Thoughts on W-S Newest Strategy to Fight Urban Sprawl

twincity

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think its a good idea but i feel that this will have a minimal effect on our sprawl problems. i see lots of potential in some of these shopping centers, especially Ogburn Station and West salem shopping center. do u think this is a good idea?

article

Like so many other things this sounds like a very good idea but may just get watered down so much it becomes ineffective. The whole Triad really needs a regional development plan. A rigid one too, that will force developers to infill rather than sprawl and that the city will not wimp out on.

The easiest strategies to fight sprawl are to stop the outer beltway and to set up a transfer of development rights program to sell the rights to develop farmland and green space outside of Winston to those who wish to build greater density within Winston.

Policywise, not hard. Politically, a nightmare.

The outer beltway is a big mistake. If the money could be re-appropriated for rebuilding the city's streetcar system, then you'd have something.

The easiest strategies to fight sprawl are to stop the outer beltway and to set up a transfer of development rights program to sell the rights to develop farmland and green space outside of Winston to those who wish to build greater density within Winston.

The outer beltway is a big mistake. If the money could be re-appropriated for rebuilding the city's streetcar system, then you'd have something.

But see 52 is already crowded to the max and it is only going to get worse over the coming years so we need an alternative. Either widen 52 or build the beltway. I vote widen 52.

I completely agree. I applaud the city's decision to aid infill in the city as there are plenty of areas that could be redeveloped.

Archived