Grand Rapids Then and Now

6th Gen local

Considering the discussion here, found this to be a timely MLive article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/12/see_more_than_100_historical_p.html#incart_river_default

Just want to draw attention to this one from the MLive gallery:

262731_10100385950503915_2047269383_n.jp

(Circle added)

It's surprising that tiny triangle on Ionia/Louis used to fit a pretty sizable building.  Well it's a good thing we traded it for an extra 40 parking spaces! :whistling:

The odd thing about that building is that they actually converted it into a parking structure (and at some point tore it down). The Hinman Company owns that lot and has floated around plans for a pretty tall building on that lot. But I think a major tenant would have to approach them to make that happen.

Joe

The odd thing about that building is that they actually converted it into a parking structure (and at some point tore it down). The Hinman Company owns that lot and has floated around plans for a pretty tall building on that lot. But I think a major tenant would have to approach them to make that happen.

Joe

I would love to see an 8 story + building on that lot.

Heres a video of yester year

• Like 1

Nice find. You can see the Subway (was Wendy's before that) and the odd narrow shaped structure at the backside of the building. This is the part that looked to be 5-7 stories tall. 

Joe

Thats it, I was thinking it was taller, maybe from the back? 

Considering the discussion here, found this to be a timely MLive article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/12/see_more_than_100_historical_p.html#incart_river_default

Just want to draw attention to this one from the MLive gallery:

It's surprising that tiny triangle on Ionia/Louis used to fit a pretty sizable building.  Well it's a good thing we traded it for an extra 40 parking spaces! :whistling:

would love to seething similar rebuilt on that site, its a shame thats not still there

Sorry if this opens old wounds, but if you scroll down there is a proposal for 206 Ionia that iv never seen???

Did you mean the one labled 204 Ionia?  That rendering is actually 240 Ionia.  We have a thread here about it. http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/19010-240-ionia-new-development

That lot is now proposed as a third apartment building by Brookstone Capital (Karl Chew).  I doubt that the new apartment building will end up looking like 240 Ionia.  Though I think it would be nice if it did.

• 2 weeks later...

didnt feel like starting a new topic. Big move into bridgewater place

edit: after i made this post, a new thread was started on it. sorry

I think this will be the first company to move into those floors since DTE moved Michcon out of there in 2000.  I have checked periodically over the years and they have always been vacant on McKinley's website.

Edited by andrew.w

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting- I walked by Olive's the other day and wondered what the facade used to look like. At some point somebody put nasty faux rock on that building. Olive's has done an ok job making it look respectable, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as this picture. 

Joe

Then:

http://www.historygrandrapids.org/photo/1219/womens-welsh-for-governor-club

What a great old facade Olive's used to have.  And you could rent bikes for $0.25/hr!  Fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting- I walked by Olive's the other day and wondered what the facade used to look like. At some point somebody put nasty faux rock on that building. Olive's has done an ok job making it look respectable, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as this picture. 

Joe

Apparently sometime between fotoman’s 1936 photo and this 1949 photo the faux rock façade was added:

http://grpl.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15416coll4/id/300/rv/singleitem/rec/349

The business to the left in the link, Buth’s Dairy Bar, later moved around the corner and morphed into Jersey Junction. I can remember sitting with my grandmother in Buth’s having a chocolate malted probably only a couple of years after this picture was taken. You could look across the street through the window and see the roller coaster at Ramona Park, although the roller coaster was no longer operating by then.

• 8 months later...

3,000,000 feet of exhibit space would make GR one of the biggest in the country.  I wonder how much there is now. 

There's about a million just in Devos Place. If you add in the JW and AGP, Probably 1.2?

There's an interesting article about DVP in the Press today, with a great aerial photo of that area pre-convention center and pre-Hall of Justice.

• 4 months later...