New skyline pics

Skyscrapergeek

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, it's probably too tall, but maybe not too far off. Yeah, like Charlotte when BOA went up. Atlanta when Peachtree Plaza went up...and even us, when the L&C opened in '57. I guess we'll be like a teenager with big feet and have to wait a while to grow into them.

We'll need another couple of varying heights reasonably close by eventually to make it look really good. Don't know if that'll happen or not, but we'll always have Photoshop...we can just build our own. ;)

You're exactly right Dave. It will definitely give us something to grow into. Even though I'm a huge fan of tall, I really enjoy a good mix of all kinds of development. Well rounded is good for a teenager's growth. :lol: For me, Signature kind of satisfies the height that I've wanted to see. It'll now be fun to see if someone comes up with some really unique, yet tasteful, designs to go with it. I still think a 700' hotel would look cool next to NCC. Or maybe farther west in the skyline closer to the interstate. I do like the spire theme taking shape in our skyline. Maybe we should stick one on top of the Snodgrass for symmetry. :rofl::blink:

Looks a little tall, Dave. Although, I appreciate a glimpse at the future. Thanks.

Interesting thing about that angle... When the Terrazzo and Icon are finished, it will stretch the height further to the west (right in the picture). Plus whatever goes in at the roundabout and the Plaza of the Arts will add density to the gulch just to the right of Union Station in the photo. I would expect the building that goes in at Roundabout to be at least 12-14 stories. Also, if Giarratana and Palmer get their much taller buildings up in the gulch and WES respectively (anywhere from 3 to 5 talls), then there will be a lot of density moving to the right of that photo.

That view from I-65 north gets more and more impressive. IMO, the Capitol has to be the most beautiful thing from that angle.

The skyline is definitely moving west with the Gulch, Roundabout Plaza, the West End Summit, Midtown, and even the Adelicia and a probable 2nd tower next to it. Before long it will take panorama shots just the get the entire skyline in view! I can't wait to see some more of Lexy's shots after these projects are completed.

Any chance you could add NCCII to the picture as well? That might give us an idea of what another taller building might do to balance a skyline with Sig Tower in it.

Here you go Hankster. :thumbsup: Courtesy of my good friend and fellow skyscrapergeek Daivd. We shrunk Signature down to a "conservative" 950ish feet, put the NCC II in place, took the Viridian crane out and gave the snodgrass a new hat. We also stuck the red lights on top even though they're not necessary.

SiggieDusktew.jpg

Is the signature tower really going to be that tall? Because to me thats just a tad bit to much

still cant wait for construction though.

Nobody really knows for sure, at least I don't. This is just a shot in the dark based on the rendering on Paradigm's website. This could be too tall by a hundred feet or so but we're guessing it's going to be in the 900' to 984' range. You're right, it very well could be shorter than this but this is within the limits of possibility. Sure is fun to hope.

Here you go Hankster. :thumbsup: Courtesy of my good friend and fellow skyscrapergeek Daivd. We shrunk Signature down to a "conservative" 950ish feet, put the NCC II in place, took the Viridian crane out and gave the snodgrass a new hat. We also stuck the red lights on top even though they're not necessary.

SiggieDusktew.jpg

Great job!!! I really think it looks much better with those additions. The NCCII adds significant balance to the Sig Tower. We really need a big office project to come along and maybe another 50 story condo project as well. That's about all it would take to transform the Nashville skyline into one of the best in the South (better than current Charlotte, IMO).

i like it! looks like a big middle finger to those that think we're just a small podunk hick town.

So other towns such as Charleston and Savannah are 'podunk hick towns' because they don't have high-rise development?? I have yet to understand the skyscraper infatuation/ look-at-us now inferiority complex.

i like it! looks like a big middle finger to those that think we're just a small podunk hick town.

Ah, yes. Nothing says "urbane sophistication" and "focal point of civilization" like a giant phallic "f u bee otch" streaking across the sky, higher and more ambitious than the old timey spires of Government and Faith.

It's a wonder the Fiorentines don't bulldoze their cathedral, or their city hall, and erect giant muppet-buildings in their place, with metallic ping pong paddles of grossly misproportioned condom recepticle tips at their pointy "middle finger" ends.

