. There would also be a plaza at the end of Demonbreun. Some of it could be open for vehicular traffic, some of it will be pedistrian only.

Demonbreun ends at 1st Ave now. We'll bring it through the site to a terminous at the rail line which is on the bluff's edge above the river. As to open or closed, not sure at this time. At least some of it would be open to bring cars into the residential parking garages. There would also be a plaza at the end of Demonbreun. Some of it could be open for vehicular traffic, some of it will be pedistrian only.

That "Sounds" fantastic! Blah ha ha...no, seriously, ha, I'm sorry:

That really does sound nice. I cannot wait to see some renderings. In my view, the more pedestrian the better...Nashville really has no sizable public space with "active edges," enabling one to sit outside, drink a beer or a glass of wine, enjoy the temperate evening climate of Middle Tennessee. I don't think the new Public Square will be providing this (dead edges, I'm afraid), so a hardscaped plaza for eating, drinking, and meeting, at the end of Demonbreun's civic axis, hugged by living buildings but opening out onto the Cumberland River, sounds wonderful. Great!

Question: how exactly will one address those railroad tracks?

I found a great website to stir up the thinking processes. Check this out. I'm particularly impressed with Providence, R.I. actually, I saw their River Walk Place on the tv series Providence and was impressed then, even down to the cool jazzy tunes creating a pleasant, but unobstrusive ambience.

Explore this site, it's full of great ideas for great public spaces. These can be inspirational for us all when thinking not only about the riverfront and stadium, but anytime input is asked for.

http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one...lic_place_id=86

Sorry guys, I seem to always get my article posted in the wrong places but are fixed now.

Just thought I would add a little more info for everyone.

The next three links, one form the Sounds and the other two are from contractor's that will be working on the project. The turner Universal site is very good.

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/news/news.asp?newsId=1858

http://www.turnerconstruction.com/

http://www.donhardingroup.com/

Where does Demonbreun end right now? Would this area as proposed by SBE&R be open to auto traffic or closed off?

I'll speculate this is more for creating astethics, storefronts. Demonbreun ends at First Ave. currently. I don't think one could drive far on an extension, maybe to parking?? But miss the turn at the end of the street and you'd get a little wet though...

I got to attend the first 20 minutes of the meeting, so I will let others who sat throught the entire meeting speak to some of the details, but I will fill you in on the ball park (which is my primary interest)

• Home plate will be in the southwest corner; This will allow a view of downtown and the Shelby Street Bridge from the first base side.

• The field will be well below street level. Thus, there will be no 'wall' facing East Nashville.

• A few unique features will be built in. The outfield wall will have an irregular layout and not be perfectly circular. There will apparently be an old fashion double decker section out in left field with the roof columns to obstruct your view. Just like old Sulpher Dell ballpark.

There will be a lot of open space and street level retail, and restaurants which will have great views of the field. Some low condos will be built on the west side and a 15 +/- storey condo (at least as shown on the rendering) will be built on the Gateway Blvd side.

It seems to have a lot of the character and feel of the Pittsbugh Pirates ballpark, which is my favorite.

In my opinion, the developers hit a homerun.

There will apparently be an old fashion double decker section out in left field with the roof columns to obstruct your view. Just like old Sulpher Dell ballpark.

I don't remember hearing anything about roof columns and obstructed views, but I could be wrong. That seems like more of a design consideration, when this was more focused on planning.

Anyway, the 5-6 story condos along the left field fence/wall were the most exciting part to me. Being able to catch a game from your living room would be quite a treat. Also, the Demonbruen plaza area is going to be great if we get the right tenants in there.

The only part I'm not crazy about right now is the +/- 20 story tower up by the Gateway bridge. It seems like something like that would almost completely block the views from RMH, but I'm sure all of that was taken into consideration.

Overall, they get a big thumbs-up from me.

Sounds good but I know where I won't be sitting at the games.

Thanks for the report, PHofKS.

I didn't mean to dis the outfield seating concept. My post probably made it sound worse than I believe it will be. I think it is a wonderful idea, actually, and it should be a very popular section. You can still see the field, if you happen to be behind a column. You'll just have to lean over if any action takes place in that blind spot.

Archived