Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand the plan... The 15 story building will be 190 ft. tall and it will be next to the Shelby Street bridge (i'm guessing) across First Street from the new Market Street Apartments (they sit across 2nd Av. from the new BBS tower).

There will be a 6 story building (hotel?) next to it between the tower and the ballpark. It will have a 4th floor passageway from the adjacent tower (at bridge level?) that will extend to the ballpark. It will have a plaza b/n it and the BP that will have access to the Riverfront greenway.

A second condo tower of 170 ft. tall will rise on the opposite side of the ballpark (along first base line?) at the foot of the Gateway bridge.

It "sounds" like a lot of great infill to add yet more density to DT south of Broad. With Rolling Mill right across Gateway, that whole area will be buzzing with activity like a city should be.

For some reason I can't download the rendering of the plan.

As I understand the plan... The 15 story building will be 190 ft. tall and it will be next to the Shelby Street bridge (i'm guessing) across First Street from the new Market Street Apartments (they sit across 2nd Av. from the new BBS tower).

There will be a 6 story building (hotel?) next to it between the tower and the ballpark. It will have a 4th floor passageway from the adjacent tower (at bridge level?) that will extend to the ballpark. It will have a plaza b/n it and the BP that will have access to the Riverfront greenway.

A second condo tower of 170 ft. tall will rise on the opposite side of the ballpark (along first base line?) at the foot of the Gateway bridge.

Wow, that 'Sounds' great to me. I hope it has enough commercial on the first floor, because if so, then this will be awesome. I also think it will address the concerns that go along with sports facilities in DT because it has so much residential and commercial it'll be buzzing all day and night...I also think the office is a great extension of DT and if it has large enough floorplates then it'll maybe help take office space back from Cool Springs.

I'm pretty sure the 1st condo tower by the shelby bridge got scrapped in favor of a 2nd hotel with some office space. The 15 story condo building is gonna be by Gateway Bridge. I'm pretty disappointed, b/c the Shelby Bridge tower woulda been the perfect place for me to buy imo if I ever return to live in Nashville.

I hadn't heard anything about retail/restaurant either. Hopefully there will be a sit-down restaurant either in the stadium or with a view of the field. Heck, I'd even like other restaurants (it could tie into the river pretty well). Retail could serve special events, hotel guests, tourists, and baseball fans. I'd hope that they would consider alot of those options on the first floors of the buildings or even embeded into what otherwise would be the "dead" walls of the future stadium.

Someone misquoted the article.

The correct quote is:

Another building with a 140-room hotel wrapped around a parking garage.

Struever Bros. frequently uses this design element. I think it shows how ingenious practicality can be.

Check out the website sometime. www.sber.com

It was approved.

I happen to take the opposite view as most here. With more than a year to put this deal together, I don't think they should have gotten this extension. Sure, it's a big deal, and there's no doubt a question of liability on some elements of cleanup. Also (as I've said on this forum many times before) I believe it's an exciting project for NSH downtown.

But I get extremely nervous and even suspicious when the government gives special dispensation to a developer (exclusive all other potential bidders) and that developer does not respond forthwith with development. In short, what the hell has taken SBER so long? I simply don't think they've explained in a thorough (or even honest manner). So on principle, I'd have to vote against the extension. Good thing for the Sounds I'm not on the Metro Council. :)

It's very strange that I recall reading they had First Tennessee's commitment way back (at least a year ago). I thought they had "naming rights" and were the "lead" lender in the coalition (quotes used b/c I really don't know what's involved in these terms). Anyhoo... this project may be in more trouble than anybody's letting on.

At my seasoned age of 36, I've learned that when developers have no news then it's usually bad news. Think about it... these are people who jump at any opportunity to announce a steak house has signed a lease in their lobby. On the flip side, their silence can be deafening.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=53683

Archived