Sounds Stadium design now starting

smeagolsfree

I don't remember hearing anything about roof columns and obstructed views, but I could be wrong. That seems like more of a design consideration, when this was more focused on planning.

Overall, they get a big thumbs-up from me.

One view they presented, distinctly showed what I was talking about, regarding the outfield stands. I picked up on that immediately when it popped up on the screen, and examined it closely to be sure I was looking at what I thought I was looking at. Now, that may be just a quirk in the cadd drawing, but nevertheless, I distinctly saw the two level deck with a big roof supported by columns. As I said before, I think it would be a unique and wonderful feature if indeed they are looking at doing that.

You may be right. It's too early to delve too deep into design details. But, I still hope thay add that feature to the plan. Can't wait to see what the final design looks like.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a bit of media there. Hopefully, they took good notes. I liked what I saw, I appreciated the stated attention to multi-leveled, multi-tiered interests and view corridors. This will be exciting to say the least. Most concerns were addressed well.

I was bit concerned at first about the tower at Gateway until I realized that an attempt will be made to extend the street grid beyond 4th and connect the development with Rolling Mill, but from the street and burrowing the greenway under the Bridge. This will go a long way in connecting a greatly expanded downtown.

I loved it, had to leave, but got to stay for most everything except the last few questions.

Hmmmmmm, after seeing the renderings I'm going to have to reserve judgement. Is it me or does the taller tower seem to crowed the Gateway bridge? I'm not knocking anything, just can't wait to see more detail.

I'll let Michael speak for himself when he has a chance, but he did mention that perhaps the tower could take some design cues from the Gateway bridge so that it complements, rather than competes, with the bridge.

Also, he mentioned a desire that the boulevard be modified to slow traffic coming off the 6-lane (or is it just 4?) bridge to make it more pedestrian friendly around the development and to make it feel more like the neighborhood that it's intended to be.

Unable to attend but a big thanks to all who went and posted the results. The renderings look nice. I was glad the are allowing the field to be below grade to allow for no 'wall'. I also like the sound of some older ballpark elements being added. The tower along Gateway does look as if it is 'looming' over so I will have to reserve judgement. I do agree with Michael that the traffic must be slowed coming from th eGateway bridge of the two developments (Ballpark and Rolling Mill) will not feel connected because the intersetion is hard to travese now and it will only become more so.

I was at the meeting too. I like the plan and honestly don't have any complaints about it, as long as views from Rolling Mill Hill and Rutledge Hill are preserved. I especially like the greenway extension, the way the buildings on 1st Ave and Demonbreun address the street, and the tower by Gateway Blvd. One difference I notice: The renderings posted on the Tennessean site are different from the ones shown at the meeting, which showed [only in massing] what Gateway Blvd would look like lined with tall buildings. The impression I got from the developer is that tall buildings along Gateway are quite possible.

Tennessean.com has some nice renderings out...

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi...axH=390&title=1

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi...axH=390&title=1

I love the idea of condos right next to the ballpark! w/the buildings ajacent to the ballpark and the riverfront view it sort of reminds me of a combination of Jacobs field, Camden Yards, and Great American Ballpark.

complete story:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/60519011

One thing everyone should remember. These are not renderings, but only models to test site corridors, massing, traffic flow, shadows, pedestrian flow, stadium views and other such things. The buildings have not been designed yet, so we really know what they will look like until they go through that phase.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone feels to need to critique the clip art.

I'll let Michael speak for himself when he has a chance, but he did mention that perhaps the tower could take some design cues from the Gateway bridge so that it complements, rather than competes, with the bridge.

Also, he mentioned a desire that the boulevard be modified to slow traffic coming off the 6-lane (or is it just 4?) bridge to make it more pedestrian friendly around the development and to make it feel more like the neighborhood that it's intended to be.

That's correct regarding the tower. It shoud complement the bridge. Modern, sleek with some curved lines.

The road at that point is actually 7 lanes. 4 west bound, 3 east bound. It's huge. We'd love to see it drop to 4-5 lanes to slow the cars down and reintegrate this part of downtown back into the street grid.

One thing everyone should remember. These are not renderings, but only models to test site corridors, massing, traffic flow, shadows, pedestrian flow, stadium views and other such things. The buildings have not been designed yet, so we really know what they will look like until they go through that phase.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone feels to need to critique the clip art.

