New skyline pics

Skyscrapergeek

Not too hard to guess where I was when I took these...

Great old water tower.

DSCN2867.jpg

Wish this was taken in the Fall.

DSCN2914.jpg

Someone else found my spot.

DSCN2889.jpg

How's this for density?

2.jpg

Signature is going to look soooooo good in this group.

3.jpg

I love this angle.

NewImage.jpg

6.jpg

Did I mention I love this angle?

DSCN2957.jpg

Got to love our city.

DSCN2941.jpg

Can you imagine waking up to this view everyday?

DSCN2913.jpg

The End

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent shots! Always loved the skyline from the Capitol/Bicentennial mall POV, but no one ever seems to take pictures from that angle--so thanks for reading my mind. Do you have a higher res version of that second to last shot?

Those are some great shots. Its about time someone posted that view of the city from the

North of Nashville. There is one spot off of Dickerson Rd. that you can take that will

even show West End from a distance. Talk about Density...Whewww....

If someone give me instructions on how to post pictures I will try and

capture it for you all.

Notice the Cumberland peeking from behind the Capitol :D

Glad you guys liked the pics. I took them from the third floor of St. Cecilia Motherhouse.

SoundScan, I think I have a higher res. for that shot. I took a ton of pics and haven't been through them all yet. I'll try to find one.

Thanks Dave, I was thinking the same thing about Viridian and the crane. It was swinging back and forth as I was clicking away. The cranes for Signature will be "towering" to say the least.

Smeag, you're right. That view from the north has always been one of my favorites especially when it is more of a silhouette. Looks way taller than it really is.

Cheeriokid61, it's not a common shot for sure. I felt lucky to get up there and have all the time I wanted. Once all the construction workers left for the day, which was usually around 3 p.m., I had the place to myself or so I thought. The fifth pic is dark because there was not much lighting in the room yet. This dumb pigeon scared the crap out of me when I walked in the room. :whistling: It dove right at me, flapping it's wings all over the place. :w00t::angry: So I was trying not to startle it again with the flash. :blink:

Lexy, let me know when you get your camera back. It shouldn't be too much trouble getting back in there. We're running out of time though. I don't know when the Sisters plan to move back in.

Lukin, thanks. Pic #5 is one of my favorites too.

Thanks city watcher, I was laughing about the Cumberland too. It's like a little kid brother desperate for attention.

Glad you guys liked the pics. I took them from the third floor of St. Cecilia Motherhouse.

Wonderful Shots! That's without a doubt my favorite angle of the Nashville skyline. To me no other angle looks as dense. I love the way the Capitol building stand out also, and you are right about Signature. Imagine a 900 ft tower jutting up from the center of that dense cluster of buildings! It will be sweet!

Wonderful Shots! That's without a doubt my favorite angle of the Nashville skyline. To me no other angle looks as dense. I love the way the Capitol building stand out also, and you are right about Signature. Imagine a 900 ft tower jutting up from the center of that dense cluster of buildings! It will be sweet!

Thanks Hankster, I thought you might like those. I only hope I can get back to that spot after Signature is finished. When you're on 65 east of metro center before it turns north, there is a cool view too. There is a hole in the skyline just waiting to be filled by Signature. I've been looking around for spots to shoot during construction. I'm having a hard time waiting for the new plans to be released never mind construction. :blink:

Those are some really beautiful shots. North Nashville has some great views of the Nashville skyline that many have yet to see. I've always thought the capitol building looked stunning and unique in this angle the way it sits up on the hill all lit up. But I guess the Signature will steal some of it's thunder when it's plopped right in the middle of this shot.

I think you are right on with the shot of the Signature. Yes it will jut out that much. Looking at the renderings so far I would predict it will be almost every bit of 300 meters. That will be twice as tall as the old Suntrust building ( I think the American Center now). Those buildings change names way too much.

I think you are right on with the shot of the Signature. Yes it will jut out that much. Looking at the renderings so far I would predict it will be almost every bit of 300 meters. That will be twice as tall as the old Suntrust building ( I think the American Center now). Those buildings change names way too much.

Skyscraper.com has it as "Financial Center." Brother, I'll tell you I lose track of all the name changes. I had to correct myself from referring to Suntrust/Financial Center as the "3rd" Third National Bank Building (the old "2nd" Third now called Suntrust on the site of the Maxwell House, and the old "1st" Third diagnolly across the street which is now the Courtyard by Marriott). It seems like every high rise downtown has undergone two or three name changes (or four (!), like the Snodgrass, formerly the Tennessee Tower, formerly American General, formerly National Life & Accident; and the Sheraton, formerly Crowne Plaza; formerly Holiday Inn-Crowne Plaza; formerly Hyatt Regency - which I still refer to it as !). :blink:

Okay, just for fun.

SiggieDusk.jpg

Dave, that is awesome. If it ends up being 300 meters that looks just about right. Maybe a little shorter, like by the height of the spire, but I think your close. Thanks for doing that. It'll help me get by a bit longer. :D I might use that as my new desk top.

Holey moley! Dave, I think we have somewhere between an 1100 and 1200 footer here! Wow!

Looks a little tall, Dave. Although, I appreciate a glimpse at the future. Thanks.

Interesting thing about that angle... When the Terrazzo and Icon are finished, it will stretch the height further to the west (right in the picture). Plus whatever goes in at the roundabout and the Plaza of the Arts will add density to the gulch just to the right of Union Station in the photo. I would expect the building that goes in at Roundabout to be at least 12-14 stories. Also, if Giarratana and Palmer get their much taller buildings up in the gulch and WES respectively (anywhere from 3 to 5 talls), then there will be a lot of density moving to the right of that photo.

That view from I-65 north gets more and more impressive. IMO, the Capitol has to be the most beautiful thing from that angle.

Like I said, just for fun. And all of five minutes.

I agree, it's probably too tall, but maybe not too far off. Yeah, like Charlotte when BOA went up. Atlanta when Peachtree Plaza went up...and even us, when the L&C opened in '57. I guess we'll be like a teenager with big feet and have to wait a while to grow into them.

We'll need another couple of varying heights reasonably close by eventually to make it look really good. Don't know if that'll happen or not, but we'll always have Photoshop...we can just build our own. ;)

Archived