Urban Geek Gatherings

Vitamin_N

I thought I'd start a topic dedicated to public events that might be of interest to the people on this forum. I'll start it off with the next "Civic By Design" forum, which is tomorrow evening. (I'm not actively involved with the CBD group, but I'm on their e-mail list, and I wanted to pass this along.)

Civic By Design Forum

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 5:30pm

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anybody interested...

THE INSTITUTE OF CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE & CLASSICAL AMERICA

CHARLOTTE CHAPTER

PRESENTS

Looking for an Agora in Charlotte

A discussion of Charlotte's Historic Center City

March 21, 2006 5:30 PM

The Mint Museum of Craft and Design

220 North Tryon Street

Charlotte, North Carolina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Charlotte chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Classical America (ICA&CA) will host its members and guests for a presentation that explores the architectural conception of Charlotte's Center City at the turn of the 20th Century.

Jeffery FC Dalzell, a local architect with Little Diversified Architectural Consulting and member of the ICA&CA, will be the speaker for the event and will examine the arrival of the American Classical Renaissance in Charlotte nearly one hundred years ago. Jeffery Dalzell's lecture entitled, "Looking for an Agora in Charlotte" will explore evidence of classical craft and design present in the ornament of the buildings along Trade and Tryon Streets. The lecture will examine elements of pattern, motif, proportion, configuration and other marks left by this turn of the century architectural movement. Mr. Dalzell will illustrate the manner in which these components come together in the buildings of Center City creating monuments that offer great aesthetic appeal, evoke civic pride and bind the urbanite and all residents of Charlotte to their cultural past. Finally Mr. Dalzell will examine whether or not the Charlotte of tomorrow could draw upon it's classical past for inspiration as it continues to grow and develop.

Jeffery FC Dalzell is an Architect specializing in college planning and design. A native of Massachusetts, Mr. Dalzell received his Bachelor degree in Liberal Arts from Williams College in 1987 and his Master's in Architecture from Harvard's Graduate School of Design in 1991. He has practiced in Boston and Chicago, but made Charlotte his home in 1997 when he came to work for the College & University group of Little Diversified Architectural Consulting. Since then Mr. Dalzell has made Traditional Architecture his passion and has designed award-winning buildings that reflect this passion for Davidson and Greensboro Colleges. He wrote the 2000 Master Plan for Central Piedmont Community College's Central Campus and is currently working on a renovation to the Fa

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea where to post this so here ya go.

Did anyone listen to Charlotte Talks on NPR this morning? I only got the last couple min. of the show. They were talking about (i think) Charlottes Neighborhood Development Division, which apparently was made to help improve the health and quality of neighborhoods. At the end they brought up NoDa so I was wondering if it was focused on creating walkable urban neighborhoods or dealing with HOA's and enforcing rules and laws?

Either way, there is suppose to be a neighborhood symposium I think on the 22nd. For anyone who listened to the show, will this be worth a trip to? The link to the site doesn't work for me.

And what happened to our "off topic", and "meetings and events" threads? My slow work connection doesn't like the search function...

Mo

Archived