Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, David Briley will keep his mouth shut until a problem is revealed and then say that it's the reason he was against the proposal. That guy's a weasel. But he has a friend at the Tennessean.

The only Democrat the Tennessean has ever criticized was Bill Boner. The only Republican they haven't criticized is... <_<

There was a story about the road and the controversy on channel 2 last night which said there is way too much being made of the controversy. Michael Hayes was interviewed as well. From what I saw, I think we can relax in the knowledge this thing is not in jeopardy and will move forward 100%.

Mmm, I've seen his wife, and she's not in her 20's...more likely in her 40's. He's just greasy and slimey that I try not to go near him, if girls have him for US Government, it's a well-known fact around Franklin that if you wear a low cut shirt you'll do better on a test. He also has a bad habit of going around and 'reading' what their shirts say.

But back to the Sounds....When do we think they'll release a design for it?

Mmm, I've seen his wife, and she's not in her 20's...more likely in her 40's. He's just greasy and slimey that I try not to go near him, if girls have him for US Government, it's a well-known fact around Franklin that if you wear a low cut shirt you'll do better on a test. He also has a bad habit of going around and 'reading' what their shirts say.

*sigh* That's our Bill. :rolleyes:

Sounds like another Bill too.

Rambling musings and questions...

Did the SBER team get to extend Demonbreun across First and into the site where they want to put the Condos and Hotel. What's the hotel brand? From the preliminary plans, it looked like a midsize, limited service hotel (a'la Hampton). So with Courtyard and Hampton both already DT, who would the possibilities be?

Michael (Hayes) may be able to give us information now about any contingencies wrt the new convention center. What's the timetable for the new CC and how would that impact the SBER timeline for the Sounds ballpark (if at all)?

Sounds like another Bill too.

Rambling musings and questions...

Did the SBER team get to extend Demonbreun across First and into the site where they want to put the Condos and Hotel. What's the hotel brand? From the preliminary plans, it looked like a midsize, limited service hotel (a'la Hampton). So with Courtyard and Hampton both already DT, who would the possibilities be?

Michael (Hayes) may be able to give us information now about any contingencies wrt the new convention center. What's the timetable for the new CC and how would that impact the SBER timeline for the Sounds ballpark (if at all)?

Demonbreun should be extened. No problems there.

The hotel is not contingent on the CC. It's not geared toward CC travelers at all.

CC does not impact timeline for the 1st Phase of Development.

Not ready to announce the flag at this time.

thanks for the update. I will be waiting to see how this shakes out and I hope it can call work out. I for one hate the intersection there at the bridge, but I haven't been since they opened the extension of the road, and now it makes more sense (at least conceptually for me)...

It does seem like a stretch for this to be completed on time...is this another delay that could cause another season to be spent at Greer?

• 1 month later...

I just read this and was ready to post. I find it so hard to believe that they're still having trouble lining up the $23M... especially with the $20M TIF already in pocket. SBER is reputable, Sounds have been around for 30 years, plus it's got to be good PR for a bank (BTW: I thought it was First TN) even if it's not the greatest of returns... Still I believe it would be a moneymaker. So what's the problem? Is this typical? It sure has taken a long time to get this far. In the grand scheme of huge projects, $23M is not a big sum. Would someone enlighten me on the risks here? Is it b/c the Sounds cannot collateralize the property the park would sit on?

"one big neighborhood by the river"

I like it. Who knows what this means. There's obviously lots more money to be made by utilizing the land in a mixed use concept without the stadium, and quite frankly, the idea is more appealing to me.

$23 million is nothing; there's more to this than being discussed I have a feeling. Personally, I think the stadium would be a nice addition to the future parkland across the river, next to the new convention center, adjoining the new neighborhood, retail and lodging. A Rolling Mill extension and connection to all of SoBro would get my vote. They might get this right yet.

"one big neighborhood by the river"

I like it. Who knows what this means. There's obviously lots more money to be made by utilizing the land in a mixed use concept without the stadium, and quite frankly, the idea is more appealing to me.

$23 million is nothing; there's more to this than being discussed I have a feeling. Personally, I think the stadium would be a nice addition to the future parkland across the river, next to the new convention center, adjoining the new neighborhood, retail and lodging. A Rolling Mill extension and connection to all of SoBro would get my vote. They might get this right yet.

My idea was more of a cross between my thoughts that something is going on we don't know about and how, in a different timing scheme, things might be different. By all means, I do expect the stadium/site project to go as planned. I don't know the reasoning for all the press on the financing package except to do what the media do, stir people up.

What I was saying is that IF the stadium was, and had not been, part of the original plan and IF all this was to happen years down the road instead of now, RMH, SoBro, Rutledge, Gulch, etc. would develop merrily along as "one big neighborhood." It would become full of people, lodging, shopping and such. THEN, if we needed a new ball stadium, if would fit nicely next to the new convention center and neighborhood across the river from downtown. One busy center city on one AAA ballpark does not and should not rely. The visitors are so temporary.

I'm certainly not against the plan as stands, but in a different time and place, this could translated differently and might have been all the better for it. Our challenge now, is to define the spaces as now planned, and build from there. I'm confident that busy city center we all want will happen with either scenario.

It's like the commercial where the girl-child screams, "but, Daddy, I wanted the BLUE one." The red one's fine with me, too.

Archived