Favorite DT Raleigh Hangouts

Justin6882

Awesome - I'm the first person to post in here ;)

I just wanted to get opinions of some of the younger people on here (or older if you still go out :P ) of your favorite bar/club/restaurant to hangout with your friends on the weekend, or for a beer after work. I'm sure there are quite a few places that people haven't been (at least I know I haven't been to quite a few of them). Include what kind of crowd is there, if they have music, live bands, whatever or if there is a particular night it is livilier than others so we can know when or when not to stop by.

I'll start -

My favorite place to go out on the weekends is White Collar Crime on Davie/Dawson Streets. It has a good mix of music and a mixed crowd of people. Lately though, its been so packed you can't move around. I'm hoping with the new places opening up in the Warehouse/Depot area that the crowds will thin out a little bit.

My favorite place for after work is probably Flying Saucer, especially in the Spring/Summer/Fall when you can sit out on the patio and people watch. Beware, Monday is "college night" so it gets pretty packed, but all the draft beer is $2.50. I also hit up Woody's pretty regularly for games or to eat dinner since its close to my house.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I get to Raleigh I frequent the following:

Woody's

Hibernian

Mojo's

Tir Na Nog

Duck and Dumpling (food)

Kings

Cafe Luna (food)

Mitch's (one of my favorites)

The Brewery (haven't been in a while)

Places I need to check out but haven't yet:

Slim's

Capitol Room

Alibi's

Enoteca Vin

Bogarts/Hi5

Lilly's

^Slim's is a cool place, kinda dark and there weren't many people there when I went, but I hear they have good music from time to time.

Lilly's has the best freakin calzone I've ever eaten - definitely try one of those, as well as their pizza when you go. Everything is good there.

Capital Room is a very laid back kinda place, a couple TV's and a small food menu. Has never been crowded when I went, seems like more of a blue collar type place, from what I've observed. The food I did have there was good, however, and the bartenders were all really nice.

I absolutely love Cafe Luna. It is very intimate, and the food is great. i also love Big Ed's, Mellow Mushroom, and Char Grill. Downtown Raleigh has really unique hangouts that appeal to the youth and the growing families.

I believe Alibi has been discussed on here before - but is that where Martin Street Music used to be?

Also, is there a particular night Aries is better b/c the one time I went it was pretty dead, and I believe that was a Saturday.

Alibi is in the basement of the Martin Street Music building. It used to be called Lizzie's. It's pretty much the same type of place, if you ever made it to Lizzie's.

Aries suffers from very poor management. They change the theme/music of their various nights on a whim. For example, Friday nights used to be old school hip hop & r&B, now they are goth/industrial. They also have some of the worst bartenders I've ever seen. The only time I go any more is on first Saturdays... some friends of mine put on a House music night.

My favorite spot right now is a tie btwn White Collar & Five Star, the old reliable.

I know this has not been up for a day yet, but it is somewhat interesting as to what places have not been mentioned yet:

- larger places/"discos" - Jillians, the Office, Club Oxygen, Aura/Rush lounge, Legends.

- music venues - Lincoln Theater, Pour House, Berkley Cafe

- high end restaurants with bars - Second Empire, Nana's, 42nd Street, Sullivans, Vin, Southend, Bogards.

- lower restaurant/bars - El Rodeo, Pooles, Hard Times, Vics, 518, Napper Tandys

- "other" places - Dive bar, Around the Corner, Stool Pigeons, Rum Runners, Tony's cafe, Blue Martini

Where I end up depends on what kind of mood I'm in and who I'm with. I hope Times Bar does well, and ideally Helios would open something in/near City Market to keep Starbucks at bay.

Isn't there a coffee shop in City Market already? I forget the name - and it doesn't stay open very late, but I think one is there.

Time's Bar is looking very nice from the outside and coming along on the inside as well. I'm very excited for it to open.

Isn't there a coffee shop in City Market already? I forget the name - and it doesn't stay open very late, but I think one is there.

Time's Bar is looking very nice from the outside and coming along on the inside as well. I'm very excited for it to open.