With dialogue like this, the odds of Nashville losing its place as the Athens of the South and becoming the Las Vegas of the Cumberland Plateau seem higher than ever. Who are these people? And have they traveled?

Snodgrass Tower needs a serious renovation/cleaning. I went there for a meeting a couple years ago, and was appalled at the intertior - i remember it as feeling like a dirty hospital. The exterior is filthy and looks crusty up close. And I won't even comment on the barren 'public plaza' area that makes me feel sad and lonely every time I get near it. (Go try it - you'll see. Great views of the sunset, however.) Didn't someone on here mention a while back that news was forthcoming on a clean-up? Any updates?

oh have a sense of humor people. this was directed at those who do not see that nashville is growing. while charleston, savannah and those italian cities that were mentioned are very sophisticated, they are not looked upon as hick towns as nashville is. they are older and have more history downtown than nashville does. it's like comparing apples to oranges. nashville has always been looked upon by those "urbane sophistication" people as a hick town with nothing to offer. the signature tower is just that. a signature tower in which nashville can be proud of and show off it's new found growth. just because it's not some historical building does not make it less important. remember, the colliseum in rome was probably looked at as a giant phallic symbol when it was first built. now it's a historical masterpiece.

oh have a sense of humor people. this was directed at those who do not see that nashville is growing. while charleston, savannah and those italian cities that were mentioned are very sophisticated, they are not looked upon as hick towns as nashville is. they are older and have more history downtown than nashville does. it's like comparing apples to oranges. nashville has always been looked upon by those "urbane sophistication" people as a hick town with nothing to offer. the signature tower is just that. a signature tower in which nashville can be proud of and show off it's new found growth. just because it's not some historical building does not make it less important. remember, the colliseum in rome was probably looked at as a giant phallic symbol when it was first built. now it's a historical masterpiece.

Amen to that!

this was directed at those who do not see that nashville is growing. while charleston, savannah and those italian cities that were mentioned are very sophisticated, they are not looked upon as hick towns as nashville is. they are older and have more history downtown than nashville does. it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Who cares what others think? This feeds more and more the inferiority complex. Why can't we have big buildings like Atlanta, or whoever else has a lot of high-rise development?

I understand we're never going to be Charleston/ Savannah/ any European city, but I'm talking how they develop their cities (even today) and not at recreating history. To say we're comparing apples to oranges goes the same to your argument, (generalization coming), I want to be considered on the same level as Chicago/ NYC. Sorry, but that will never happen.

Why can't we learn from the cities that value pedestrian scaled development to high rises? Create great neighborhoods where we can live/ work/ play and who cares what others think. I find it interesting that cities, such as have been mentioned, continue to build along the lines of midrise-lowrise even with the technological advance of elevators. Only one city has seemed to get the high-rise correct, Vancouver, with its strict codes. Take a look at the Viridian next time you're downtown and note the side next to L&C. Those units are going to eternally be in a light-less canyon, definitely not enjoying the 'views' that this type of development had hoped for.

A lot of the presumption that Nashville is podunk falls on the fact that it's in the south, and worst off, it's in Tennessee. We know Nashville is/ could be a great city far beyond what one building is going to show. It's already evident in the fact corporate relocation(albeit primarily suburban) chooses here and the growth and tourism we are seeing. If someone wants to think we're hicks with nothing to offer, let them, there's not much you can do about ignorance.

One question that keeps coming back, (and I must be in the wrong place to get an answer) what are benefits that high-rises provide over others? So far, all I'm hearing is economic prowess, growth, and because their cool. You know, some sections of our society like to have a Cleveland steamer now and again, but does that make it right for the rest of us? (enough sense of humor for you?)

I've got to reference Newtowners statement in another thread-this seems to be a skyscraper fan club of sorts. Maybe I'm in the wrong place as I see value in other development types and I don't want to seem to be pissing in your cheerios(not an attack on Cheeriokid, I mean no harm and won't urinate on you) and was looking for a dialogue on the urban environment.

Archived