Favorite DT Raleigh Hangouts

Justin6882

I've thought about trying to organize a "try going someplace different" type of group, but not sure if I could pull it off... To let downtown bar owners there are people who care about making downtonw a good place to hang out in.

But I don't get out much lately... partly because of winter, partly because I just feel oldish, partly because i don't want to spend the money, partly because too feel "judged" because I'm not just out of college and have money to burn on my wardrobe. I don't have that problem at woody's or el rodeo though! I have "solo'd" there, flying saucer and Hibernian, but it has been a while.

I think raleigh needs a "hose it out nightly" kind of bar (other than the longbranch), just to mix things up, but I don't plan on going there.

What do you mean exactly...I only kind of get it because I would never use the Long Branch as an example of anything.....

I am always afraid that anything too perfect will get overrun by Glenwood Southers eventually. Maybe if there is some actual grit to a place that would not happen...everything is so freakin' shiny downtown now, whether its Dive Bar and its pathetic beer selection or Bogarts/Hi-5/Red Room and the faux-big city image they think they are projecting, most places are too clean and precise feeling for me....I assume a place that "hoses it out nightly" is nothing like that?

BTW, I am 31 and never felt out of place in college bars or more adult places...I kind of assumed you were in that ballpark too?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea is that a bar don't have to be "perfect" like Hi 5, Red Room, Jillians, etc. A true dive bar, not "Dive Bar" which it is in name only. No couches, no fruit infused martinis, no cover charge, no theme nights -- just ice cold beer, liquor + mixer drinks, a couple of tvs to watch the game, as little light as possible, some quarter pool tables, a dart board or two, and a juke box or small, dirty dance floor. The closest examples would include jackpot (but is a bit far from DT proper) comet (back in the day, haven't been in years) stingray (closed, and got too trendy near the end) stool pigeons (though the long bar doesn't help, and they used to do silly stuff like nightwear contests) kings (on nights they don't book bands) 42nd street oyster bar on some nights (though the bands they get only play 70s and 80s covers) and maybe office tavern (though I've never been inside).

Marrz (in its early days) and the old Charlie Goodnights' new bar were fun in their time for what they were. I keep meaning to check out Underground, but don't know when is a good night, if any. Aries might pull this off if they just stick to something. I still need to pick up my membership from there, if it hasn't expired already.

I'm 32 and have been going out somewhat regularly around here since I got a newcastle on tap from the Five O on my 21st birthday, though have slowed down a lot in the last year or so. I'll do the "grown up" thing at sullivans or wherever once in a while, but won't make a habit of it.

Moonlight - for good food and drinks with friends, the outdoor seating is a plus.

Rockford - same as above, minus the outdoor seating

Hi-5 - pretty good for a sports bar (except when they start playing disco music before the damn game is over. uggghh!)

Big Ed's - for the Saturday morning hangover killer

Porter's - for a nice dinner at an affordable price

Sushi Blues - raw fish is yummy

Hibernian - best all around bar, fireplace for cold weather and outdoor seating for warm weather, they have a non-smoking area, and finally......nobody outdrinks the Irish!

the new cupcake place across the street probably won't help them much either... then again, with amra's opening, maybe they will draw more people up that way. i love the purple house, i hope they stay around.

There were more people walking around downtown Saturday morning than I've ever seen in a while. Sam and Wallys, the convenience store, and the Fayetville Street level restaurant in the Sheraton were all open and had some people in them. I'm usually not up an out early enough to get to big eds by the time they close at noon, but they were pretty full at 11:30. I don't know why they don't stay open till 1 or so like they do during the week.

While taking pictures around downtown, and then at Times Bar, Greg Hatem came out. He said they had a party/reunion for ex-Raleigh Times workers on Friday night and about 70-80 people showed up. The evening paper was run by the Daniels family since the 50s and shut down in 1989. It will open to the general public in a week or so. This could be a future favorite hangout.

I used to go to Capital Fitness somewhat often, but for some reason i've had an anti-resolution and have been a lot less often this year.

Went to Moonlight Pizza last night. Pizza was excellent. Our bartender was a bit surly.

LOL......smallish, thin blondish red hair guy maybe with a mustache, has a matter of fact attitude ?

Yes, its quite a cute place and delicious deserts. I try to give them business because it always seems like the place is almost dead :-( You should check it out.

Yea, I do too. My guess with spring/summer coming on, since it is a ICE cream place, business will pick up. I also go to the Moroccan Cafe on Hills bough St, the old Starbucks/Bailey's lunch place. Go in there at night and smoke the Houcka and listen to middle eastern/Moroccan music.

Times Bar looks really cool folks! I poked my head in there yesdarday and it's very close to complete. A huge mural/photo on the wall when you walk in. There's something about an old bldg like that that you can't recreate. I'm certain I will be going there very soon. :)

Hey, perhaps an interim forum meetup at the opening?

Times Bar looks really cool folks! I poked my head in there yesdarday and it's very close to complete. A huge mural/photo on the wall when you walk in. There's something about an old bldg like that that you can't recreate. I'm certain I will be going there very soon. :)

Hey, perhaps an interim forum meetup at the opening?

I would like to piggy back on this comment and put in another plug for the preservation of the buildings at the SE corner of Wilmington and Martin...the postcard photo that Flash took a while back. Right accross from teh RBC headquarters, with say its Panera Bread, wouldn't be awesome to have something like say Joe and Jos in Durham? Only an old building will do. Maybe a Regulator style book store...again, only an old building ;)

Archived