That's right. We have only barely discussed design. The current thinking is that the gateway building will take cues from the modern gateway bridge and that the demonbreun buildings will take cues from broadway and the shelby st bridge.

We'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on what these should look like.

Unable to attend but a big thanks to all who went and posted the results. The renderings look nice. I was glad the are allowing the field to be below grade to allow for no 'wall'. I also like the sound of some older ballpark elements being added. The tower along Gateway does look as if it is 'looming' over so I will have to reserve judgement. I do agree with Michael that the traffic must be slowed coming from th eGateway bridge of the two developments (Ballpark and Rolling Mill) will not feel connected because the intersetion is hard to travese now and it will only become more so.

We absolutely have to have this connectivity between the ballpark site and RMH. The distance between the Greenway and 1st Ave is just too great. The road needs to be broken down into smaller blcok segments. Hopefully the city will give us a curb cut, traffic light, pedistrian crosswalk and on street parking.

I was at the meeting too. I like the plan and honestly don't have any complaints about it, as long as views from Rolling Mill Hill and Rutledge Hill are preserved. I especially like the greenway extension, the way the buildings on 1st Ave and Demonbreun address the street, and the tower by Gateway Blvd. One difference I notice: The renderings posted on the Tennessean site are different from the ones shown at the meeting, which showed [only in massing] what Gateway Blvd would look like lined with tall buildings. The impression I got from the developer is that tall buildings along Gateway are quite possible.

Gateway Blvd allows for unlimited height west of 1st Ave, much like the core, except buildings must step back 30' above 100' before going up. In some initial massing studies we did for the neighborhood for comparative sake, we found it possible, using the unlimited F.A.R. allowed by zoning for residential, to build buildings in the 60-70 story range. I can't say I see it happening. I'd really guess more like 15-30 floors.

Views from RMH and Rutledge Hill were critical to our tower placement as we are developing sites up on the Hill. We've built a 3-D Model of all of the downtown buildings, with topography included. We can use this to spin around and check view sheds. The images you saw today were selected shots from that 3-D model. Hopefully next time it will have Sig T in it to give some perspective.

There were several that were concerned over the height of the bridge as Channel 5 reported. I haven't decided yet. I have full confidence that they will come up with a plan that will work for the majority. Great job so far. Just looking forward to seeing it up and running.

Michael, from an audience member perspective, you made a really good, glitch free presentation. Definately worth the trip in from work. Good job.

I'm glad you're adamant on the RHM/Ballpark connectivity. This is certainly to be challenging, but I see that in order for the bus barn neighborhood (a true connective fiber to the whole thing) to be what I envision it to be, this enhancement to the entire puzzle would be worth its weight in gold. I can see the bus barns mirroring what you want to do off park corridor with the restaurants, but adding shops, even small affordable office space so people with dreams can set up shop in this extremely eclectic area just north of the Hill. Doesn't matter whether they're making cookies, pottery, doing tax accounting, selling clothing, meat, flowers, or any number of things, this bus barn plan really needs to accomodate the funky, the entrepreneurial young spirit that this city thrives on. I hope this being considered. There should be places accessed from the greenway such as small cafes (with incredible views and ambience). Let's not forget the funk. Funk costs less, but adds a helluva lot of charm. Let's not sterilize this invaluable resource. Oh yeah, LOTS of trees, plants, flowers, and funky art.

Wow, I got a little carried away here. I'm really excited about this.

Very nice orientation. That is what I was hoping for was the right field wall out by the riverbank. Perfect setting IMO! The overall design is very nice and almost community like.

Interesting to note is that a local firm (well a firm with a office downtown) is doing some design work for them, Kansas City based HOK. They did both the GEC and the Coliseum.

Very nice orientation. That is what I was hoping for was the right field wall out by the riverbank. Perfect setting IMO! The overall design is very nice and almost community like.

Interesting to note is that a local firm (well a firm with a office downtown) is doing some design work for them, Kansas City based HOK. They did both the GEC and the Coliseum.