Tony's Cafe

Tony's cafe in City Market to me is not too inviting -- limited, spread out seating, dark hardwood floors and walls, etc. Also, it closes too early -- 6pm except for First Fridays -- the same thing plaguing Port City (maybe that will change when Fayetville opens back up?) and La Joy/Sosta (though I haven't been by there since they reopened).

If you can beat the crowds (or don't mind them), 2.50 pints at Flying Saucer are great.

I've been wanting to try out white collar crime's 80s night on Thursdays, but don't want to be disappointed with a lesser version of the Five O's version back in the day.

RE: Hillsborough street, does anyone know how late the two new sandwich shops are open, and if they're any good? Also, is the new place where the Comet used to be fun?

i really like Slim's, Aries, the gay bars, Flying Saucer, Jackpot!, and Rockford. A lot of places tend to be a little 'trendy' for me, so I stick to my favorites, although I would like to go to some other places, I am kind of afraid. The clientele look like the types that will point and laugh at my clothes. I think a lot of this is in my head, the by-product of being picked on in middle school. Anyway, that coffee shop in city market is like a christian place or something. I might be confused, but i swear i went once, and they gave me a bible verse with my coffee. that is a huge turnoff to me. Oh, the food at nana's is awesome. go there. it is worth getting dressed up, and coming from me, that says a lot.

My favorite hangouts:

Oxygen

The Office

Aura

Legends

CC (Capitol Corral)

Armadillo Grill

Tir Na Nog

Jillians

Flying Saucer

Flex (thursdays only)

Actually, flex on Monday nights used to be my fav place. very laid back, people playing pool, drinking, chatting, and a nice mix of older/younger guys. From what I hear, a lot of people are going for kareoke on Sunday nights now. Jackpot is awesome, too, although its been many months since I've been there.

For food, because I'm poor, I stick with MoJoes, Armadillo, Joes Place (thank GOD it stayed open-- food is great and cheap). Also, I like to stop in at Turkish Delights and get ice cream or Baklava. Very nice family owned desert place across from 518 West on Glenwood.

I enjoy Aries simply because it has a diverse clientele, which is probably because they change the theme nights (or whatever you call them) so often... I agree it kind of seems to be schizophrenic, but to me that just makes it more interesting, as I never know what to expect when going. I usually go out by myself since most of my friends have relocated, and it is a place I feel comfortable doing that. I always end up meeting some interesting people to talk to at the bar. Maybe I just like it because I am an Aries :P

Also, the little purple house is so cute... it is a nice place to get some dessert, and the people who work there are so friendly...

I am probably one of the oldest people here (early 40s) but I like Lizzie's (alibi) and Slims. I do make it to Rockford some and The Flying Saucer if I am meeting friends. I use to go to Havana's a lot late night. I also go to Moonlight sometimes. It has been a long time since I have been to 5 Star but I like that place. I guess it is still open?

My least favorite is Bogart's and some of those bars near that end. I went to Lucky B's the other night with a friend who was in town and we went there late night after a few at Hibernia. The street was packed and there were some wasted people in Lucky B's. I have been a bar hound all my life and have never been in a scuffle but there were some wasted people in LB's and I wanted to make sure some young guy full on Jaegermiester did not decide to take a punch at the older guy (me) to make him feel better about himself.

Lucky B's appears to be the kind of bar they should just run a hose and wash down every night.

I've thought about trying to organize a "try going someplace different" type of group, but not sure if I could pull it off... To let downtown bar owners there are people who care about making downtonw a good place to hang out in.

But I don't get out much lately... partly because of winter, partly because I just feel oldish, partly because i don't want to spend the money, partly because too feel "judged" because I'm not just out of college and have money to burn on my wardrobe. I don't have that problem at woody's or el rodeo though! I have "solo'd" there, flying saucer and Hibernian, but it has been a while.

I think raleigh needs a "hose it out nightly" kind of bar (other than the longbranch), just to mix things up, but I don't plan on going there.

I think raleigh needs a "hose it out nightly" kind of bar (other than the longbranch), just to mix things up, but I don't plan on going there.

I agree. The one thing about Glenwood South and probably due to cost of set up is the bars tend to be high end. I think Bates Bateglia has done a good job of getting in some "basic Bars" like Aura and Lucky B's that offer good times without having to dress up and spend $7-$10 a drink.

Nothing like a "Slam-a-rama"

Archived