RDU to add Sheetz Gas station and resturants?

I just read the article in the news and observer. N&O 5/13/06

Apparently Sheetz Gas station wants to build a 16 pump facility there similar to the one off of US 1 and the one in Fuquay-Varina on 401. Also there will be resturant and retail on the 6-acre parcel of land at the airport. I think it's about time RDU set up some kind of Retail like places for those who are coming into town or are doing business at the airport or dropping friends and family off for flights. I'm very shocked there is not a hotel or two on the premises also. Long overdue in my opinion.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Hilton on Airport Blvd. right near the airport.

The airport, not the region.

So Sheetz is needed for the Hilton? The Sheetz in Mebane is doing well. I know RDU is trying to enhance its image further. I wouldn't want Sheetz to be the first thing I see in North Carolina when I rent my car and drive to RTP or Raleigh especially for the first time.

Good idea !! Like the Conoco at Denver International. A place to get gas before you return your rent-a car and buy some items for your flight without having to fight the intersection at the mall looking for a place to get gas. If you don't live here, it could be hard to find gas for the hurried traveller.

My guess is people have complained about trying to find a gas station in that area while trying to hurry back to catch their plane. No one wants to have their company pay $4 a gallon just to fill up the tank at the car rental place. No one wants to search for a long time just to find a gas station.

Also provides a place where people waiting to pick up people can wait or get something.

The majority of people who will use this station are from out of town and it will make their life easier. Anything that makes it easier for out-of-towners and business travelers means they will speak highly of the airport and area. I wonder if maybe they will not start putting some of the rental car locations near this location.

Again, at Denver, people go to the Conoco to gas up their rentals and it is one of the first things you see. Now all we need is a small parking lot for people to wait near the station or on the property so when people land, they make a phone call and their ride is there ready to drive up.

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea !! Like the Conoco at Denver International. A place to get gas before you return your rent-a car and buy some items for your flight without having to fight the intersection at the mall looking for a place to get gas. If you don't live here, it could be hard to find gas for the hurried traveller.

My guess is people have complained about trying to find a gas station in that area while trying to hurry back to catch their plane. No one wants to have their company pay $4 a gallon just to fill up the tank at the car rental place. No one wants to search for a long time just to find a gas station.

Also provides a place where people waiting to pick up people can wait or get something.

The majority of people who will use this station are from out of town and it will make their life easier. Anything that makes it easier for out-of-towners and business travelers means they will speak highly of the airport and area. I wonder if maybe they will not start putting some of the rental car locations near this location.

Again, at Denver, people go to the Conoco to gas up their rentals and it is one of the first things you see. Now all we need is a small parking lot for people to wait near the station or on the property so when people land, they make a phone call and their ride is there ready to drive up.

I know that Denver station well....I am there every other week on business for Big O Tires HQ

I just read the article in the news and observer. N&O 5/13/06

Apparently Sheetz Gas station wants to build a 16 pump facility there similar to the one off of US 1 and the one in Fuquay-Varina on 401. Also there will be resturant and retail on the 6-acre parcel of land at the airport. I think it's about time RDU set up some kind of Retail like places for those who are coming into town or are doing business at the airport or dropping friends and family off for flights. I'm very shocked there is not a hotel or two on the premises also. Long overdue in my opinion.

Darn, I thought I'd escaped the reach of Sheetz. They do need a gas station near the airport, though.

I thought Sheetz was the sandwich shop where you order with a touch-screen device instead of talking to the 17-year-old nitwit behind the counter. I ate at one in the Hanes Mall food court in Winston-Salem once.

I thought Sheetz was the sandwich shop where you order with a touch-screen device instead of talking to the 17-year-old nitwit behind the counter. I ate at one in the Hanes Mall food court in Winston-Salem once.
That's the only Sheetz like that. The rest have convenience stores and gas stations attached.

What's everyone's beef with Sheetz? I'll admit I've only been to one or two, but both of those were very nice, had many gas pumps, and you could pay with cash at the pump if you wanted. I didn't go inside, b/c I was just buying gas, but I really didn't find anything objectionable about them. And the gas was some of the cheapest around.

What's everyone's beef with Sheetz? I'll admit I've only been to one or two, but both of those were very nice, had many gas pumps, and you could pay with cash at the pump if you wanted. I didn't go inside, b/c I was just buying gas, but I really didn't find anything objectionable about them. And the gas was some of the cheapest around.

I agree, I like Sheetz for their gas prices alone. No objection here.

Archived