Locally, Hastings Architecture Associates has really been cranking out the work for our team. It took hundreds of hours and many late nights to complete the study. There is so much more that we did not have time to show. Particullarly the neighborhood and view study's to try and understand both existing conditions and what the future may hold. Hastings has really done a top notch job in helping us figure this all out. We probably worked with at least 12-14 different local architects at HAA on this plan. Their participation has been invaluable. Additionally, the local LRK office has helped, as well as Hawkins Partners on the landscape architecture side. We've also reached out to others in the design community locally. Their input and help in the debate shaping this has been invaluable. TK, Kate and the staff at the Civic Design Center have also been a tremendous asset. Dave K at MDHA and the MDHA staff have also been great to work with. Planning and the greenways departments have also been huge resources, and have challenged us to really question everything to get it right. I am thrilled that so many local stakeholders have had a hand at shaping this plan. We are also happy to hear that many folks are happy with the progress being made, and we look forward to receiving more feedback on where we are to date.

Locally, Hastings Architecture Associates has really been cranking out the work for our team. It took hundreds of hours and many late nights to complete the study. There is so much more that we did not have time to show. Particullarly the neighborhood and view study's to try and understand both existing conditions and what the future may hold. Hastings has really done a top notch job in helping us figure this all out. We probably worked with at least 12-14 different local architects at HAA on this plan. Their participation has been invaluable. Additionally, the local LRK office has helped, as well as Hawkins Partners on the landscape architecture side. We've also reached out to others in the design community locally. Their input and help in the debate shaping this has been invaluable. TK, Kate and the staff at the Civic Design Center have also been a tremendous asset. Dave K at MDHA and the MDHA staff have also been great to work with. Planning and the greenways departments have also been huge resources, and have challenged us to really question everything to get it right. I am thrilled that so many local stakeholders have had a hand at shaping this plan. We are also happy to hear that many folks are happy with the progress being made, and we look forward to receiving more feedback on where we are to date.

Thanks for the insight into many of the painstaking hours of work you guys put into this on a daily basis. It is really a miracle to get so many talented and energetic firms together for one common goal. My hat's off to you and all the others on the team Michael. Thank you.

I noticed how the article mentions a rock wall being cut out of a hill on the outfield area of the ballpark. I'm interested to see how this will look. Will the rock wall be the actual outfield wall? I can see the center fielder going for a deep fly and slicing himself up on a jagged rock bluff. On the other hand, it could make for an interesting play if the outfielder climbed the rocks to make a catch. :yahoo: I can see it on sportscenter top 10 now, "rockclimber robs homerun." :rofl:

Gateway Blvd allows for unlimited height west of 1st Ave, much like the core, except buildings must step back 30' above 100' before going up. In some initial massing studies we did for the neighborhood for comparative sake, we found it possible, using the unlimited F.A.R. allowed by zoning for residential, to build buildings in the 60-70 story range. I can't say I see it happening. I'd really guess more like 15-30 floors.

Views from RMH and Rutledge Hill were critical to our tower placement as we are developing sites up on the Hill. We've built a 3-D Model of all of the downtown buildings, with topography included. We can use this to spin around and check view sheds. The images you saw today were selected shots from that 3-D model. Hopefully next time it will have Sig T in it to give some perspective.

HayesMW, top-notch work! I cannot tell you how fantastic I think it is that both Rolling Mill Hill and the Sounds Project are being developed by the same interests. The design synergy has so much potential, and it sounds like you are all making the most of it.

Regarding the hopefully-pedestrain restaurant-loaded Demonbreun Street extension, I believe there is a relatively comparable scheme currently under construction in downtown Savannah, Georgia. A plaza is being designed as part of the gigantic Ellis Square redevelopment project, and it will serve three primary purposes: it will be a palm-lined throughway corridor for pedestrians, an atmospheric plaza for caf

WOW!!! Impressive.

I was in STL when they announced plans for 'Ballpark Village' and I thought they were nuts. When they released designs, I thought they were still nuts. Nuts' people are building their dreams now...

But after seeing the Sounds' proposal makes me understand where they were going with 'Ballpark Village'. Too bad it will not be like the Sounds project. I'm shocked. I never dreamed this project would have this big of an impact

• 3 months later...

The road at that point is actually 7 lanes. 4 west bound, 3 east bound. It's huge. We'd love to see it drop to 4-5 lanes to slow the cars down and reintegrate this part of downtown back into the street grid.

That's ridiculous. A 7-lane road is just as "integrated" into the street grid as a 5-lane road. Any re-design that causes cars to slow down is just going to piss people off, and result in gridlock. You should be looking for ways to widen the other roads to 7 lanes if you're worried about continuity - but really, it's a waste of time to worry about that.

Archived