City Pondering New Tourist Destination

smeagolsfree

Paula, about the WannaDo city thing. There isn't one here, but there's something similar. It's called Exchange city. Basically, its a field trip for elementary school kids (I did it in 6th grade). What happens, is everyone picks a job, and everyone votes on a mayor and a judge (You're speaking to the former mayor of Exhange City!). Then, there are other jobs. Then, there are shops people work in. Banks, sign shops, government office (mayor, judge, policemen), techonology store, etc., each which specializes in its own thing. Each one has a manager and other worker. The people get paid according to their jobs, and can buy things made in the shops. You use a checkbook, and keep track of your money, try to keep your business out of debt, and learn how a city works. It's a lot of fun.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While having family/kids activities in DT is good, I have been around enough to know that few cities have museums in DT (like 2nd and Broadway) and the only one that comes to mind was very cramped. I don't typically expect to find water parks, roller coasters, & museums in the DT core. Water parks and roller coasters waste too much space. Science/History/Art is ok. I really don't have a problem with Adventure Science Center's location

While having family/kids activities in DT is good, I have been around enough to know that few cities have museums in DT (like 2nd and Broadway) and the only one that comes to mind was very cramped. I don't typically expect to find water parks, roller coasters, & museums in the DT core. Water parks and roller coasters waste too much space. Science/History/Art is ok. I really don't have a problem with Adventure Science Center's location

What is that place in STL called... the city museum or somethin like that? That would be a pretty cool place to have in DT nash. It's like a combination museum and kids playground type place.... kinda a really unique place. It's been a while since i've been... but the one thing that I remember that stands out is the huge playground place thats outdoors... where kids, and I guess adults for that matter, can go climb all around this place that's made outta like scrap metal or somethin? and there is an old plane attached at the top somewhere.

All of that stuff in STL is in Forest park with the Missouri History museum on the back side (Forest Park Prkwy) with the STL Zoo and the STL Science Center along I-64 (Hwy 40) in the front. I have not seen any science center that compares (IMO this is STL nbr one attraction). Anyway, Forest Park is about 5 miles from DT STL in an area known as Central West End (along with a bad name and Compton bordering the south side LOL!!!)

All of that stuff in STL is in Forest park with the Missouri History museum on the back side (Forest Park Prkwy) with the STL Zoo and the STL Science Center along I-64 (Hwy 40) in the front. I have not seen any science center that compares (IMO this is STL nbr one attraction). Anyway, Forest Park is about 5 miles from DT STL in an area known as Central West End (along with a bad name and Compton bordering the south side LOL!!!)

Yah the STL Science Center is really nice... and if I remember right... very affordable (as in, free?). The STL zoo is also free, other than parking.

But I was talking about a place downtown. I think it is called the city museum... now I gotta look it up lol. Here we go... City Museum Now that I look at their website, this place has a lot more than I remember it having too. The attraction I was referring to is MonstroCity. I know kids really like that one... and some adults :P

It would be really cool to see Nashville do something unique like this... maybe with a music twist... such as using some of ATLBrain's ideas?

I don't know much about the City Museum as it was opened when I was leaving STL. But, STL does have two unique attractions that is worth checking out: The Magic House in Kirkwood and The Butterfly House.

I've always said STL is probably the best place to visit I know. And yes, the science center, the zoo, AB tour (beer!!), and Grants Farm (more beer!!) are all free. Pay parking at science center and zoo, or ask me and I'll tell ya where you can park for free!!!! (If you can find a space........)

I think a few museums would be as good as anything else. Maybe just natural history museum, a modern art museum, and something original, like the music museum, and Nashville could have a very good tourism base. Think about Chicago. They are known for having great museums, ie the Field Museum, Aquarium, and others. Aquarium. It'd be cool for Nashville to have an aquarium, but it wouldn't be necessary, with the giants in Chattanooga and Gatlinburg nearby.

LA_TN's mention of the Anheuser-Busch brewery as a tourist draw in St. Louis reminded me of the Jack Daniel's museum/store that is purported to open at First Ave. and Broadway (correct me if I'm wrong). Count downtown whiskey education as a tourist destination!

Archived